Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Help please: Getting documentation from AA for insurance claim

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador

Unfortunately my Dad's wife has been diagnosed with cancer, was unable to travel last month and is unlikely to be well enough to fly again anytime soon. I called to cancel their booking and the record locator is now showing as cancelled online but their insurance company wants written confirmation from AA that the tickets have been cancelled and whether any taxes are due to be refunded.

When I called AA I was told they cannot help with this. Do I need to HUACA? Is there a particular department I need to speak to? Any help would be much appreciated as the cost of the flights was in excess of £2k so it's a lot to lose if we can't get the correct documentation to satisfy the insurance company.

Thanks.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
My condolences.

What route?

Your tickets have not been canceled. I should think that a screen print that shows that the reservation has been canceled would suffice, no?

As to refundability of taxes, have you submitted a refund request to see what, if anything, AA will refund to you? Merely canceling a ticketed flight does not automatically constitute requesting a refund.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I once had a similar issue that I needed to get documentation from AA for insurance purposes. Very simply, I wrote in a polite e-mail via the webform explaining that I needed a letter from AA to be able to process my travel insurance claim. I clearly stated exactly what I needed from them. 24 hours later, I had an e-mail giving me all the information my insurance company needed. It was actually quite easy and painless. I'd suggest doing this rather than calling in.

When writing in, be concise and only put in the necessary information. AA doesn't need to know the details behind why you cancelled...it will just muddy the waters. State explicitly what you need in a polite way, and you should get the letter for your insurance without issue.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
To see the refund value of a ticket, and to request a refund, visit http://prefunds.aa.com. Print screen shots of all relevant pages for submission to the insurance carrier.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks all. Will try emailing to get the information required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.