Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA.com wont let me buy a refundable ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott

Trying to buy a refundable ticket (it is on $20 more and there is a possibility plans will change).

When I select refundable ticket everything is fine until the second screen with passenger info, where a popup tells me based on passenger info ticket is now cheaper and it gives me the non-refundable price and when I check fare rules it is a non-refundable.

I have tried both logged in with my AA# and on a clean browser with nothing, same thing.

It is me? Is there something I must do to keep the refundable ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Strange. Will a different site (Orbitz or whatever) price it correctly and sell it as refundable?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Phone in and explain that you can't buy the ticket you want on AA.com and they should wave the ticketing fee...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Phone in and explain that you can't buy the ticket you want on AA.com and they should wave the ticketing fee...
OP is lifetime Platinum, so should have the fee waived in any event. Definitely odd though!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
call in, they will solve it for you and not charge a fee.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
There's still the possibility that it's some sort of AA.com glitch displaying a fare that isn't there. I can't explain *why* that would be the case, as I'd expect that if you found a super-low discount-Y fare, not when you're trying to buy refundable.

But anyway...validate that you can see the fare in Orbitz or Concur or whatever before you spend a bunch of time on the phone with AA.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This came up in a recent thread, clearly there is an IT problem (yuuuuge surprise!).

You could try calling Web Services first, but they may need to pass you on to Reservations. The problem with booking over the phone is that you don't get to physically see (and save/print/PDF) the full fare rules. Maybe you should record the conversation with the agent just in case!

Also - does the same thing happen when you choose "Search by Schedule" for "Economy without Restrictions"?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I ran into this last week. Was buying a refundable business, and when I got to that screen, it dropped the price and replaced the last segment with a nonrefundable (the first 3 were still refundable, but since the most restrictive rules take precedence ...).

I called into the PLAT line and they weren't helpful. They kept quoting me higher prices - actually about $800-900 higher or lower, nonrefundable pricing.

One AAgent tried to direct me to web support, but the particular person I got wasn't helpful.

Twitter didn't help either. Just call reservations or web support.

OTA's didn't work.

I finally got it booked - with the help of a TA who understood what was going on and could ticket it. You may want to try that route if AA can't get it straightened out for you.

I feel for you - it's really annoying and frustrating.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:01 am
Suspended

Indeed-- sounds familiar!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...y-what-do.html
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Microwave
OP is lifetime Platinum, so should have the fee waived in any event. Definitely odd though!
Waived ticketing service fee is an EXP-only benefit. Platinum isn't good enough.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Is your real name Alec Baldwin by chance?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 2:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If it can't be booked online, the telephone service fee should be waived.

An alternative is for the AA person to put the PNR on hold, and then purchase it online (unless it won't "stick", in which case it'd have been better to remind the agent no fee is due if it can't be booked online).
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Problem is, in some of these instances (like the one linked above: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...y-what-do.html) AA res agents weren't able to get the problem solved either. Certainly worth a try, obviously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.