AA J or CX J on 77W?

Old Feb 2, 16, 12:54 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 263
AA J or CX J on 77W?

Currently have CX J booked YVR-HKG but AA J is available on their 77W DFW-HKG. Is it worth switching to AA? Thanks.
loopflyer is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 1:01 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EC Elite, UA Silver
Posts: 429
Originally Posted by loopflyer View Post
Currently have CX J booked YVR-HKG but AA J is available on their 77W DFW-HKG. Is it worth switching to AA? Thanks.
This really comes down to 2 factors

1) Which is more convenient for you, connection wise.
2) Whether or not you want WiFi on the flight.

Beyond that, the seat is nearly identical
roder is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 1:04 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: QLA
Programs: SBUX Gold
Posts: 14,507
I wouldn't backtrack from YVR to get to DFW.
IceTrojan is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 1:19 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
I wouldn't backtrack from YVR to get to DFW.
The backtrack would add 8-9 hours of travel and that's the reason I was asking if it was worth it. Probably not. However, if AA F opened up then I'd do it for the extra 12K miles. Thanks for the reply.
loopflyer is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 1:36 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
Posts: 191
If its not sold out there is a good chance that CX F will open up closer to your departure
lax555 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 1:42 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, Paris
Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Posts: 1,593
Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
I wouldn't backtrack from YVR to get to DFW.

Oh, I would. Especially given that the CX product in J has declined dramatically and that the AA product on the 77W is finally almost (*) on par with many Asian airlines.

(*) 5 things are still missing, though:

- Decent food for the main meals (but the galley munchies are good)
- Wines above canteen plonks (I would not hire that Ken Chase...)
- The FAs' attitude and availability
- The FAs' attitude and availability
- The FAs' attitude and availability

Have I forgotten something ? Oh yes:

- The FA's attitude and availability
Cofyknsult is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 2:27 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,199
Lol, I've actually had pretty decent experiences with #1, #3, #4, #5 and #6 on AA recently. But I certainly recognize there can be a lack of consistency.

I can't think of any reason to backtrack to choose AA J over CX J, and even AA F over CX J. I would add a bunch of hours for CX F though. I just love that seat and the service.

ETA: Ok, I guess I can get the WiFi rationale, though frankly I'd expect to be sleeping or eating most of the YVR-HKG flights...

Last edited by ijgordon; Feb 2, 16 at 2:33 pm
ijgordon is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 2:31 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,216
Is Wi-Fi important? Then maybe worth choosing AA.

And may I say how stunning it is to see CX posters say "may as well fly AA - lower price, WiFi, and equal food" with the CX degradation in service. Things must be really bad over there.
no1cub17 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 2:39 pm
  #9  
dll
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt
Posts: 2,241
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
Is Wi-Fi important? Then maybe worth choosing AA.

And may I say how stunning it is to see CX posters say "may as well fly AA - lower price, WiFi, and equal food" with the CX degradation in service. Things must be really bad over there.
CX food is not equal to AA, it's inferior. The biggest issue I have is they serve the second full meal halfway across the Pacific (only a few hours after the departure meal), waking everyone up in the process. No pre arrival meal.

AA, in an ironic turn of events, proves superior in this regard.
dll is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 2:56 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Posts: 1,059
...and I would give AA a leg up on climate control...their J seats offer passenger controlled air vents - CX do not.
nyc6035 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 3:56 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: QLA
Programs: SBUX Gold
Posts: 14,507
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult View Post
Oh, I would. Especially given that the CX product in J has declined dramatically and that the AA product on the 77W is finally almost (*) on par with many Asian airlines.

(*) 5 things are still missing, though:

- Decent food for the main meals (but the galley munchies are good)
- Wines above canteen plonks (I would not hire that Ken Chase...)
- The FAs' attitude and availability
- The FAs' attitude and availability
- The FAs' attitude and availability

Have I forgotten something ? Oh yes:

- The FA's attitude and availability
Yes, the food has suffered greatly in CX J. But it's still at least as equal to AA's offering, IMO. And I had a fantastic crew on my AA LAX-SYD flight.

So with food and seat a wash (in my book), what it comes down to is:

AA advantages: Paid wifi, air vents
CX advantages: Save 8-9 hours in travel time, more consistent service

Sorry, I just don't see how flying YVR-DFW-HKG is better in this situation.
IceTrojan is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 4:29 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,184
I wouldn't even fly LAX-DFW-HKG, takes too much extra time. I'll take LAX-HKG, even with their notorious on time percentage.
hiima is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 4:43 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,216
Originally Posted by dll View Post
CX food is not equal to AA, it's inferior. The biggest issue I have is they serve the second full meal halfway across the Pacific (only a few hours after the departure meal), waking everyone up in the process. No pre arrival meal.

AA, in an ironic turn of events, proves superior in this regard.
I couldn't believe it when I read that on the CX forum. They've always done it that way in Y and PEY from what little I know, but damn. What the hell is going on at CX!

ETA: Forgot to mention air vents. A HUUUGE plus for AA. Even when the AA cabin is too warm, open your vent and voila! Really frustrating that Asian airlines rarely have individual air vents.

Last edited by no1cub17; Feb 2, 16 at 5:59 pm
no1cub17 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 4:49 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Posts: 801
Hope you don't get the dreaded mid-flight meal on CX.
AZbba is offline  
Old Feb 2, 16, 5:15 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG/MR Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 1,152
Go with the better schedule, the seat is the same, the food is probably better on AA (CX J food is really unimpressive), better IFE selection on AA by the bit and wifi. Bigger upside on CX is dark cabins because they use solid curtains and keep them closed.
WheelsFirst is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: