Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Recharging phones using "Type C" connector on AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, if this topic has been discussed - I cannot find anything in the threads related to it.

A few months ago I purchased a new cell phone. The phone requires the relatively new "Type C" connector. This connector is the connector of the future. It is more efficient than previous type connectors. Eventually, all new phones will have this type connector.

Now for the reason for this thread or query.

During the past few months on AA, the "Type C" connector usually will not recharge my new phone using the receptacle outlet either in the 77W or the 787. In those same receptacle outlets, I can recharge an older phone and plug in the old type connector and the connection is established. The older phone will recharge. Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that the current receptacle outlets on AA's 77W and 787 are not designed for the future "Type C" connectors, even though eventually, all new phones will have this type connector.

When this issue began to happen, I thought I was merely unlucky to repeatedly get a particular seat that had a bad receptacle outlet. After several flights of non functioning receptacle outlets, it became clear that it did not matter which seat I was on, the "Type C" connector would not charge my new phone the intended way.

If I hold the plug to the outlet with my hand, the phone will charge for a little while but eventually stops charging. Again, this is on any seat I am in on either the 77W or 787.

Initially, I reported the inoperative outlets to the flight attendants. However, that was useless because there was nothing they could do about the design of the receptacle outlets. Each flight attendant offered to report the problem, which has not been resolved.

I asked Apple and Andoid support if there is a remedy for this connection problem on AA aircraft. Android told me the problem is that AA uses receptacle outlets for the older type connector and "good luck, getting them to modify outlets for people who have the newer phones that require "Type C" connectors.

Like I said previously, all new phones will eventually use the "Type C" connector.

Does anyone here have a temporary or permanent solution for recharging the newer phones, in flight, that require the "Type C" connector?

Much obliged for a response.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
When you say receptacle outlet, are you talking about the USB port or the AC power? I don't see why you couldn't use the AC power outlet with a wall charger.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Depends on the type of phone and manufacture spec. One possible explanation i can think is output Amp on the AA usb outlets might be too low. Try the power outlet and check. My tablet has same issue.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:17 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Like I said previously, all new phones will eventually use the "Type C" connector.
What is your basis for this statement? How can you know this with certainty?

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 19, 2016 at 12:47 am Reason: Corrected quote
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fnuhenry
Depends on the type of phone and manufacture spec. One possible explanation i can think is output Amp on the AA usb outlets might be too low. Try the power outlet and check. My tablet has same issue.
This is almost certainly the case. Moreover, I doubt airlines will offer full-wattage USB-C charging capability through their USB outlets for a very long time (due to safety issues and FAA inertia). Just use the AC adapter.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I happen to agree with the OP about USB-C being the "connector of the future that all phones will use."

However, they're not nearly ubiquitous enough yet to justify a retrofit, especially considering using an AC power brick is a reasonable workaround. It's not even to the point where all modern phones are shipping with the connector.

I personally consider myself lucky when I find an AC outlet on a plane, considering it wasn't very long ago that they only had the cigarette lighter-style outlets in a few rows on certain planes. Historically, airlines haven't been the quickest to jump aboard on technology bandwagons, and I wouldn't expect to them to do so in this case.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by britishcanuck
When you say receptacle outlet, are you talking about the USB port or the AC power?
-
Both.

-
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
-
Both.

-
I have zero problems using USB-C with an AC power brick to rapid charge my Nexus 6P on AA metal. Maybe it's bad outlet luck or a bad cable?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Purchase a cable with a male USB Type C at one end and a male USB Type A at the other.
(An adapter ought to exist, although I haven't found one.) Or use the wall charger if there's an AC receptacle.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
What is your basis for this statement?

How can you know this with certainty?
one example:

http://www.cnet.com/news/usb-type-c-...nect-them-all/

Certainty - only death and taxes qualify for certainty.
-
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josmul123

I happen to agree with the OP about USB-C being the "connector of the future that all phones will use."

However, they're not nearly ubiquitous enough yet to justify a retrofit, especially considering using an AC power brick is a reasonable workaround. It's not even to the point where all modern phones are shipping with the connector.
"especially considering using an AC power brick is a reasonable workaround."

Great idea. Thanks for mentioning this.

However, on a long flight, such as yesterday from LHR to LAX - the power brick can run short.

Nonetheless, a power brick is better than the present situation of not being able to charge the phone using the aircraft's power outlet or USB port, or holding the connector by hand until enough charge is in the phone.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
one example:

http://www.cnet.com/news/usb-type-c-...nect-them-all/

Certainty - only death and taxes qualify for certainty.
-
So to put it more accurately, all new phones will use USB-C, unless they don't, and even if they do they'll only use it until the next new interface comes along to replace USB-C.

Considering the costs inherent in obtaining certifications and retrofitting aircraft, you can see why AA and others will wait until this is a bit more "baked in."
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:56 pm

I've had success USB charging on the A321t. If you're finding that the older devices work, have you tried one of those micro-usb to USB-C adapters?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tied

I've had success USB charging on the A321t. If you're finding that the older devices work, have you tried one of those micro-usb to USB-C adapters?

-
I have not had a problem recharging the phone while on AA's 320 or 321 -

Only when on AA's 77W and 787 does the issue occur.

I have tried changing adapters and cords twice. The problem with recharging the phone via the AC and USB outlets continues.

Originally Posted by rjw242
So to put it more accurately, all new phones will use USB-C, unless they don't, and even if they do they'll only use it until the next new interface comes along to replace USB-C.

Considering the costs inherent in obtaining certifications and retrofitting aircraft, you can see why AA and others will wait until this is a bit more "baked in."
-

Of course, AA is not going to change its on-board configurations for the newer "Type C" connector. I hope that my post did not imply that was expected.

The intent of my question was to learn if anyone had a solution for the inability to recharge the newer type phone using the "Type C" connector while on AA's 77W and 787.

I got the answer. Thanks -
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
I have a tablet that the power provided by the USB port on AA 77W isn't enough to keep it charged when being used. It will still discharge, and to be honest the rate of discharge isn't much improved when it's plugged into that port. I suspect, the amperage output in most public USB ports will remain with the "oldest" (900 mA I think) standard for quite some time.

I had a phone once that would only charge with the cord that was supplied with the phone, and "newer" cords...even though the connectors were correct on the older cords..there was something about the throughput that didn't agree. Basically, USB as a "standard" has a LOT of changes, and backward compatibility hasn't always been retained.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.