Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transport between EWR and JFK and AA connecting flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport between EWR and JFK and AA connecting flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Looking to save money by folding in a family visit during business travel

I live in phx. I travel to south (New) Jersey every 6 weeks for work. I visit my mother in England every Christmas but want to head there over the Memorial Day holiday week (use the Monday freebie day off).

Work wise I normally fly phx-ewr non stop. I usually spend two days in south (New) Jersey for work then head back. I did some pricing to lhr from ewr traveling 5/27 to 6/3 +/- a few days and I'm looking at $1200 ewr to lhr on BA. That's a $1K cheaper than leaving from Phx. I can have work pay for my phx-ewr and then ewr-phx return so it seems like a good deal. I'm just concerned that flying BA in coach the seat pitch is crap. Would it be worth it to take a bus to and from jfk instead to fly AA metal?

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 23, 2016 at 9:29 am Reason: Restore original thread title
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Instead of a bus, have you investigated taking the train, renting a car, or using a car service? If you get to EWR, an easy way on public transportation (that takes a bit more time) if you have luggage would be to take one of the airporter buses to Grand Central Station and then transfer (actually at the NY Public Library stop) to the airporter bus to JFK. You can reserve a seat and buy tickets at a discount on line.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Instead of a bus, have you investigated taking the train, renting a car, or using a car service? If you get to EWR, an easy way on public transportation (that takes a bit more time) if you have luggage would be to take one of the airporter buses to Grand Central Station and then transfer (actually at the NY Public Library stop) to the airporter bus to JFK. You can reserve a seat and buy tickets at a discount on line.
I haven't. I guess my main point is connecting from two different airports on two different PNR's. I'll need plenty of time to get to and fro jfk and ewr.

Considering it's a relatively short flight over the pond maybe it's worth it to fly out of Newark. Is there an Admirals Club at Newark? If I fly BA do I get full AA credit on a cheap fare? I assume getting an exit row is out of the question lol
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
I haven't. I guess my main point is connecting from two different airports on two different PNR's. I'll need plenty of time to get to and fro jfk and ewr.

Considering it's a relatively short flight over the pond maybe it's worth it to fly out of Newark. Is there an Admirals Club at Newark? If I fly BA do I get full AA credit on a cheap fare? I assume getting an exit row is out of the question lol
I have no idea......I'm just thinking that if you're doing ground transportation from New Jersey to JFK, there are more pleasant ways to do it than by bus.

How about doing your TATL flight from PHL? It's an AA hub and is easily accessible by train, for example. You should have a choice of either AA or BA metal across the pond.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Looking to save money by folding in a family visit during business travel

If your work location is in South Jersey then PHL is actually a more convenient airport for work travel as well.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments
If your work location is in South Jersey then PHL is actually a more convenient airport for work travel as well.
I don't do bridges.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Quote: Originally Posted by Segments

I don't do bridges.
How do you plan to get to JFK from South Jersey without doing bridges?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:16 pm

How do you plan to get to JFK from South Jersey without doing bridges?
Exactly. In fact, how can the OP have a life in the PHX area without doing some bridges over expressways, etc. even if there aren't bridges over major rivers?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I don't do bridges.
Scared of trolls?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I don't do bridges.
Do you do trains that go over bridges? How about tunnels?

In any event, if you are going to fly into EWR and then somehow get to JFK from South Jersey for the TATL flight, I suggest pricing PHX-EWR//JFK-PHX on one ticket; and a JFK-LHR-JFK AA roundtrip on the second. This way, you would only have to get from NJ to NY on the outbound, and could connect at JFK on the return.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:33 pm

You can get to PHL using trains that go over bridges.

For New Jersey to JFK, you can take some tunnels to avoid bridges, but you might still need to do at least one bridge. Maybe taking a ferry or two would help. At one point, there was helicopter service, but it's long gone.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
I don't do bridges.
Is it that you yourself don't drive over bridges, or that you don't want to go over them period? Getting from EWR to JFK without crossing a bridge will be tricky and might be practically impossible unless you drive yourself.

As for flights, anything on Oneworld out of EWR involves a lot of extra flying or is much more expensive for your dates. If you have status on American, try to get yourself to JFK and book yourself into MCE. But if you are okay with flying United, I'd fly out of EWR. Tickets are about $180 cheaper. If you don't have status, you'll pay about $180 each way for Economy Plus on UA vs. $120 each way for MCE on AA, but you'll still come out cheaper on UA, given current prices.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

All Amtrak and NJ Transit rail service from Newark to Manhattan goes over the old Portal Bridge to cross the Hackensack River, before reaching the Hudson River rail tunnels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_Bridge
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I live in phx. I travel to south Jersey every 6 weeks for work. I visit my mother in England every Christmas but want to head there over the Memorial Day holiday week (use the Monday freebie day off).
Just to help you out as you communicate with people on both sides of the Atlantic, especially since your mother lives in England, south Jersey would be understood by some people (especially over here) to be the areas of Jersey around St Helier, Beaumont and St Aubin... as Jersey is a island Crown Dependency in the English Channel. When I first read your post, I was going to suggest inexpensive flights to JER.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Ian, a few questions:

Do you have any status with AA?

Where in Southern New Jersey do you work (fixed it for ya Microwave ).

How are you traveling from EWR to Southern NJ without crossing bridges? (e.g. the Raritan River).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.