Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA reducing some checked baggage allowance tickets pchs on / after 29 Mar 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Link to revised baggage allowance on aa.com (effective tickets purchased 29 March or after), as well as full checked baggage policy and information (including size, weight, overweight charges, etc.)

Checked baggage policy

Baggage allowance changes

Travelers with tickets purchased on or after March 29, 2016 will be subject to fees for 3rd bags in Business and select (two class) First Class flights.
  • Executive Platinum - three checked bags First or Business service - but see following (traveling companions must be on same PNR as EP to benefit from three checked bags).

Extra baggage allowance
As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs). (This benefit is not available on British Airways 'Hand Baggage Only' fares on select short-haul routes.) (link)
  • Two checked bags for free in two-cabin aircraft for non-EP, including domestic First and international Business Class

• Two checked bags allowance for Platinum

• Three class First checked bag allowance remains the same (3 bags)

How many bags can you take?

Check up to 10 bags if your trip is:
  • Domestic
  • Transatlantic
  • Transpacific
Check up to 5 bags if you’re traveling to / through / from:
  • Mexico / Caribbean / Central America*See footnote
  • South America*See footnote
*There are seasonal and year-round baggage restrictions
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Microwave
I believe you have found the holy grail of these two devaluations. Buy a lotto ticket!
I'm indeed feeling lucky! But I have specific flights I need to be on for this trip, and what if the availability disappears on March 22? Hope my luck holds out.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ehallison
I'm indeed feeling lucky! But I have specific flights I need to be on for this trip, and what if the availability disappears on March 22? Hope my luck holds out.
This is well off topic so I do apologise... but I wonder if you could hold the award now, then ask for it to be repriced when you call to complete the booking on the 22nd?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by arollins
My thoughts exactly, some posters have mentioned that they strictly book for the 3rd baggage benefit, I can not imagine that is cheaper than coach fare and paying for the extra baggage. I might be wrong, but I have travelled to SA and Caribbean extensively and witness how much luggage people bring. SJU flights are what I call in Spanish, "tomateros" when they use boxes as luggage.
I posted that I paid for the upgrade solely for the 3rd bag on my flights home to Colombia. In some cases, the upgrade is cheaper, particularly if I can do a sticker upgrade XXX-MIA. Two stickers cost $80 vs. the $150 cost for the third bag.

Even in cases where I decided to pay up to first or use a mileage upgrade the cost has been around $350 for the return flight. In my mind, I treated it as paying $200 for my comfort and $150 for the bag and extra weight allowance for each bag. I'm sometimes willing to pay $200 for six hours of personal indulgence, but $350 is higher than I'm ever willing to go. Frankly, I was really paying $350 for personal indulgence, because most of the stuff in that third bag has been stupid things that I could really live without (e.g. a case of Diet Mountain Dew). So, though I will now fly in domestic F less than before (sticker upgrades only, and never MIA-MDE), I should thank AA for doing me the favor of saving me money on both the airfare and the stupid stuff that was in the third bag.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I posted that I paid for the upgrade solely for the 3rd bag on my flights home to Colombia. In some cases, the upgrade is cheaper, particularly if I can do a sticker upgrade XXX-MIA. Two stickers cost $80 vs. the $150 cost for the third bag.

Even in cases where I decided to pay up to first or use a mileage upgrade the cost has been around $350 for the return flight. In my mind, I treated it as paying $200 for my comfort and $150 for the bag and extra weight allowance for each bag. I'm sometimes willing to pay $200 for six hours of personal indulgence, but $350 is higher than I'm ever willing to go. Frankly, I was really paying $350 for personal indulgence, because most of the stuff in that third bag has been stupid things that I could really live without (e.g. a case of Diet Mountain Dew). So, though I will now fly in domestic F less than before (sticker upgrades only, and never MIA-MDE), I should thank AA for doing me the favor of saving me money on both the airfare and the stupid stuff that was in the third bag.
Well, based on how in this thread you've referred to things in the third bag as "stupid stuff", "stupid things" or "stuff I really didn't need", I'd say this strongly supports the consensus that free third bags are really unnecessary, 'cause they're usually filled with, well, stupid stuff
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Doesn't DL only offer 2 free bags for F/J? I believe even on international Delta One itineraries, only 2 free bags are allowed.

With that said, kind of sad but not exactly surprising. AA was the only one that offered 3 free bags on F/J. UA and DL both only offer 2, but UA does 3 for GF flights.
According to the baggage chart on Delta.com, it now shows 3 free bags for all elites traveling in a Premium Cabin-- including Silver Medallions [equivalent to AA Gold] in either DeltaOne, Business or First regardless of destination--- domestic or international:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...going#skymiles

This is a recent change, as the last time I looked at this chart in 2015, DL only gave 3 free bags to Gold Medallions [or higher elite status] for those flying domestically in DeltaOne/Business/First.

Last edited by Max M; Mar 17, 2016 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by ACA321
Well, based on how in this thread you've referred to things in the third bag as "stupid stuff", "stupid things" or "stuff I really didn't need", I'd say this strongly supports the consensus that free third bags are really unnecessary, 'cause they're usually filled with, well, stupid stuff
Well, that's true for me. However, that's because I travel back and forth often, so I don't need to bring down a lot of essentials on a single trip. If I only made a few trips to the US each year, this would be a bigger problem. And, back in the days when I was moving my life from the USA to Colombia, it was very important. I'm fortunate that this is not a big deal for me, but there are people who really have a legitimate reason to have third and even fourth bags.

In any case, rational or not, this was one of the things that allowed me to pull the trigger on switching from COPA/United to AA two years ago. This takes away one of the biggest reasons for my loyalty to AA. As I said, as long as they continue to be the price leader, I will stay; however, going forward I won't be jumping through hoops to book an AA flight on those occasions when the competition has a better offer.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:51 pm

Reduced baggage allowance from 29th March

Further to BA announcing a reduction in Business class luggage allowance, on the UK AA website, they have also introduced this enhancement to their service....

https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i...false&from=Nav
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Executive Platinum apparently retains oneworld "+1" bag allowance, so 3+1 on oneworld flights

Quote:
Extra baggage allowance
As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs). (This benefit is not available on British Airways 'Hand Baggage Only' fares on select short-haul routes.) (link)
Can anyone clarify: does this mean EXP flying on AA metal gets four bags at all times? I was thinking the fourth only applied if traveling in first class, but the quote above seems to suggest I can always have four. (And to preemptively respond to the unfortunately inevitable "who cares because you should never check bags" comments, I'm a musician and travel with clothes, merch, and plenty of gear...I don't have the luxury of traveling light).

Last edited by thecurtisw; Apr 2, 2016 at 9:44 pm Reason: Quote fix
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by thecurtisw
Can anyone clarify: does this mean EXP flying on AA metal gets four bags at all times? I was thinking the fourth only applied if traveling in first class, but the quote above seems to suggest I can always have four. (And to preemptively respond to the unfortunately inevitable "who cares because you should never check bags" comments, I'm a musician and travel with clothes, merch, and plenty of gear...I don't have the luxury of traveling light).
You are correct. EXP only got the 4th bag when in F or business. If in coach, then 3 bags. I haven't seen anything official, and haven't looked since I'm not EXP anymore, but I would imagine that going forward EXP will get three bags for the flights where the standard allowance will now be two.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I just got off the phone with the EXP desk, and it is confirmed that my purchase of business (intl) and first (domestic) will no longer gain me my cherished 4th bag. The desire to carry a cooler on my next trip is what prompted the call, and I couldn't determine from reading on aa.com whether or not coolers had been seasonally or permanently excluded.

Like coolcoil, I switched to AA from UA for that 4th bag. It is also more convenient, as one extra connection is eliminated, but I would switch back if UA started offering 4 bags for 1K. That isn't going to happen, though.

I'm curious, however, about three trips I have booked which were all purchased in late February/early March. Assuming has become increasingly dangerous with regard to airline policies, but it would seem that I should be allowed 4 bags for those trips. Not sure I trust the EXP line for that, as I usually seem to be more familiar with the rules than the agents. Perhaps I'll write, requiring them to confirm it in writing.

I have been flying Copa whenever possible, but that 4th bag sometimes made the scale tip in AA's favor. Not anymore. I still have to get around once I reach the US, of course, so I'll continue to fly AA, too. There is also the limited destinations to which Copa flies that will be considered. I go all over the US, but they don't.

My 4th bag was always a cooler or a new Mac. I can justify paying $200 to bring back a US spec Mac, but not extra food. This is going to require moving into resourcefulness mode. As I type, I'm thinking what life would be like without my American breakfast sausage. That alone is going to move me to figure out a solution, and I already have some ideas.

Edit: A second call confirmed that I can carry 4 bags on the three trips purchased before the new rules were implemented. I'm going to print the clear-as-mud baggage rules in case I get an agent who tries to deny the 4th bag or charge me for it, but I am definitely going to load up for "free" while I can.

Last edited by KenInEscazu; Apr 3, 2016 at 11:20 pm Reason: Additional info regarding post.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
  • Executive Platinum - three checked bags regardless of class of service - but see following (traveling companions must be on same PNR as EP to benefit from three checked bags)

• Executive Platinum apparently retains oneworld "+1" bag allowance, so 3+1 on oneworld flights
I just asked Twitter support for clarification: the response was that EP gets one bag in addition to the ticketed allowance of 2 bags, so 2+1. That contrasts your previous statement, which I'm pretty bummed about. Do you have the 3+1 confirmed by anyone with potentially higher info than Twitter support? Really hoping Twitter is wrong on this one!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thecurtisw
I just asked Twitter support for clarification: the response was that EP gets one bag in addition to the ticketed allowance of 2 bags, so 2+1. That contrasts your previous statement, which I'm pretty bummed about. Do you have the 3+1 confirmed by anyone with potentially higher info than Twitter support? Really hoping Twitter is wrong on this one!
I'm a little confused on this issue, I'll ask, what's the exact reference for the "3 +1", I haven't followed the discussion.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm a little confused on this issue, I'll ask, what's the exact reference for the "3 +1", I haven't followed the discussion.
I asked AA Twitter to clarify if EXP will always get 4 bags now (3 for EXP, plus 1 as the OWE benefit) since it wouldn't be a condition of being in a premium cabin because of the reduction. The response was the 4th bag is gone. Instead, we get 3: 2 as our ticketed allowance and 1 for OWE benefit. That's inconsistent with previous statements that nothing changes for EXP in the baggage allowance reduction.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Wouldn't "3+1" only exist for the EP flying three class First now?

2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for:
  • Confirmed First Class customers on 3-cabin aircraft*
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum
  • oneworld Emerald
  • Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
  • Active U.S. military and/or dependents with ID traveling on orders (1st - 5th bags free of charge)
  • Active U.S. military with ID on personal travel
*tickets purchased after 29 Mar 2016
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by JDiver
Wouldn't "3+1" only exist for the EP flying three class First now?

2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for:
  • Confirmed First Class customers on 3-cabin aircraft*
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum
  • oneworld Emerald
  • Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
  • Active U.S. military and/or dependents with ID traveling on orders (1st - 5th bags free of charge)
  • Active U.S. military with ID on personal travel
*tickets purchased after 29 Mar 2016
I'm not sure I see/understand the additional "+1" over and above the 3 bags that anyone meeting any of the above criteria get

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.