Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award Change and Re-deposit Fees for Gold Members? I wasn't charged....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:29 am
Original Poster

I'm AA Gold and from everything I've read Gold members have to pay change and re-deposit fees for award flights.

However, in the past 2 years, I've cancelled 1 award ticket and changed city combinations for another, and I wasn't charged.

Each time I made the change/cancellation request the agent said that I would be assessed a fee, but it never showed up on my credit card.

Has this happened to anybody else? Is it possibly a function of flying on partner airlines? Is it a glitch?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Were the miles from your account? Were there any major schedule changes that could have caused the fee to be waived? Any chance it showed up on a different card that is saved in AA's system?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:01 pm

It's a glitch, and it's happened to me as well.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
It's a glitch, and it's happened to me as well.
Here are the 2 times it happened to me:

1) Itinerary Change:
Original flight was FCO to MAD to JFK on Iberia
New flight was NAP to DUS to JFK on Air Berlin

2) Cancellation:
Hawaiian Airlines from HNL to JFK (while Hawaiian was still a partner)

I was thinking of booking a speculative ticket before the devaluation, but I don't want to get stuck with cancellation fees if I can't take the trip.

Any idea if it would happen again?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You are supposed to be charged the fee, so if you book a ticket, that's what you should expect.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. S
Here are the 2 times it happened to me:

1) Itinerary Change:
Original flight was FCO to MAD to JFK on Iberia
New flight was NAP to DUS to JFK on Air Berlin

2) Cancellation:
Hawaiian Airlines from HNL to JFK (while Hawaiian was still a partner)

I was thinking of booking a speculative ticket before the devaluation, but I don't want to get stuck with cancellation fees if I can't take the trip.

Any idea if it would happen again?
The fee is MANUALLY charged. You simply got lucky that on both times the agents forgot to manually charge you the fee.

If you think 3 times a charm, then go ahead and bet the 3rd time an agent would also forget to manually charge you the fee.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
The fee is MANUALLY charged. You simply got lucky that on both times the agents forgot to manually charge you the fee.

If you think 3 times a charm, then go ahead and bet the 3rd time an agent would also forget to manually charge you the fee.
Both agents told me there would be a fee. It just never posted......
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. S
Both agents told me there would be a fee. It just never posted......
That is my point - the agents KNEW there was a fee but they had to manually put it in. Unlike the telephone booking fee, it is not a system default. (Agent needs to Manually take off the telephone booking fee now it no longer applies). They forgot that step so you were not charged at the end. Is that clear enough now the meaning of "Manually Charged"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.