Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA100 27 march- diverted then returned to original, Help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

I was on a flight from jfk to lhr the flight could not land in lhr due to wind but after 2 attempts had to divert for fuel to manchester and then returned to lhr 4 hours late.

Can i claim anything for this ? if so how where and how can I get info to do this

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Member

If you had incurred expenses (meals, hotel), the EU duty of care might still require them to pay that (as they were required to do even during the Icelandic ash cloud incident), but a weather delay does not trigger the delay compensation.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No, you won't be able to claim anything under EC/261. First of all, the regulation applies only to European airlines, and those operating flights form Europe. Secondly, this is clearly exceptional (weather) circumstances. You got here, albeit a bit late. You can try AA, but I doubt very much that they will have a great deal of sympathy, given the circumstances. You could try your travel insurance, but I don't know of any that pay our inconvenience cash for a field diversion and subsequent late arrival.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Not that it changes things for the OP's situation but I believe EC 261 applies to all EU (including the UK & Switzerland) based airlines to/from/within the EU and non EU airlines departing from the EU.
If any expenses were incurred the OP should seek payment from the airlines for food/lodging.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, you won't be able to claim anything under EC/261. First of all, the regulation applies only to European airlines, and those operating flights form Europe. Secondly, this is clearly exceptional (weather) circumstances. You got here, albeit a bit late. You can try AA, but I doubt very much that they will have a great deal of sympathy, given the circumstances. You could try your travel insurance, but I don't know of any that pay our inconvenience cash for a field diversion and subsequent late arrival.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Not that it changes things for the OP's situation but I believe EC 261 applies to all EU (including the UK & Switzerland) based airlines to/from/within the EU and non EU airlines departing from the EU.
If any expenses were incurred the OP should seek payment from the airlines for food/lodging.
Correct. That is what I meant (and thought I wrote). I guess it would have been helpful (though not relevant in this case) to point out at that it doesn't apply to non-EU (+Switzerland+Norway) airlines flying into (rather than out-of, where it would apply) the EU (+Switzerland+Norway).
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks alot people, I thought this was the case but just thought better to check since the fuel was the main issue for the delay lasting so long. I will write to AA anyway about other issues so might as well drop a line or two about this.

Thanks again
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:53 am

am i the only one that finds this ridiculous? i mean they couldn't land because of high winds. it wasn't mechanical. it wasn't their fault. they put your safety above all else and then got you to your destination safely 4 hrs late. i would thank them for putting your safety first, or would you like them to try to force a landing in bad weather (fly dubai?). why does everyone always think they are entitled to something??
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by omaralt
am i the only one that finds this ridiculous? i mean they couldn't land because of high winds. it wasn't mechanical. it wasn't their fault. they put your safety above all else and then got you to your destination safely 4 hrs late. i would thank them for putting your safety first, or would you like them to try to force a landing in bad weather (fly dubai?). why does everyone always think they are entitled to something??
Agree 100%.

This reminds me of a time when I picked my mother-in-law up from the airport after she had landed off a trans-atlantic flight. She was late due to bad thunderstorms at her origin point. I asked her how her flight was. She said, "Fine, but we were 4 hours late". I asked her how her meal was. She said, "Fine, but we were 4 hours late". I asked her how the service was. She said, "Fine, but we were 4 hours late". Finally I had enough and said, "Listen here you old battle axe, you've just flown across the Atlantic Ocean, safely, with a nice meal and good entertainment and all you can focus on is that you were 4 hours late. Next time take the boat!"
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To say that this was "about fuel" is ridiculous. This was about high winds. Suffice it to say that the aircraft is loaded with sufficient fuel for its intended flight, to hold at its destination, to divert to MAN (or other locations), to hold at that location, and then and only then declare a fuel emergency. None of the latter ocurred here.

At the point when this flight diverted, it would have had plenty of fuel onboard, likely enough to hold and then land at LHR. But, "likely" is not a term that people in commercial aviation safety like to hear. Nor do 99.9% of the traveling public.

In this case, had this been a community (EU) carrier or been a departure from the EU, there would have been no compensation due as this is exactly the sort of situation in which a delay would not have resulted in delay compensation.

Me? I would very much not want air carriers facing a financial disincentive to diverting aircraft for safety reasons (beyond the financial disincentives they already suffer).

One does hope that OP includes this in a complaint to AA, as it will certainly flavor anything else he says.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:43 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Heathrow arrivals and departures on 28th March were very constrained, with plenty of cancellations, go-arounds and diversions forced by the weather and subsequent ATC restrictions. The delay at Manchester, aside from a need to let the winds subside to a safer level, would have been because there were no available slots at LHR before that point, so the aircraft would have been unable to leave MAN. That has nothing to do with fuel.

You might actually consider yourself lucky that they found a slot at all in that timescale - there must have been a very real possibility that you found yourself on a coach to London!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by DoctorDoug
Agree 100%.

This reminds me of a time when I picked my mother-in-law up from the airport after she had landed off a trans-atlantic flight. She was late due to bad thunderstorms at her origin point. I asked her how her flight was. She said, "Fine, but we were 4 hours late". I asked her how her meal was. She said, "Fine, but we were 4 hours late". I asked her how the service was. She said, "Fine, but we were 4 hours late". Finally I had enough and said, "Listen here you old battle axe, you've just flown across the Atlantic Ocean, safely, with a nice meal and good entertainment and all you can focus on is that you were 4 hours late. Next time take the boat!"
for real. i swear when some of my family fly from overseas and you hear them talk about it; it's like hearing a horror story... for some reason normal people become spoiled, entitled brats when they travel.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
editted

Last edited by fredc84; Mar 29, 2016 at 10:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.