Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeye Meals (non-premium domestic First)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

I am on a redeye from SFO to CLT next Sunday. When I look online, I cannot select anything for the meal like I normally can for first class. I can for the flight out to SFO but not on the return. Anyone know why?
Old May 26, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
There are no meals on any red-eyes on AA.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Not entirely true...there are meals on the red-eyes between LAX/SFO-JFK, but for the "non-premium" transcons...nope. You'll get warmed on-board cookies and warm nuts.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Not entirely true...there are meals on the red-eyes between LAX/SFO-JFK, but for the "non-premium" transcons...nope. You'll get warmed on-board cookies and warm nuts.
The 945PM LAX/MIA gets a dinner service albeit somewhat smaller. Interesting I flew AS PDX/DFW redeye last week and there was a full snack service.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was on a redeye, LAS-DFW, after (nearly) everyone was asleep, the FC FA took drink orders and passed out the pretzel and potato chip basket yum.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:53 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Airline Programs
Any - yes

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
There are no meals on any red-eyes on AA.
Every overnight flight to or from EZE I have taken in F, J or Y has always had a meal.

I assume most if not all medium to long haul AA international flights have meals on all flights, overnight or not.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by koje581
Every overnight flight to or from EZE I have taken in F, J or Y has always had a meal.

I assume most if not all medium to long haul AA international flights have meals on all flights, overnight or not.
The internationals do have meal service. The domestic red eyes do not.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by machong
I am on a redeye from SFO to CLT next Sunday. When I look online, I cannot select anything for the meal like I normally can for first class. I can for the flight out to SFO but not on the return. Anyone know why?
You will get the small plated snacks (cheese plate, hummus, etc) after takeoff and a would be 2-item continental breakfast consisting of yogurt and something else.

Why?

Because this flight is more than 2200 miles. Otherwise there would be no meal as others have stated. (LAX/SFO-MIA/JFK do get meals because they are premium routes)

And no, these items cannot be pre-ordered.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by sukn
You will get the small plated snacks (cheese plate, hummus, etc) after takeoff and a would be 2-item continental breakfast consisting of yogurt and something else.

Why?

Because this flight is more than 2200 miles. Otherwise there would be no meal as others have stated. (LAX/SFO-MIA/JFK do get meals because they are premium routes)

Woohoo! Fingers crossed for the SAN-MIA redeye tomorrow. I see that as 2267 miles.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Woohoo! Fingers crossed for the SAN-MIA redeye tomorrow. I see that as 2267 miles.
Do let us know if my numbers are off because LAX-CLT at under 2200 miles gets nothing but LAX-PHL gets what I mentioned.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Yes, the SAN-MIA redeye gets a plated snack and arrival breakfast box (or at least it did as of a few months ago).
Old May 26, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by sukn

Why?

I flew PDX-CLT on Tuesday night in F, we didn't get the cheese plate/hummus. It was just the yogurt/granola pack during approach. That flight is 2282 miles.

I can't find anywhere on the AA website that says that red-eyes get the cheese/hummus plate.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
For domestic red eyes, I find it best to eat before boarding. This way I can just snooze for a few hours rather than waste an hour to be served and then consume airline food. Even in domestic F, I've found the meal quality to be worse than it was a few years ago. I think next time I'll just skip it.

The pasta always has a strange taste to it. The beef always feels a little dried out.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
I flew PDX-CLT on Tuesday night in F, we didn't get the cheese plate/hummus. It was just the yogurt/granola pack during approach. That flight is 2282 miles.

I can't find anywhere on the AA website that says that red-eyes get the cheese/hummus plate.
Maybe you got an FA that decided no one wanted to eat that late. It happens with LUS FAs all the time on red-eyes. Also you got the breakfast pack, which means food was catered so the FA probably made an executive decision...
Old May 27, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Ive done some long transcon redeyes. Only thing I remember receiving was the yogurt and granola combo. I usually had a bit of the yogurt and pocketed the granola.

Better eats in the Club....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.