Wiki Posts
Search

AA Mileage Run/Calculation Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Well I guess it's a "crappy industry trick" that works both ways. For example if you are on a ticket that limits the number of segments (such as a Oneworld Explorer ticket - limit of 16 segments) then having a single segment LGA-(xDFW)-HKG is a good thing for the pax - only one segment not two.
Good to know. I wasn't aware of that.

I have yet to redeem for anything more than domestic tix on AA to this point.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Sheep
Ok, so get this. I called up the Platinum desk and they said that even though it is showing as direct and 16,114miles LGA->HKG, because of the equipment change in DFW I should earn miles based on the distance inclusive of the connection, so 19,000 miles. I confirmed that this was the case despite the same flight number. (Only wish I had it in writing).
I've been an active member of this forum for 16 years and an AA flyer much longer. The agent was incorrect. AA has been fairly unbending at granting separate flight miles credit, though I've seen it stated people have had it granted - perhaps a couple of times in a number of years. As well:

AAdvantage flight mileage credit is determined on the basis of nonstop distances between the airports where your flight originates and terminates. On connecting flights with different flight numbers, you'll receive mileage credit for each segment of your trip; on single-plane, through, or change of gauge flights, you'll receive the nonstop origin-destination mileage credit and credit for a single elite qualifying segment. On American Airlines and other AAdvantage airline participants, you'll receive AAdvantage mileage credit only for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed. American Airlines is the final authority on the methodology used to calculate mileage and the amount of flight credit for a particular flight or routing. American Airlines is the final authority on qualification for mileage credit and reserves the right to deny or revoke mileage credit at any time if American Airlines determines that mileage credit was improperly given.

AAdvantage Terms and Conditions: Earning AAdvantage Miles - Link
Get a delay, stand by for an earlier or later flight, etc. and you can earn what you thought you will.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 28, 2016 at 12:11 pm
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yes if for example if you fly MIA/DFW/LAX you will get the EQMs for MIA/DFW and then the EQMs for DFW/LAX. However, if its all one flight number (with a stop) in that case the EQMs would be calculated as one single flight. Others can chime in about getting routings not showing on aa.com (IIRC illogical routings will cost extra $$). It would help if you tell us your originating airport and budget and time constraints.
Hi newyorkgeorge et al, thanks so much for your feedback and this information. I have continued to research various options but tix still seem to be very pricey, since [as others have noted] it seems that inefficient routings through hubs like DFW aren't as prevalent as they used to be.

To answer your question RE: specifics, an ideal itinerary would be something like NYC (any airport) to MIA via DFW Friday morning 4/1 to Sunday morning 4/3. An F or J fare would be ideal, but of course also likely expensive. A discount business or first (A, P, D, I, R) would also do the trick. Trying to figure out the cheapest option to accomplish this goal...your advice would be both welcome and appreciated.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by TrAAveler8
Hi newyorkgeorge et al, thanks so much for your feedback and this information. I have continued to research various options but tix still seem to be very pricey, since [as others have noted] it seems that inefficient routings through hubs like DFW aren't as prevalent as they used to be.

To answer your question RE: specifics, an ideal itinerary would be something like NYC (any airport) to MIA via DFW Friday morning 4/1 to Sunday morning 4/3. An F or J fare would be ideal, but of course also likely expensive. A discount business or first (A, P, D, I, R) would also do the trick. Trying to figure out the cheapest option to accomplish this goal...your advice would be both welcome and appreciated.
Why "only" go to DFW? Why not JFK-LAX-MIA? if you luck out, you'll get A32T on the way to LAX and B77W to MIA.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Search LGA-STL and same day STL-MIA. Been willing to pay the extra $100 (P fare) and layover in DFW to avoid the 8F 319 (only F that hurts my knees). Good luck.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite

cheapest I could find using ITA matrix is via ORD and CLT, for around $1k. This adds around 80% to your mileage, from about 1k miles each way to 1983 miles. (If you insist on routing through DFW it jumps to $2k.)

For example:

New York (LGA) to Miami (MIA) — Fri, Apr 1

New York (LGA) to Chicago (ORD) — Fri, Apr 1
American Airlines Inc. 303
Dep: 5:59 am - Arr: 7:47 am
Boeing 737
First (A) [Breakfast]

Layover in ORD: 2h 43m

Chicago (ORD) to Charlotte (CLT) — Fri, Apr 1
American Airlines Inc. 695
Dep: 10:30 am - Arr: 1:24 pm
Airbus A321
First (A)

Layover in CLT: 0h 56m

Charlotte (CLT) to Miami (MIA) — Fri, Apr 1
American Airlines Inc. 2059
Dep: 2:20 pm
Arr: 4:19 pm
Airbus A321
First (A)

Miami (MIA) to New York (LGA) — Sun, Apr 3

Miami (MIA) to Charlotte (CLT) — Sun, Apr 3
American Airlines Inc. 148
Dep: 6:20 am
Arr: 8:28 am
Boeing 737
First (A)

Layover in CLT: 2h 57m

Charlotte (CLT) to Chicago (ORD) — Sun, Apr 3
American Airlines Inc. 1862
Dep: 11:25 am
Arr: 12:38 pm
2h 13m
Airbus A321
First (A)

Layover in ORD: 1h 15m

Chicago (ORD) to New York (LGA) — Sun, Apr 3
American Airlines Inc. 368
Dep: 1:53 pm
Arr: 4:59 pm
Boeing 737
First (A)
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
This is simply incorrect. Yet another agent making something up when they don't know the answer
Indeed. As I've said many times, the collective knowledge here is greater than that of any individual AA employee.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
You could fly to MIA on 4/1 via SJO and return to NYC on 4/3 via SJU for $882 in Business/First. You'll spend pretty much the entire day flying on both ends and will need a passport.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...sc=b;a=AA;eo=e

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.