FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA J or CX J on 77W? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1743611-aa-j-cx-j-77w.html)

loopflyer Feb 2, 16 12:54 pm

AA J or CX J on 77W?

Currently have CX J booked YVR-HKG but AA J is available on their 77W DFW-HKG. Is it worth switching to AA? Thanks.

roder Feb 2, 16 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by loopflyer (Post 26121835)
Currently have CX J booked YVR-HKG but AA J is available on their 77W DFW-HKG. Is it worth switching to AA? Thanks.

This really comes down to 2 factors

1) Which is more convenient for you, connection wise.
2) Whether or not you want WiFi on the flight.

Beyond that, the seat is nearly identical

IceTrojan Feb 2, 16 1:04 pm

I wouldn't backtrack from YVR to get to DFW.

loopflyer Feb 2, 16 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 26121888)

The backtrack would add 8-9 hours of travel and that's the reason I was asking if it was worth it. Probably not. However, if AA F opened up then I'd do it for the extra 12K miles. Thanks for the reply.

lax555 Feb 2, 16 1:36 pm

If its not sold out there is a good chance that CX F will open up closer to your departure

Cofyknsult Feb 2, 16 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 26121888)

Oh, I would. Especially given that the CX product in J has declined dramatically and that the AA product on the 77W is finally almost (*) on par with many Asian airlines.

(*) 5 things are still missing, though:

- Decent food for the main meals (but the galley munchies are good)
- Wines above canteen plonks (I would not hire that Ken Chase...)
- The FAs' attitude and availability

Have I forgotten something ? Oh yes:

- The FA's attitude and availability

ijgordon Feb 2, 16 2:27 pm

Lol, I've actually had pretty decent experiences with #1, #3, #4, #5 and #6 on AA recently. But I certainly recognize there can be a lack of consistency.

I can't think of any reason to backtrack to choose AA J over CX J, and even AA F over CX J. I would add a bunch of hours for CX F though. I just love that seat and the service.

ETA: Ok, I guess I can get the WiFi rationale, though frankly I'd expect to be sleeping or eating most of the YVR-HKG flights...

no1cub17 Feb 2, 16 2:31 pm

Is Wi-Fi important? Then maybe worth choosing AA.

And may I say how stunning it is to see CX posters say "may as well fly AA - lower price, WiFi, and equal food" with the CX degradation in service. Things must be really bad over there.

dll Feb 2, 16 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 26122337)
Is Wi-Fi important? Then maybe worth choosing AA.

And may I say how stunning it is to see CX posters say "may as well fly AA - lower price, WiFi, and equal food" with the CX degradation in service. Things must be really bad over there.

CX food is not equal to AA, it's inferior. The biggest issue I have is they serve the second full meal halfway across the Pacific (only a few hours after the departure meal), waking everyone up in the process. No pre arrival meal.

AA, in an ironic turn of events, proves superior in this regard.

nyc6035 Feb 2, 16 2:56 pm

...and I would give AA a leg up on climate control...their J seats offer passenger controlled air vents - CX do not.

IceTrojan Feb 2, 16 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult (Post 26122101)
Oh, I would. Especially given that the CX product in J has declined dramatically and that the AA product on the 77W is finally almost (*) on par with many Asian airlines.

(*) 5 things are still missing, though:

- Decent food for the main meals (but the galley munchies are good)
- Wines above canteen plonks (I would not hire that Ken Chase...)

Have I forgotten something ? Oh yes:

- The FA's attitude and availability

Yes, the food has suffered greatly in CX J. But it's still at least as equal to AA's offering, IMO. And I had a fantastic crew on my AA LAX-SYD flight.

So with food and seat a wash (in my book), what it comes down to is:

AA advantages: Paid wifi, air vents
CX advantages: Save 8-9 hours in travel time, more consistent service

Sorry, I just don't see how flying YVR-DFW-HKG is better in this situation.

hiima Feb 2, 16 4:29 pm

I wouldn't even fly LAX-DFW-HKG, takes too much extra time. I'll take LAX-HKG, even with their notorious on time percentage.

no1cub17 Feb 2, 16 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by dll (Post 26122387)
CX food is not equal to AA, it's inferior. The biggest issue I have is they serve the second full meal halfway across the Pacific (only a few hours after the departure meal), waking everyone up in the process. No pre arrival meal.

AA, in an ironic turn of events, proves superior in this regard.

I couldn't believe it when I read that on the CX forum. They've always done it that way in Y and PEY from what little I know, but damn. What the hell is going on at CX!

ETA: Forgot to mention air vents. A HUUUGE plus for AA. Even when the AA cabin is too warm, open your vent and voila! Really frustrating that Asian airlines rarely have individual air vents.

AZbba Feb 2, 16 4:49 pm

Hope you don't get the dreaded mid-flight meal on CX.

WheelsFirst Feb 2, 16 5:15 pm

Go with the better schedule, the seat is the same, the food is probably better on AA (CX J food is really unimpressive), better IFE selection on AA by the bit and wifi. Bigger upside on CX is dark cabins because they use solid curtains and keep them closed.