Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA lies to passengers: rolling delays and false departure times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA lies to passengers: rolling delays and false departure times

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These are all minor annoyances which are part of commercial aviation and sticking to safety over comfort. The EGE connection makes things tough but it sounds as though everyone made it.

I also hope that as a very specific matter you understand that it's fine to use military ID as government-issued ID for purposes of travel but not to gain special benefits unless on orders. Thus, you get the baggage allowance of any other passenger.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
+1
Even if you don't want to rent a car, plenty of private Escalade/SUV type car services to shuttle you between DIA and Vail. If the destination is Vail, I never understood why people would connect to fly into Eagle, especially backtracking to LAX from AUS?? EGE is really only useful if your going to Aspen when the length of your flight excludes flying into ASE airport.
For me, when DFW-EGE is running (winter or summer) - there's no reason to go to DEN and risk I-70 closures. Eagle gets little snow comparatively, and is rarely closed or delayed. Traffic through Denver can be a crapshoot, I've missed flights in the summer due to accidents on more than one occasion.

Bottom line - skipping EGE for DEN is foolish, in my opinion.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
As for the ATC delays, its winter time in North America. And as for the mx issues, repairable and we assume repaired. Better than some of the alternatives. Sorry for your delays.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
A tear of break in the cargo hold liner is a real thing.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by reeg2
For me, when DFW-EGE is running (winter or summer) - there's no reason to go to DEN and risk I-70 closures.
That's what I said, if you are flying n/s to EGE, then go for it. But if you have to connect to DFW to get to EGE that's extra time and risk.

I-70 closures and delays you can see accurately on GPS and some places have alternates.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zski1
....agent said "are you first class? No? Then we only allow first class to have up to 70 pounds, you're gonna have to take a couple things out of your bag and put it in another bag". I understand the rules and that military NOT on orders don't get over 50 pounds; I've also loaded bags on a plane before and know that it's hard work, but this was literally one pound over the limit...
A terrible sequence of events, no doubt, but the above is definitely -not- part of any legitimate complaint on your part. And, respectfully, the "mixing in" of you being in the military in this context I personally find a bit off-putting in terms of what you were entitled to in this context and what you got vs what you were angling for. Again, with -great- respect for military service.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
OP - not much to say other than those issues happen. I do agree that there is no reason for ticket counter staff to not be polite, but we know they get their fair share of attitude so chalk it up to a bad day and enjoy your trip.

Regarding the advice to fly to DEN over EGE, that's just silly. EGE is way more reliable than most ski resort airports in my experience and, as mentioned, you could easily find yourself stuck in Denver.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
A terrible sequence of events, no doubt, but the above is definitely -not- part of any legitimate complaint on your part. And, respectfully, the "mixing in" of you being in the military in this context I personally find a bit off-putting in terms of what you were entitled to in this context and what you got vs what you were angling for. Again, with -great- respect for military service.
Agreed. Someone who can craft a multiple paragraph complaint surely can weigh their bag before leaving for the airport.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by zski1
Did we just have a bad day, or are days like this just to be expected for the foreseeable future, and if so, is the grass greener anywhere else?

-z
I'd say you're pretty fortunate to be traveling to a nice resort with 11 loved ones. All things considered with winter travel, connections and multiple itineraries seems like not that bad of a day. The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it so I would probably just let it go and enjoy your time with family.

Speaking from experience losing many people close to me and not having much family left... enjoy your time and let travel frustrations go. Just my .02. Have a good trip.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 869

Regarding the advice to fly to DEN over EGE, that's just silly. EGE is way more reliable than most ski resort airports in my experience and, as mentioned, you could easily find yourself stuck in Denver.
So you would fly AUS-LAX-EGE and DCA-ORD-EGE over AUS-DEN and DCA-DEN?

Last edited by rufflesinc; Jan 13, 2017 at 11:04 am
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
So you would fly AUS-LAX-EGE over AUS-DEN?
AUS-DFW-EGE.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:14 am

a general observation: I don't find having to connect to vail EGE to be more advantageous than flying nonstop to DEN and getting a rental car
If the passes/tunnel etc are open. At this time of the year, they could be closed and you are stuck on the wrong side of the range.

OP - I think because you had a large group travelling multiple routes, the glitches were more apparent to you. No one incident is a "deal-breaker" to me.

edit: I see a couple others also commented on the road situation.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:28 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Statistically, stuff happens. If you'd been flying alone and just had your experience, would you ask for compensation? Probably not. You had 11 people flying with connections in the winter, and stuff happened to 7 of the 11, by my count. Each is annoying but relatively inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. But I don't think you're entitled to compensation for simply because you somehow absorbed 7 people's headaches.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:34 am

So you would fly AUS-LAX-EGE and DCA-ORD-EGE over AUS-DEN and DCA-DEN?

Do you even fly AA?
Agree with the other poster, there is no AUS-DEN or DCA-DEN nonstop on AA
You're gonna connect somewhere, might as well fly into Vail if that's where you ultimately need to be.

a general observation: I don't find having to connect to vail EGE to be more advantageous than flying nonstop to DEN and getting a rental car
Do you even ski?
Plenty reasons to fly directly into Vail.
I've flown into Den and EGE tons. In addition to weather that can close the roads, there's
  • hellacious Denver traffic btwn the airport and the foothills. ALL THE TIME. You can be driving in a rental car in 10 mins after landing at EGE. They'll often go out and drive the car up to the curb for you to load your bags. You can be sitting be a fireplace in Vail 30 minutes after you land at EGE vs. creeping up 70 HOPING it's not slow at Idaho Springs.
  • rental car prices can be HUGELY different. I've shopped early and found sometimes $100 to $200 PER DAY difference during peak holiday times. Yes that's PER DAY. You want a minivan at Christmas or New Years? Den wants $300 per day if you wait till October or November to reserve. I've gotten them at EGE for $60 at the airport planning in advance.
  • lot of people are trying to reach other parts of Colorado to ski, like Aspen. Flying into Den and driving to Aspen is a pain in the butt
OP: Thanks for your service but irrelevant to your frustrations. What you experienced seems like others have said just a typical day of flying. Be grateful you had 2 people fly into Vail on companion passes. $99 round trip from anywhere into Vail during ski season. You made out like a bandit. Vail is typically $100 or more each way than into Denver. Good use of your 2 companion certs.

My experience with Vail vs Den and other airports, and the check in staff. EGE is the only place I've ever been given a hard time about packing ski and board clothes around my gear. I've had snooty agents say "You're not supposed to have anything in there but equipment" when it's clearly serving as a suitcase for all my clothing for a ski trip. Denver and other non-ski locations the agents don't seem to care. Where I live the agents see golf clubs more than skis, so I never get questioned what's in it, unless I'm checking in at Vail to come home.

BTFU: Bottom Line For You...This is not worth complaining to anyone, even on here let alone AA management. Have fun and enjoy the kick ... amount of snow the West is having.

Last edited by LovePrunes; Jan 13, 2017 at 11:40 am
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Do you even fly AA?
Agree with the other poster, there is no AUS-DEN or DCA-DEN nonstop on AA
You're gonna connect somewhere, might as well fly into Vail if that's where you ultimately need to be.
I guess if you insist on flying one-stop with a specific airline rather than fly the non-stop. shrugh.

Do you even ski?
Yes, I have driven from DEN to ski.
[*] hellacious Denver traffic btwn the airport and the foothills. ALL THE TIME. You can be driving in a rental car in 10 mins after landing at EGE. They'll often go out and drive the car up to the curb for you to load your bags. You can be sitting be a fireplace in Vail 30 minutes after you land at EGE vs. creeping up 70 HOPING it's not slow at Idaho Springs.
Again, you assume that XXX-YYY-EGE time is same as XXX-DEN time , which is not happening. Given that I can see real time traffic on google maps and weather everywhere, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
[*]rental car prices can be HUGELY different. I've shopped early and found sometimes $100 to $200 PER DAY difference during peak holiday times. Yes that's PER DAY. You want a minivan at Christmas or New Years? Den wants $300 per day if you wait till October or November to reserve. I've gotten them at EGE for $60 at the airport planning in advance.
I have found the opposite for rental car prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.