Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to get AA to establish a cell/speakerphone policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get AA to establish a cell/speakerphone policy?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by scottc42
Oh wow... I'm sitting right now in the Miami Admiral's Club. I've got one guy to my left face timing his whole family and another guy to my right watching some rock opera on his phone.
What are you waiting for? Jump in and say hi to the family!
Old May 18, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, 1,800,527 miles; Hilton Honors Diamond
Ha!👍👍

Originally Posted by rjw242
What are you waiting for? Jump in and say hi to the family!
Old May 18, 2016, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by brewdog11
I could see reason for a policy onboard, but I doubt anything could be done about this in the terminal and in the main areas of the AC. There is noise everywhere in airports and in the AC, from announcements to obnoxious drunks at the bar.

+1 to both. I always thought this approach was horribly underrated. If someone is going to have a super loud conversation, why not jump in and offer your own opinions?

Last week some guy was shouting "HOW ARE YOU?" into his phone in the middle of a quiet area of the AC. Because I couldn't tell if he was speaking to the other person or to all of us (), I answered with a resounding "FINE! AND YOURSELF?" The call got much quieter after that.
Why stop here? Continue with something like the following:

HOW'S THAT NEW TREATMENT FOR YOUR STD WORKING OUT? IS IT STILL DECIMATING YOUR SEX DRIVE?

BTW, I think this is also a problem in Japan. One sees warning signs at the entrance to good restaurants warning people to turn off the cell phones. You also see some surreptitious violators in quiet areas, talking to their lapels but so that you can still hear the cell phone conversation, such as special train cars (and the same in Europe IME).
Old May 18, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by scottc42
Oh wow... I'm sitting right now in the Miami Admiral's Club. I've got one guy to my left face timing his whole family and another guy to my right watching some rock opera on his phone. I thought it was overhead music at first, but he is playing it for all to hear!

This is too much.
Times have changed. Those of us that remember the days before cell phones, will recall the silence and quiet moments. Heck how about when you called your aunt or distant family member and yelled at the phone because you where calling "long distance."

Do you remember that first time you sat on a plane and saw a phone on the back of the headrest? How many of you actually picked it up, slide your credit card to call your loved just to tell them, "I'm calling you from the plane." Beepers came and cell phones became mainstream, everyone had one, heck some had 2 or more. Talking on the cell phone while walking, jogging, riding the bus, on the car became common day to day occurrence. Bluetooth technology allows you talk while driving and without the need to hold your phone. Now you see people on the streets in what looks to be talking to themselves, years ago you will think that one is crazy if you did that.

We now have video phones, allowing us to talk and see as well. Smartphones, just talk to it. Unfortunately, the silent and quiet times are a thing of the past. The need to be connected is too strong. As a side note, this is not an AA issue, as it happens everywhere.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by arollins
I've been known to phone bomb others conversation. Just pick up my phone and pretend to be answering the other persons conversation with my own fake conversation.
Nice!

Actually, I record about 90 seconds of their conversation with my smart phone, then play it back on full volume. I've done this 3 or 4 times in recent memory when the offender was particularly obnoxious.

One time, I received a huge round of applause on a domestic mainline short haul.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
These etiquette issues take care of themselves, to some extent. A while back, when smartphones "happened", there were loads of people using them to broadcast music on public transport. Eventually, these people have the experience of being on the receiving end, realise how annoying it is, and a new social norm develops against doing it.

I think there are two areas at the moment (like OP pointed out) where the etiquette hasn't formed yet, because the tech is new:
* Children with tablets (they only recently became cheap enough)
* Video conferencing on the move

My hunch is that in a few years we'll see this take care of itself. The people who are on the receiving end of kids with tablets will think differently when they have kids themselves, and be more considerate. Facetiming will become so common that people aren't so wrapped up in the novelty, and will start to be more discreet.

It's optimistic of me though... I would have hoped a social norm against bringing your mcdonalds onto the plane would have formed by now but I'm still waiting!
Old May 19, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
I've been known to phone bomb others conversation. Just pick up my phone and pretend to be answering the other persons conversation with my own fake conversation.
You and Larry David both
Old May 26, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: AA-EP, SPG-Plat, MR-Gold, Hertz 5*
^

You should try this: about six months ago was in the LGA club - guy is making multiple phone calls, very loud, leaving messages "call me back at 123-456..."

A perturbed fellow club member actually dials the number, the offender picks up to "I am going to need you to lower your voice." He got all red in the face and didn't make another call the whole visit.

A little public shaming seemed to do the trick.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

=)
Old May 26, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by derodnight
^

You should try this: about six months ago was in the LGA club - guy is making multiple phone calls, very loud, leaving messages "call me back at 123-456..."

A perturbed fellow club member actually dials the number, the offender picks up to "I am going to need you to lower your voice." He got all red in the face and didn't make another call the whole visit.

A little public shaming seemed to do the trick.
That's a good one, would add to my repertoire. I can see myself saying, Hi this is the LGA(airport code) AA club, please lower your voice, we hear you at the front.

Old May 26, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
That's a good one, would add to my repertoire. I can see myself saying, Hi this is the LGA(airport code) AA club, please lower your voice, we hear you at the front.

HA!
Old May 26, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I don't see this as an issue but I have seen FAs ask passengers mid flight to silence games they were playing. Typically kids when the parents are oblivious. I don't think there is a policy more so the FAs were annoyed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.