FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA J or CX J on 77W? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1743611-aa-j-cx-j-77w.html)

hiima Feb 4, 2016 2:06 am

Originally Posted by ismann (Post 26130389)
I wish my reheated leftovers at home were like CX F catering, and plated as nicely too. (Though maybe not, since then I'd end up eating enough caviar and lobster to give me gout.)

I think you'd die of debt before getting gout.

nyc6035 Feb 4, 2016 3:22 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959 (Post 26129918)
It's hard to isolate the product from the route.

If I needed to fly LAX-HKG and there were an AA 77W and a CX 77W flight, I'd take AA for the wifi and air nozzle. Airplane food is nothing more than reheated leftovers (even in First Class).

In this instance, a YVR-HKG or a YVR-DFW-HKG, the choice is clear: save 8-9 hours and just go YVR-HKG.

+1

Only thing I would add as it relates to the reheated leftovers - if you prefer western dishes advantage AA, if you desire Asian cuisine the scale tips to CX.

fallinasleep Feb 4, 2016 4:06 am

How does AA's IFE (screen size and movie selection) compare to CX's (which I think is great)?

I flew AA's new J when it first appeared on the 777 a few years ago but it was only LHR-JFK so don't remember much except for the delightful ice cream sundae.

Thanks

flyingeph12 Feb 4, 2016 5:37 am

Originally Posted by fallinasleep (Post 26131234)
How does AA's IFE (screen size and movie selection) compare to CX's (which I think is great)?

I flew AA's new J when it first appeared on the 777 a few years ago but it was only LHR-JFK so don't remember much except for the delightful ice cream sundae.

Thanks

AA's selection is very good, particularly interms of older/classic films, and there are no 90 second commercials (or whatever) before each and every movie/show. CX, of course, has more Asian selections.

Screen is identical, as the hard product on the 77W is basically the same across the two.

transparent Feb 4, 2016 9:01 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 26123948)

I'm sure there's more discussion in the CX forum, but my recollection is that they've gone back and forth on this, sometimes varying by route, and apparently based on feedback.
The majority here seem to think the second full meal shortly before arrival makes the most logical sense, so I'm not sure who's providing the contrary feedback...

I wrote in about this actually when I was woken up by the mid-flight meal. I was told that their Asia-based customers prefer the meals to be served according to the destination schedule to help them acclimate, or something like that.

ijgordon Feb 4, 2016 11:28 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 26129583)
I still say CX wins that if put up as a poll by a wide margin.

Perhaps, but it would never pass a peer review, because of what is likely an inherent bias in a general (or even general frequent flier) population.
If you isolated the question to those who had flown both airlines/aircraft on similar routes within a specific time period, then I wouldn't be quite so certain of the margin that may (or may not!) go to CX.

JonNYC Feb 4, 2016 11:31 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 26133018)
Perhaps, but it would never pass a peer review...

Oh my god.

cmd320 Feb 4, 2016 11:45 am

Originally Posted by transparent (Post 26132260)
I wrote in about this actually when I was woken up by the mid-flight meal. I was told that their Asia-based customers prefer the meals to be served according to the destination schedule to help them acclimate, or something like that.

That's not specific to Asian customers. I much prefer to have meals based around the destination schedule as well. Wish they did it domestically.

At any rate, I'm taking my chances on CX over AA in J on the 77W anytime. CX J may not be quite what it once was, but you're far more likely to have a good crew on CX than AA. Also, backtracking from YVR to DFW to get WiFi? You've got to be kidding me...

ijgordon Feb 4, 2016 11:52 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 26133041)
Oh my god.

Don't take things so literally.

flyingeph12 Feb 4, 2016 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 26133110)
Also, backtracking from YVR to DFW to get WiFi? You've got to be kidding me...

Wifi could mean the difference between being able to get work done in-flight and having to do it after landing. I can probably think of some circumstances where flying 18 hours and being productive for 75% of those hours would be preferable to flying 12 and being productive for none of those hours.

hiima Feb 4, 2016 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 26133332)
Wifi could mean the difference between being able to get work done in-flight and having to do it after landing. I can probably think of some circumstances where flying 18 hours and being productive for 75% of those hours would be preferable to flying 12 and being productive for none of those hours.

But the question is, is the Wi-Fi even usable?

flyingeph12 Feb 4, 2016 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 26134794)
But the question is, is the Wi-Fi even usable?

In my experience it is. It cuts out occasionally and often isn't available at the beginning and end of flights, but in general I'd say it's about 75% usable. Better than 0%, and like I said, at least for me, it can be the difference between working or going to bed on arrival.

hiima Feb 4, 2016 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 26134857)
In my experience it is. It cuts out occasionally and often isn't available at the beginning and end of flights, but in general I'd say it's about 75% usable. Better than 0%, and like I said, at least for me, it can be the difference between working or going to bed on arrival.

What would you say is the average Mbps? 1 up .1 down? I guess I should try out AA J Wi-Fi soon. But if I schedule my flights well, I can sleep on the plane and work on arrival.

flyingeph12 Feb 4, 2016 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 26134974)
What would you say is the average Mbps? 1 up .1 down? I guess I should try out AA J Wi-Fi soon. But if I schedule my flights well, I can sleep on the plane and work on arrival.

Tbh, I've never run a speed test so I am not sure. It's not blazing fast--opening and saving excel files from my local machine takes a minute (sometimes more than one), but connecting to a terminal server and working from there works well for me usually.

Ideally, I wouldn't have to work on flights, but that's usually not the case. Especially on a 16hr flight, at least some of that is going to overlap with working hours, unless flying on the weekend.

andrewwm Feb 4, 2016 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by nyc6035 (Post 26131146)
+1

Only thing I would add as it relates to the reheated leftovers - if you prefer western dishes advantage AA, if you desire Asian cuisine the scale tips to CX.

Meh, I don't think I'd pay more than $20 USD for CX first food on the ground. It's at best banquet-quality food with some caviar thrown in (to be fair though, I don't think I'd ever pay for AA C food, maybe a few bucks for AA F food on the ground).

For people that obsess about the food in premium cabins, I have to wonder how often they actually go to real restaurants?