Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA's atrocious mobile app

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I guess none of you had the misfortune to use the US app. I was so happy to delete that off my phone once it stopped working (for some value of that word).
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by born sleepy
I guess none of you had the misfortune to use the US app. I was so happy to delete that off my phone once it stopped working (for some value of that word).
US app wasn't great, but it still had more functionality than the AA app -- you could book flights, for example. Both apps are/were comically slow, however.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by grapkoski
Depends.... but they may be installing OS security updates, releasing new functionality, swapping equipment

While I understand that they have to take things offline, I'm hoping as they rebuild the AA architecture it won't have to be as often.
Right, just like the DC Metro.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by josmul123
I rather like the app as of its last update. I noticed today that it was running a lot faster and had information about my baggage built in now.
Noticed the same. AA is slowly upgrading the app to be better and better. As has been mentioned here, it's still far behind UA in the available functionalities, but it works well for what it is built to do.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by econometrics
Noticed the same. AA is slowly upgrading the app to be better and better. As has been mentioned here, it's still far behind UA in the available functionalities, but it works well for what it is built to do.
Except, when you are in a fairly long TSA line and the BP won't scan at the TSA desk, and you have to go back and get paper ticket, LOL.

AA admitted this problem, have seen it twice by me and twice by others in TSA line in the last three weeks.

I am just printing paper BP's for now until they fix this.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
Except, when you are in a fairly long TSA line and the BP won't scan at the TSA desk, and you have to go back and get paper ticket, LOL.
That definitely does not sound fun.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
Yep, based on their IT postings - they are using Agile, which is a software development methodology where consistent small fixes are made in regular intervals. My old team used every two weeks, which seems to be on par with the regular application updates on Android.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:18 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by grapkoski
One quirk is when the BP shows up prior to boarding. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, sometime it does and then vanishes literally right before we board.
Me too! I now take a picture of my screen and board using the picture rather than the app.

Also, despite some of the naysayers, the brightness does impact the 'scan-ability' of the BP. I must manually turn my iPhone to full brightness for it to work- whether using the picture or the app.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
Except, when you are in a fairly long TSA line and the BP won't scan at the TSA desk, and you have to go back and get paper ticket...
I've seen TSA agents send people back to the desk but then request they come back to a certain area and flag them down - thus skipping the line. Seen that 10+ times - don't think I've ever seen them not mention it to the passenger.

That's about the only positive thing I can say about the TSA though...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Does the app (iOS version, FWIW) pull record locator data from a different database than the website?

I have had an itinerary status "On Request" for a while. I won't go into the details here as this is not the thread. I was told by an AAgent yesterday that it would clear "very soon". Today the website says the record is still On Request, but the app says it is "Ticketed". Before today I have never looked to see what the app said so I don't know whether or not the status of Ticketed is recent or has always been the case on the app. Either way, I find it disconcerting to say the least that the app and website give two different statuses at the same time.

Anyone else experience this? Thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by teevee
aa's app has always sucked. can't purchase tickets--it boots you to the mobile site which is worse than anything i've ever seen. back functions as an eraser!!

track baggage? ha!!!! again, boots you out of the app to the site which asks you for a record locator or ticket number. yeah, i have both of them memorized for all of my 100+ trips annually.

and slow? i have no other app that is as slow as aa's, even when on 100mbs wifi it crawls at less than turtle pace.

like many other things aa does, their app is the bare minimum.
Looks like there's a major gap between the app designers who can't code to save their lives and app developers who only know how to code and don't understand a thing about the customer experience.

In my previous work, it amazed me how developers I've seen actually take the attitude that simple software is too childish to be taken seriously...and that for the software to be any good, it had to be incredibly hard to use, so the user would feel proud they learned to use it........

The day I know the app will have grown up is when the app can do this:
In an IRROPS situation where my inbound flight is late, and thus, blowing my connection, while I'm still on the plane taxiing into the gate, the app is smart enough to see the cause of the delay, because the delay will already be coded into AA's system (how hard is that? It's just pulling a value from a database, it's 2016!). The app can see about rebooking me on AA's other flights (basically opening up lots of flexible options, even a flight that may be departing in a few minutes), and let me pick a routing, or put me on another carrier, and if another carrier, force-issue a boarding pass, or if a forced overnight occurs, the app can then pull up participating airport hotels with AA's IRROPS rates (the same ones an AAgent would see), and let me pick the hotel of my choice, and if the delay was something out of AA's control, the app can integrate Apple Pay to let me pay for the airport hotel I choose, or if it's AA's fault, then the app lets me pick the hotel of my choice. And the best thing? All my IRROPs plans will have been taken care of before I even get off the plane!

This way, sAAvy travelers who know what they're doing can just get what they want done and be on their way as soon as the aircraft door has opened, thus, freeing up AAgents to actually service the customers who need some more personal attention. This way, sAAvy travelers don't have to get stuck behind less sAAvy travelers at the service desks. When the app can do all this, including handling all sorts of non-rev travel, standby passes, gate passes, etc, that will be the day the App can be called "Sir"

My perfect experience on AA would be a trip where I interact with as few AAgents as possible, because I've flown AA enough to know where everything is and I don't want to waste my time standing in queues to do transactional tasks that could be done instantly with a mobile app. Every second an AAgent spends with me doing mundane transactional stuff is a second that AAgent could be helping someone who actually needs the face to face interaction.

During an IRROPS, the highest stress time is spent standing in a massive line at the customer service desk trying to get re-accommodated with people ahead asking endless questions, dragging out the process. When it's my turn, I don't care how nice the AAgent can treat me, by that point, my time has been needlessly wasted, and no amount of niceness from even the prettiest CX flight attendants will make up for the time I just wasted standing in line. If I had an app that let me take care of all my re-accommodations before my inbound flight's door even opens, that makes me feel so much better because I can spring off my flight knowing exactly where I need to be going, whether it's to another AA flight, another carrier's terminal, the airport hotel, etc. And the best part of all this? I'm one less disrupted pax AAgents have to process! And since the app let me do all that stuff proactively, guess what? My satisfaction goes up!!! I'm happy that I know I have a plan, and I don't have to worry about being stranded! Sure, maybe a bit inconvenienced, but at least I will know exactly where I will need to be going, all without having to interact with another human!

In full disclosure, in my profession, I'm involved with solving optimization problems everyday, and it's one of my biggest passions, so speed and efficiency really impress me and make me happy

Last edited by matrixwalker2012; Apr 24, 2016 at 10:20 pm
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Anyone else have the problem with getting the upgrade list to show on the Android app? iOS users don't seem to have this problem. I believe it is T-5 hours before flight for it to show correct?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Anyone else have the problem with getting the upgrade list to show on the Android app? iOS users don't seem to have this problem. I believe it is T-5 hours before flight for it to show correct?
I get it at T-4 on my Android app.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by pharmalady
I don't use the app that often except to check in, but I haven't had any problem.
Right now I am trying to check in on the Iphone for CDG-JFK but it doesn't seem to work. Filled all the details but the 'confirm' button remains inactive, no matter what I try. First I tried my own (EU) adress but that fails as the app requires a (US) state to be selected, then I tried my temporary US adress which also failed.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I had a delayed flight out of MIA the other day and missed my connection by 20 minutes. Before we had landed, the app showed I had been rebooked on a later flight (MCO-PHL instead of MCO-CLT / CLT-PHL) do must have updated during the flight.
Very handy not having to try and get rebooked on the ground (would have claimed original routing credit anyway so wasn't bothered about the flight I was now on. As a bonus, the MCO-PHL flight was oversold so volunteered to go on the next flight and got $500 for it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.