Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Award changes after 21 March 2016 - which incur redeposit, which not

Award prices in miles are changing effective 22 Mar 2016. Many members have been asking which changes can be made on pre-existing awards on or after 22 Mar 2016 without requiring miles redeposit and issuance of new awards at the new prices - and we finally have some answers as given by the AA spokesperson through a timely article by Gary Leff and a char set c/o Smiley90 from here

Mile changes in absolute numbers (k)

Mile changes in percentage

First award change chart as of 22 Mar c/o Gary Leff

NOTE: 22 March 2026, several agents are saying what Gary Leff's quoted Ms. Nedbal stated, or parts of it, are not being honored.

According to Gary Leff (View from the Wing, Boarding Area, 31 Jan 2016), Laura Nedbal, spokesperson for AA, said:

Gary: "I sought further clarification and learned:
  • You can change date and time without repricing the award, while keeping airlines and routing constant.

• You can change routing without repricing the award, while keeping the airlines constant, with a few caveats. Basically you cannot break the fare. You cannot add a stopover. Youre going to have to stick with a legal routing for the primary carrier on the itinerary.

• You can not change Origin or Destination, even within the same region, without causing reissue at the current award rates.

• You cannot change award types, which means you cant go from American only to flying partners. You cant go from extra mileage award to saver award without a redeposit of miles and re-issue."
Q. Can I change Origin or Destination within the same region, as permitted normally?

This will require re-issue at the new rates.

Q. What if I change routing, but use the same origin, destination and airlines?

No problem, even changing connection cities and number of segments. Laura Nedbal: "Origin/dest stays same and since all carriers are oneworld there would be no charge to change carriers. Provided again, the same inventory/award as ticketed is available for change."

Q. What if I want to change from a oneworld airline such as QR to a non-oneworld partner such as EY, but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change the award type (AAnytime to MileSAAver, MileSAAver to reduced miles, etc.), but keep the same origin and destination?

You will be required to redeposit the miles and secure new awards at the new rates if after 22 March.

Q. What if I want to change class of service and keep everything else the same?

Q. Is there a limit to the number of times I can change my pre-22 Mar award booking?

Many/most flyers have reported no issues with multiple changes for pre-22 Mar award bookings. Some AA EP agents and at least one supervisor have stated the rule is only ONE VOLUNTARY CHANGE will be allowed to keep the award at the pre-22 March level. A second or subsequent voluntary change will require conversion to the new chart and "paying" more miles.

Q. What would it cost me to redeposit an award? Two or more awards?

Redepositing an award costs $150 (plus $25 for each other award secured with miles from the same account). These redeposit fees are waived if the account is that of an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member. Link to FT thread: AA award reinstatement / miles redeposit fees, issues, questions (consolidated)

If they are separate awards on different PNRs they may require $150 each.

Q. If I purchase an award by 22 March, how far out can I change the award (within the parameters given)?

An award must be used within one year of issue.

NOTE: Region changes

• Bolivia and Manaus, Brasil: changing from South America 2 to South America 1
  • Venezuela: changing from South America 1 to South America 2
  • Guam: changing from Asia 2 to South Pacific
  • Sri Lanka: changing from Asia 2 to Indian Subcontinent/Middle East
  • Kiribati, Palau, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu: added to South Pacific region
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Aaargh... does anyone know in what time zone the change takes effect? Two hour hold times.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
I understand it will be in Central Time Zone.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I am trying to change an award from A-B-C to A-B-D. There is space on the B-D flight currently but not on the A-B I have booked already. If I make the destination change (hopefully tonight) do they need the space on A-B available or will I be good?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by JetAway
What is the governing date of an pre-3/22 award that is reissued after 3/22 because of a schedule change and the new ticket carries the later date (for example, 4/1)? Is the ticket now valid until 4/1/17?
Original ticketing date.

Originally Posted by jkuok
JonNYC what do you mean "You can drop a segment at the end (as long as no change in zone.)"?
In a similar vein can I drop a segment at either the beginning or end of my trip as long as it remains in the same zone?

Last edited by saltytheseagull; Mar 21, 2016 at 9:27 pm Reason: DP
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:26 pm

Pls delete me.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
In a similar vein can I drop a segment at either the beginning or end of my trip as long as it remains in the same zone?
Country of origin cannot change, but please read the beginning part of this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26359248-post234.html
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Country of origin cannot change, but please read the beginning part of this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26359248-post234.html
Thanks. That's how I interpret it, but I'm not sure if I've got time (or am feeling risky enough) to add segments onto everything...
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Well, I'm f____d. Found plemty of Guest Award avail on Etihad, AAgent said none was available for AA. Claimed to have checked through EOS.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:22 pm

So much for midnight central. I had two left that priced at 110k.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I called at 8:20 PM MT my time. Almost 90 mins later, when I finally talk to an agent, she can't find any availability on Cathay even though Ba.com shows 4 flights available that day for awards. When she finally finds something, it's then 10:05 PM. But since she's on the east coast, the mileage rates went up for her.

Oh well, that was fun.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:28 pm

Is the time zone CT for new rules? I do not see it anywhere in the announcement page except for a few posters mentioning earlier in the thread.Been waiting since 2 hours to get one ticket done...if its CT, i think its no point waiting either.by the time agent picks the seats, takes card info, etc. it will be past the time i guess.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:38 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
This is bit of a cluster fun.

I was in the process of ticketing a held reservation online, and right at midnight EST the "pay for ticket" button disappeared. When I tried to book the the same flight from scratch it started to price at the new level.

So the deadline being CST is not true.

However, when I called the website help desk, they transferred me to a ticketing agent right away (no holds) and she was able to ticket at the old mileage level. Now it's showing as "on request" and the miles have not been deducted right away, which is SOP in my experience.

Fingers crossed.

You might want to give the web help desk a try if you can't get through to a regular agent due to hold times.

Good luck!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Well, I'm f____d. Found plemty of Guest Award avail on Etihad, AAgent said none was available for AA. Claimed to have checked through EOS.
EY required a call to the OZ Call Center in most cases. I only tried a couple dates with the puerto rico office and once they said they could not see I called the OZ number and the first date I checked had space. Theres a whole discussion about it in the thread about booking AA awards operated by EY thread. However they are now booking at the new rates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, National Executive
Prices still haven't changed for me on the east coast.

EDIT: Well the prices that went up have changed for me. The new 7,500 OW under 500 mile tier is still ringing up as 12,500. Also the Caribbean awards have not decreased in price either.

Last edited by chadmb2003; Mar 21, 2016 at 10:55 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
The first call was not good and I had to call a second time. However the price went up but agent quoted CMB-SFO as 70000 over pacific. Sounds like the region change has not kicked in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.