Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

RUMOR: (incorrect) Elite Standby For a Later Flight No Longer Allowed (as of 3/21/16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUMOR: (incorrect) Elite Standby For a Later Flight No Longer Allowed (as of 3/21/16)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold

Was at the DFW Terminal A Admirals Club this weekend looking to standby for a later flight, which is advertised as an option for elite members on AA.com. When I asked to do this, I was told that as on 3/21/16, the policy was revised to not allow this anymore. The person at the club informing me of this new change was someone who was training someone and was familiar with policy. She even showed me some sort of a "memo" that was dated 3/21/16 and showed the new policy and allowances.

I showed her the website, and told me she could make an exception for me and give me a same day change instead, but seats weren't available, so no-go there.

For another data point, I called later to the Platinum Desk regarding the same for another flight, since I didn't fully believe what I was told at DFW, as the website language was contradicting this. The Platinum Desk recited the same thing I was told at DFW and cited a recent change on the 21st. I told her about the website, which she checked and saw what I saw. She told me that they must have forgotten to update it and told me she would make an exception and do it, but warned me that with the loads on Sunday it wasn't likely to clear. I opted for my same flight in this case.

Anyone else have any information on this possible policy change? Is this just a rumor or an actual change? In the case this is true, it does appear that the agents can still do standby for a later flight in the system, but they are not supposed to do so. Obviously this would be a negative change, but I understand why in a way, as it is easy to have elite members get stuck and then get upset when they don't get on the later flight, where standby for an earlier flight doesn't strand a passenger.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I haven't heard of any change like this but I'll check.

It would be a shame if this was the case because I planned to standby for a later flight for an upcoming trip next month, but I can see why AA would want to do away with it.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
This would suck. Majorly. I dont use it often, but sometimes things changed, and there's no stupid E availability.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what happens when you don't clear the later flight. Or the one after that? You're just stranded?

Seems reasonable for AA to proactively clean up what could be a mess, I suppose.

Maybe elites could get access to expanded "E" inventory for SDFC? (Though frankly I don't know why they don't just require the original booking inventory, like I think DL and UA do in coach).
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Pretty sucky if they do this. And if they do, it should be announced and they should still honor it for tickets bought before the change.

I've definitely purchased tickets knowing I'm likely to have to change but figured since the benefit is there, I may as well purchase now. Be nice to know for sure what the situation is.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
So what happens when you don't clear the later flight. Or the one after that? You're just stranded?
You just get treated like anybody else who missed a flight, you get rolled to the next flight until you make one. I can see why they might not want this happening, but it is at your own risk, and I've never had any trouble with it...

I guess I could imagine a situation where people are using this to extend their trip, for example if you're flying a route that maybe has 2 daily flights at similar times. Maybe you "standby" for the later one (which might only be 15 minutes later), knowing that it is sold out, and end up with an extra day in (insert vacation city). But you do have to actually go to the airport to get put on the standby, so you'd be putting in a fair bit of effort.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
I was surprised to find this out too. I initially thought it was misinformation, but when the club showed me the "memo", heard it from a trainer, as well as the platinum line, something tells me that something is going on.

This wouldn't be the first unannounced change to something either.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Seems reasonable for AA to proactively clean up what could be a mess, I suppose.

Maybe elites could get access to expanded "E" inventory for SDFC? (Though frankly I don't know why they don't just require the original booking inventory, like I think DL and UA do in coach).
I imagine that they get some DYKWIA behavior when some elite members stand by for a later flight and then get stranded overnight, so it makes sense why AA would want to get away from this. Although a nice benefit, it is quite risky. Maybe this will transition to all elites getting a free SDFC if "E" inventory is above a certain threshold of seats available vs. total seats on the aircraft.

I think the E inventory is more beneficial to people that book "O" class, as that tends to go away long before the flight actually takes place. It would be nice to have expanded availability, but I would only expect this kind of benefit for EXP members.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I assume this doesn't prevent you from standing by for an earlier flight.

I, also, assume you are still allowed to confirm an earlier or later flight (within 24 hours of your original flight) if available for confirmation.

I guess allowing you to standby for a later flight puts you in a state of limbo.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cova
I assume this doesn't prevent you from standing by for an earlier flight.

I, also, assume you are still allowed to confirm an earlier or later flight (within 24 hours of your original flight) if available for confirmation.

I guess allowing you to standby for a later flight puts you in a state of limbo.

Correct. Per the agents and the "memo", you can still standby for an earlier flight for free as an elite member. You can do SDFC for $75 (free for EXP) for an earlier or later flight.

Standby for a later flight puts you in limbo if you don't make the flights. It is basically a gamble.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage
My guess is confusion between Same-Day Standby and the standby policy (two different types of standby; later flights not allowed with the former) since I wasn't able to find out anything regarding a policy change. Phone agents are usually unable to offer standby for a later flight since that's only done at the airport.

What did the memo look like?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
My guess is confusion between Same-Day Standby and the standby policy (two different types of standby; later flights not allowed with the former) since I wasn't able to find out anything regarding a policy change. Phone agents are usually unable to offer standby for a later flight since that's only done at the airport.
That's my guess as well.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

It was one sheet with 2 columns. One column was the policies and procedures for the SDFC and the other was for SDS. It outlined scenarios and what was allowed in different rows (like a spreadsheet). Each scenario stated what the policy and procedure was for non-elite and elite member separately.

This is just what I saw from the counter when the agent was explaining it to me while also training the new person next to her and showing her the differences and how to read the new "cheat sheet" as she called it.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's my guess as well.
I had definitely asked to stand by for a later flight. I was told straight up that it used to be allowed but it was not as per a policy change on 3/21/16. I asked if they were getting me confused with the non-elite policy, since elites could standby for a later flight, and that is when I learned of this. Basically, it was stated that no one will be allowed to stand by for a later flight. The only way to get on a later flight would be SDFC. They were surprised that the website hadn't updated to reflect it.

Another interesting thing stated in the Admirals Club was that they have been seeing some odd things lately, as the LUS agents "do whatever they want".

Again, just stating my experience from this weekend from what I was told based on what I knew I was able to do being a Platinum member. Figured this would be something to share and discuss considering the effects it could have if definitely the case, since nothing official has come out regarding this. Hopefully we can get some official clarification on exactly what the case will be.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA SLV, DL SLV, MR PLT
Asked the fine Twitter folks and they are not aware of any recent policy change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.