Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Missing / Skipping Segment - Hidden City / Point Beyond Ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
I faced the same issue a month ago and ended up paying the $150 change fee to move the second leg of my flight to my preferred destination. It cost a little bit more than just booking the one-way, but worth it IMO.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by eurekaprice
A one-way flight MIA-NYC at 6-7 AM (Rio flight arrives 4.30 AM in MIA) turns to be the cheapest option and most convenient (you can be in LGA at 10 AM...)
The definition of a true optimist - 90 minute connection in MIA coming in economy on an international arrival.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:49 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jeremysmith
I faced the same issue a month ago and ended up paying the $150 change fee to move the second leg of my flight to my preferred destination. It cost a little bit more than just booking the one-way, but worth it IMO.
Agreed. If the cost of "doing the right thing" is pretty close to gaming the system, I'll opt for the former. I love gaming things, but sometimes the system games you back, and I'll only take that chance if the savings are worth it

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
In this case, it's likely AA will catch it with reservations so close so good chance it wont work out very well. If you were on separate carrier or even booked AA on another day you'd be fine. This case, not sure i'd chance it.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The OP runs the risk that AA will notice the duplicate booking (AA has software that looks for duplicates) and that AA will cancel the MIA-NYC segment if the MIA-NYC segment overlaps with the flight time of the already-booked MIA-MCO segment.
Why not fly the MIA-MCO segment and buy a cheap one-way MCO-NYC on AA or B6? More miles and no risk.
+1
IME, that software is very good at catch overlapping flights... when you use your AAdvantage number on both reservations.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
IME, that software is very good at catch overlapping flights... when you use your AAdvantage number on both reservations.
This is very true. I once had an award ticket on hold HNL to TYS and one HNL to CHA because I needed someone to pick me up and wasn't sure which airport works better. I woke up the next morning and found out the first reservation I made had been canceled. They will only keep the latest reservation made and cancel others. I was a bit annoyed because the one canceled is the one I ended up needing and that flight was no longer available. But I do understand why they need to do it despite it causing an occasional inconvenience for a customer. I ended up buying a ticket on UA instead. But in a matter of 8 hours one reservation was gone so I would definitely not risk it unless you credited the second flight to Alaska or BA.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
The other risk is AA is not obligated to fly you via MIA to get you to MCO. If the AA flight to MIA is canceled for whatever reason, you may be rebooked via DFW (I'm pretty sure AA has a DFW-GIG flight) and then onto MCO. I don't know what AA would do about getting you to NYC if you were re-routed through DFW instead of through MIA.

Just one other point to consider when planning this out. As part of your assessment, I'd consider how much it would cost you if "things went wrong" and you had to buy a one-way walk-up fare to get home, for example. If you booked a one-way from MCO to NYC on AA and you were late getting to MCO because of your AA flight from GIG or MIA, I believe you'd be protected (I would call AA to verify). That certainly won't be the case with a Delta flight out of MIA and I don't know if AA would protect you out of MIA on the same day, given they can figure out that you would not have had enough time to travel from MCO to MIA.

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Mar 4, 2013 at 2:41 pm
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Thanks a lot... it is obvious I will fly Miami-New York on someone else...
Why not book the cheapest possible MCO-NYC ticket and then see if you can stand by for a direct MIA-NYC flight?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I am ticketed in MCO-MIA-GIG-MIA-MCO (one of those very cheap fares) on Spring Break.

I plan not to use the last leg MIA-MCO and instead fly from MIA to the Northeast. Cheapest, most convenient and fastest option is buying a MIA-NYC (LGA/JFK) with AA.

I know it is not a big deal not to take the last leg (MIA-MCO; and I am not checking luggage); but I wonder if there would be an issue by getting an AA flight at the same time that there was the other one I was ticketed (remember, I would have flown the other one... it is just that I didn't take the last leg). So theorically I am flying two AA tickets at the same time.

I wonder if AA would raise an eyebrow (i.e. posting miles to AAdvantage).

Any ideas?

Thx!!
Even if you were checking luggage it doesn't matter as you will get it spat out at your US POE.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
I am ticketed in MCO-MIA-GIG-MIA-MCO (one of those very cheap fares) on Spring Break.

I plan not to use the last leg MIA-MCO and instead fly from MIA to the Northeast. Cheapest, most convenient and fastest option is buying a MIA-NYC (LGA/JFK) with AA.

I know it is not a big deal not to take the last leg (MIA-MCO; and I am not checking luggage); but I wonder if there would be an issue by getting an AA flight at the same time that there was the other one I was ticketed (remember, I would have flown the other one... it is just that I didn't take the last leg). So theorically I am flying two AA tickets at the same time.

I wonder if AA would raise an eyebrow (i.e. posting miles to AAdvantage).

Any ideas?

Thx!!
Like I said in the other thread: just be aware that AA is not obligated to route you via MIA. Should your original flight get canceled or delayed you may be reputed to MCO via DFW, in which case you might be stuck in MCO with no way to get to NYC.

Consider the most reasonable "worst case" scenario and go from there, like having to buy a one-way walk up fare in MCO or MIA if you get delayed or missconnect or run into any issues. Personally I would just go to MCO and get a one-way on AA for MCO-NYC. Seems like the best way to cover your bases if anything goes wrong.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: M&M, AAdvantage, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by jeremysmith
Umm that is very interesting. Is any fare changeable? Can I change a MIA-MCO for a MIA-NYC for $150 only??? Seems too good to be true.

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Like I said in the other thread: just be aware that AA is not obligated to route you via MIA. Should your original flight get canceled or delayed you may be reputed to MCO via DFW, in which case you might be stuck in MCO with no way to get to NYC.

Consider the most reasonable "worst case" scenario and go from there, like having to buy a one-way walk up fare in MCO or MIA if you get delayed or missconnect or run into any issues. Personally I would just go to MCO and get a one-way on AA for MCO-NYC. Seems like the best way to cover your bases if anything goes wrong.
Yep I absolutely know it!

But well worst-case scenario... I am Dallas... so worst case scenario, I just need to buy an expensive ticket back to the NE... it is not the same as missing my vacation or being stuck in Brazil
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
I have what I believe is a somewhat unique scenario.

My brother and I are coming back from SA to MIA at about 6 AM, flying onward to LGA at 8 AM. But really, his end destination is somewhere else - let's say ORD for now. I can get a saver award for him from MIA to ORD at 9 AM and save him a lot of time and save me some miles/money.

Both our tickets were booked by me, and his has his FF# entered. I put the conflicting saver award on hold with his name/birthdate but not his FF#. Any guesses on what will happen?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mathlete
I have what I believe is a somewhat unique scenario.

My brother and I are coming back from SA to MIA at about 6 AM, flying onward to LGA at 8 AM. But really, his end destination is somewhere else - let's say ORD for now. I can get a saver award for him from MIA to ORD at 9 AM and save him a lot of time and save me some miles/money.

Both our tickets were booked by me, and his has his FF# entered. I put the conflicting saver award on hold with his name/birthdate but not his FF#. Any guesses on what will happen?
I think this is one that could go either way. You might pull it off or the software might broom it.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
What happens if I deliberately miss flight

What I mean is, what if I have an AA ticket HNL-LAX-MIA-SJU and simply get off at MIA? I know some carriers mind and follow up and others turn a blind eye. What would AA normally do? I am BA Gold (OW Saphire).

Are AA also amenable to checking baggage for only the 2 out of 3 sectors?

Grateful for any insoght from seasoned AA travellers.

Taff
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Not much AA can do if you get off the plane in MIA and don't board the plane to SJU. You will of course lose any credit for that segment. Even if they did follow-up, you could say you missed your flight, were sick, etc.

However, I am not sure you can get your luggage tagged only to MIA. You might be able to at the counter or curbside, saying you need to collect your bags in MIA and re-check them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.