Wiki Posts
Search

Nasty gate agent

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Nasty gate agent

Yep I've just become one of those terrible passengers people shake their heads at. As I was boarding first class at lga today, the gate agent said in a very loud obnoxious tone" you will want to remove this old tag from your bag" I didn't understand what she said and kept boarding when she repeated herself again and ripped the tag off ... I should have just smiled but she was so nasty that I just looked at her and said " why didn't you just say I had to rather than I wanted to?" Well all of a sudden my bag didn't fit the sizer, 2 of them start telling me how I have to check the bag and I realized this could escalate quickly and I just let them take the bag. I should never have spoken back to her and my bag does in fact fit in the sizer but I couldn't risk an argument. The lesson is no matter how nasty someone speaks to you, just smile and take it. It's not the end of the world but I have had issues with baggage claim in Charlotte before and quite honestly, if I know I was checking a bag I would have packed some liquids I left behind. Thank god it's my last flight for a while... I prefer to drive when I can to avoid such shenanigans.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
From the sound of it, they'd already decided your bag needed to be checked. That's almost certainly why they asked you to remove the tag. Your question didn't have anything to do with them checking your bag.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjw242
From the sound of it, they'd already decided your bag needed to be checked. That's almost certainly why they asked you to remove the tag. Your question didn't have anything to do with them checking your bag.
No I was literally at the door of the aircraft when the woman ran up all of a sudden and said your bag doesn't fit- after I smarted off to the lady- all I could think of was " uh oh I don't need to get booted off this flight but it was so obviously done in spite because I told several steps before she had this revelation.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

And she didn't ask, she just made a comment ( in a very nasty tone) then reached out and ripped the tag off. Ugh.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I've encountered some horrid GA's in CLT
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I would have looked, and removed the tag, most of us knows the bag needs to be checked, and try to sneak it on the plane...including me...

It was her job, been there..

Remove it and say Thank you, bet you cold have forgone the gate check...
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Agreed. I should have smiled sweetly. But sometimes the nastiness gets to you. I suppose they have a tough job and maybe it gave her a charge to get a little tiny " revenge". It just bothers me when people abuse their " power". I'll be little Mary sunshine from now on😍
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Nasty gate agent

Your bag either fits the sizer or does not fit the sizer. Which is it?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Correct. Do not argue with airline staff; do not do anything other than smile and move to the next person if you don't get what you want from one.

Then again, I couldn't believe that I politely went back-and-forth with a FA who wanted me to gate-check the same bag that I have traveled with on hundreds of trips on regional jets, and I won!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Diminished expectations

You were flying out of LGA-were you expecting a chorus of angels and rose petals on the jetway ... or ... the shoddy, passive-aggresive, hostile, that new yorkers seem to be so proud of?

I go to NYC once a month on business. Because of the OP's experience, and so many more, I fly into in/out of JFK or EWR. On occaision, I have flown into PHL, and taken the train.

LGA ... creates a vaccuum

Some here may differ, and YMMV.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Mar 13, 2016 at 4:52 pm
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
We're not all terrible
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
We're not all terrible
Never said you were. Perhaps I should have said that LGA seems to bring out the "best" in people.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure I understand the sequence here.

1. OP had a carry-on which fit the sizer.
2. OP had an encounter with a GA which was less than pleasant.
3. OP's carry on now did not fit the sizer.

If that's the case, somebody is due a Nobel in physics and I would led the rest of the issue slide.

Perhaps what really happened is that OP had a non-compliant carry-on and although the GA could have handled things better, the bag was going to be gate-checked so the old tag had to go.

Bear in mind that AA has cracked down on non-compliant carryons of late, especially in the first few boarding groups.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

Bear in mind that AA has cracked down on non-compliant carryons of late, especially in the first few boarding groups.
Once again the rocket surgeons in Operations or Marketing or Revenue Management or Senior Management devise a program (scheme for my English cousins) that is designed to aggravate/infuriate/(insert feeling here) people who are in F, EXP, CK. Great thinking!

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 15, 2016 at 2:50 am Reason: Removed colour
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
LaGuardia has plenty of helpful people. The ex-US Airways Club (now the Terminal C Admirals Club) is WONDERFUL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.