Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free alternative to expert flyer? How I got my award tickets in 3 days without it.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free alternative to expert flyer? How I got my award tickets in 3 days without it.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Expert Flyer has repeatedly said that it obtains its AA data via paid searches of Sabre and other GDS; others have repeatedly said that EF is lying and is merely scraping. I tend to believe EF.
I don't remember the details, but at the time, I think EF said something about DL objecting to EF using GDS data this way.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wesbob
Thanks for that! Look like you still have to signup (free)
And, apparently, you need a QF (Qantas) account to search OW awards, so presumably that's the site he's getting the data from, not AA. While I don't really have a need for such an account otherwise, I guess I'll give it a try.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which is always possible.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
And, apparently, you need a QF (Qantas) account to search OW awards, so presumably that's the site he's getting the data from, not AA. While I don't really have a need for such an account otherwise, I guess I'll give it a try.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which is always possible.
No, you aren't misunderstanding anything. That's how it works.

The system has a personality of its own (in other words, it is a bit buggy, you might get e-mails from them showing availability for a completely different route, date, or class.) But most of the time, it works.

And $3/month (entirely optional) gives you more searches, specific flight numbers, multiple searches a day, and EY searches.

[Except for paying $3/month, I have no connection to them.]
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Reviewing the screenshots manually to find space means more potential to miss things. That's the main flaw I see in the OP's approach. Other than that, nothing particularly new about the concept or even the approach.

As for enforcing the legality of T&Cs on the websites, I don't know anyone willing to fight such when confronted. I know I wasn't when UA sent me a C&D letter.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sbm12
As for enforcing the legality of T&Cs on the websites, I don't know anyone willing to fight such when confronted. I know I wasn't when UA sent me a C&D letter.
I guess you're no Aktarer Zaman, then
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I use www.awardnexus.com (which gives some free searches to FlyerTalk members; click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button), which searches both BA and QF to do one oneworld searches, and to some destinations from LAX BA and QF bring up different (non-duplicated) results! QF tends to show Pacific routings that BA doesn't, while BA tends to show Atlantic routings that QF doesn't.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 22, 2016 at 10:51 am
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Expert Flyer has repeatedly said that it obtains its AA data via paid searches of Sabre and other GDS; others have repeatedly said that EF is lying and is merely scraping. I tend to believe EF.
EF pays for GDS use, whereas some others scrape. The result is the others may have to change processes frequently as the airlines figure their schemes out and block them. This latter makes for inconsistent experience and data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.