Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE 2012-14: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE 2012-14: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, all changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by jpripcord
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

[/b]"If I want to book AA F inventory from LAS > LAX > JFK (Stop), then JFK > ORD > NRT"[/b]

That would not be a valid itinerary for a single, one-way award. You only get a free stopover at NYC if NYC is your North American gateway. If you're flying to ORD to connect to a flight to NRT, then CHI is your gateway, not NYC.
Alright, simplifying it from LAS > LAX > JFK (stop); JFK > HND

Can I change the date of JFK > HND after my trip has started (between the Stop in NYC in March after Las Vegas) and the departure for Tokyo (In June)?
Yes.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I think UA has the best change policy. A simple and straightforward policy actually. All changes including routing and carrier are free as long as origin and destination remain same.
UA only waives the fee for the !K and GS. Then it is on a scale from the 2nd tier down to the general member who pays the most.

AA's free changes are offered to EVERYONE.

I think AA has the same 21 day rule.
AA's 21 days fee only applies at the initial booking. After that it is free.
For example if you booked your award now for travel in March. Then on Feb 15 you need to travel on Feb 16 and are able to find seat, the change is free because Feb 16 has gone pass the 21 days from Jan 21.

UA charges no matter when the ticket is booked, and will charge in the above scenario.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Happy
UA only waives the fee for the !K and GS. Then it is on a scale from the 2nd tier down to the general member who pays the most.

AA's free changes are offered to EVERYONE.
It's free for all as long as you do it 21 days out; within 21 days and fees you list above are charged.

AA's 21 days fee only applies at the initial booking. After that it is free.
For example if you booked your award now for travel in March. Then on Feb 15 you need to travel on Feb 16 and are able to find seat, the change is free because Feb 16 has gone pass the 21 days from Jan 21.

UA charges no matter when the ticket is booked, and will charge in the above scenario.
Good to know, I thought AA had a more strict 21 day policy.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's free for all as long as you do it 21 days out; within 21 days and fees you list above are charged.
Good to know, I thought AA had a more strict 21 day policy.
UA charges routing / carrier changes and upfare changes for general members and their lower tier elites based on their fee tables regardless when the changes happen. Unless they do not enforce such. '

UA's 21 days charge is much more restrictive than AA's - basically whenever your travel date falls into the 21 days window from ticket issue/reissue, regardless when the ticket is originally issued while AA only charges on the initial window.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA charges routing / carrier changes and upfare changes for general members and their lower tier elites based on their fee tables regardless when the changes happen. Unless they do not enforce such. '

UA's 21 days charge is much more restrictive than AA's - basically whenever your travel date falls into the 21 days window from ticket issue/reissue, regardless when the ticket is originally issued while AA only charges on the initial window.
No it's free for all as long as you do it more than 21 days in advance:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Not much help for those wanting LH F since they don't even start releasing F for partners until 14-10 days prior to departure.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
Not much help for those wanting LH F since they don't even start releasing F for partners until 14-10 days prior to departure.
Then pay the fee. $75 is not too much for F when people readily fork over much more to BA for their F.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else

UA doesn't allow free carrier changes, while AA does.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Not sure why this thread had devolved into yet another UA versus AA discussion....
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is free on the routing when O/D remain the same and the change outside 21 days.

It is not free for changing carriers or upfare.

So I was wrong 1 out of 3 while you were wrong 2 out of 3.

I maintain the fact that AA has the most lenient policy regarding changes on award after ticketing.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is free on the routing when O/D remain the same and the change outside 21 days.

I maintain the fact that AA has the most lenient policy regarding changes on award after ticketing.
I'm glad I had this discussion. I thought UA had a simple policy but apparently not. At least I can understand the policy although it is an annoying one. If and when I understand AA's policy maybe I can make a comparision.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:55 pm

I'm glad I had this discussion. I thought UA had a simple policy but apparently not. At least I can understand the policy although it is an annoying one. If and when I understand AA's policy maybe I can make a comparision.
It's hard to keep on top of this stuff because the rules change so often. If I recall correctly, United originally had a fee for non-elites booking an award
< 21 days in advance, then they dropped the fee for a while (I am thinking around 3 - 3.5 years ago), then they re-instated the fee (I am thinking around 1.5 - 2 years ago).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dogcanyon
It's hard to keep on top of this stuff because the rules change so often. If I recall correctly, United originally had a fee for non-elites booking an award
< 21 days in advance, then they dropped the fee for a while (I am thinking around 3 - 3.5 years ago), then they re-instated the fee (I am thinking around 1.5 - 2 years ago).
True. I was under the impression that current UA policy was from the old CO one.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:16 pm

Where do we actually have confirmation that changing carriers triggers a fee? I called the AA desk and asked this question and had them double check with a supervisor, and was assured that as long as the origin and destination remained the same, there would be no fee for changing from an all AA award to a partner airline
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:50 pm
Suspended

I think the confirmation is earlier in this thread (or in threads similar to it). But YMMV is extremely relevant concerning this subject.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.