Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Book AA Off-Peak to Europe by 3/22 questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

If I miss an obvious Wiki/Thread, my apologies and please point me there

I'm long-time *A expert but first time AA redemption really, before 3/22
no status with AA or OneWorld

Have 175K AA miles (converted from Aeroplan via Points.com to USDM)

Want to redeem for 4 Economy R/T tickets, Toronto to Europe by 3/22 (40K R/T), for travel either X'mas 2016 or as late as possible in 2017 (probably Jan/Feb 2017 with 331 days out)

Prefer warmer cities in winter times, like LIS, MAD, BCN. Maybe FCO/ATH

Few questions to the experts
1. Off-peak price (20K one-way/40K r/t) is available on partners like Jet Airways (9W), yes? and on AA metals of course, don't want BA/IB of course
Oct 15 - May 15

2. As I think Jet Airway's new route YYZ-AMS may be the hidden gem to book (as was the original YYZ-BRU), only way to book is call AA to find space, yes?

3. I believe AA releases space 331 days out, any idea on Jet?

4. We can tag on say OW/partner AMS-Europe flights in the same award, like using BA or IB with hopefully minimal YQ?

5. I think this is still IFFY (according to OMAAT), but changes after 3/22/2016 MAY still only costs the same miles, if Origin/Destination remain the same...??
I am only asking to see if I can possibly extend the trip into late 2017 (although Off-peak date range will have changed already)

Thanks all in advance
Once I burned all my AA miles, no more

Last edited by jerryhung; Jan 11, 2016 at 9:24 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Deleted

Last edited by imapilotaz; Jan 11, 2016 at 11:29 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
I assume by "Jet" you are referring to WestJet, not Jet Airways or someone else? As I am not familiar with any airline "Jet" that AA has any deals with.
AA miles can be used to redeem on Jet Airways.

1. Yes, if booked before 3/22, valid off-peak is valid on all partners.
2. Yes, you must call AA about Jet award space. I've never seen a way to search Jet availability online.

4. Yes, BA/IB have small fuel surcharges within Europe, so you can include intra-Europe BA/IB flights in your itinerary on and not pay too much.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Poster

I did mean "Jet Airways" (less known = possible more availability, fingers crossed)

will report back if I do call in later
Thanks all
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I did mean "Jet Airways" (less known = possible more availability, fingers crossed)

will report back if I do call in later
Thanks all
Jet Airways is pretty well known. The only airline with greater name recognition with Jet in the name is perhaps Jet Blue.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knit-in
Jet Airways is pretty well known. The only airline with greater name recognition with Jet in the name is perhaps Jet Blue.
Ha, I have typing issues today
I meant it "less known" as in "less known as AA redemption partner" (since it's not available online to search, and generally less known airlines/routes too, see OMAAT link)

UNLESS ... I've been living in the dark and EVERYBODY ELSE knows about redeeming AA on Jet Airways ...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I meant it "less known" as in "less known as AA redemption partner" (since it's not available online to search, and generally less known airlines/routes too, see OMAAT link)

UNLESS ... I've been living in the dark and EVERYBODY ELSE knows about redeeming AA on Jet Airways ...
Point well taken.

Forgive the digression.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

When it comes to Christmas travel, you're trying to redeem in economy class at a time of year where there's lots of people flying economy to visit family in India... I wouldn't assume you're going to find 4Y for X'mas 2016. January/February 2017 are likely better.

I would probably jump on the redemption as soon as your target dates come in.

Also not sure that YYZ-AMS(9W)-MAD(IB) is all that much better than YYZ-JFK(AA)-MAD(IB) if you're trying to actually get to LHR or MAD. If anything it's likely more inconvenient. LHR doesn't have inbound APD, and the YQ doesn't exist if you're on AA metal (which actually does exist for Y award inventory on AA metal during offpeak times).

Also, keep in mind that AA has some strange rules for award inventory, such as published fare rules; if 9W doesn't publish a YYZ-MAD/LHR fare, you won't be able to book those IB/BA tag-on flights on top of the 9W YYZ-AMS flight using AA miles...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 11, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
When it comes to Christmas travel, you're trying to redeem in economy class at a time of year where there's lots of people flying economy to visit family in India... I wouldn't assume you're going to find 4Y for X'mas 2016. January/February 2017 are likely better.

I would probably jump on the redemption as soon as your target dates come in.

Also not sure that YYZ-AMS(9W)-MAD(IB) is all that much better than YYZ-JFK(AA)-MAD(IB) if you're trying to actually get to LHR or MAD. If anything it's likely more inconvenient. LHR doesn't have inbound APD, and the YQ doesn't exist if you're on AA metal (which actually does exist for Y award inventory on AA metal during offpeak times).

Also, keep in mind that AA has some strange rules for award inventory, such as published fare rules; if 9W doesn't publish a YYZ-MAD/LHR fare, you won't be able to book those IB/BA tag-on flights on top of the 9W YYZ-AMS flight using AA miles...
What do you mean by the underlined part?
"LHR doesn't have inbound APD, and the YQ doesn't exist if you're on AA metal (which actually does exist for Y award inventory on AA metal during offpeak times)."?

I understand that YQ doesn't exist on AA metal, at all. High YQ on BA, low-mid YQ on IB?

Thanks for the published rule tip

Lessons from Aeroplan world is to find TATL segment first (e.g. hence YYZ-AMS, still easier than transiting via USA even if I have NEXUS/Global Entry)

I'll take whatever comes my way really, even AMS as destination if I have to
or worse, redeem Avios between AMS-somewhere warmer (not LHR for sure)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
What do you mean by the underlined part?
"LHR doesn't have inbound APD, and the YQ doesn't exist if you're on AA metal (which actually does exist for Y award inventory on AA metal during offpeak times)."?
Lots of AA metal availability in Y on offpeak. Have no clue what 9W offers.

Good luck on 9W, but I suspect you may be stuck with AMS and doing extra segments with Avios.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Added date in my calendar to start searching/booking

To confirm a few thoughts, whether AA is similar to Aeroplan miles

1. I can book a R/T as 2 one-way if I want to secure space (say 331 days out)?
Cons: 2 PNR, 2 possible change fees

2. Multi-city costs the same as R/T (20K one-way, 40K R/T)?
e.g. if I do YYZ-PHL-LIS, open-jaw (unless I can include IB segments??), BCN/MAD-USA-YYZ

3. I can HOLD for 24 hours before actual ticketing? (vs. cancel within 24 hours)
is that via phone only or doable ONLINE?

Thanks experts!!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Added date in my calendar to start searching/booking

To confirm a few thoughts, whether AA is similar to Aeroplan miles

1. I can book a R/T as 2 one-way if I want to secure space (say 331 days out)?
Cons: 2 PNR, 2 possible change fees

2. Multi-city costs the same as R/T (20K one-way, 40K R/T)?
e.g. if I do YYZ-PHL-LIS, open-jaw (unless I can include IB segments??), BCN/MAD-USA-YYZ

3. I can HOLD for 24 hours before actual ticketing? (vs. cancel within 24 hours)
is that via phone only or doable ONLINE?

Thanks experts!!
Award reservations can be held for five days at no charge, either at aa.com, or by phone if your award cannot be booked at aa.com.

All AA awards are one-ways, and can be combined to create a roundtrip, single- or double-open-jaw, circle trip, etc.

If your return trip is not yet bookable when you book your outbound, you can either delay booking your outbound (which runs the risk of award inventory disappearing), or you can book the outbound and return separately (which runs the risk of an extra $25 per additional award in re-deposit fees if you have to cancel the entire trip).
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Award reservations can be held for five days at no charge, either at aa.com, or by phone if your award cannot be booked at aa.com.

All AA awards are one-ways, and can be combined to create a roundtrip, single- or double-open-jaw, circle trip, etc.

If your return trip is not yet bookable when you book your outbound, you can either delay booking your outbound (which runs the risk of award inventory disappearing), or you can book the outbound and return separately (which runs the risk of an extra $25 per additional award in re-deposit fees if you have to cancel the entire trip).
I assume we can include IB segments if available (say from LIS-MAD/BCN)

Thank you
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I assume we can include IB segments if available (say from LIS-MAD/BCN)

Thank you
Yes, you can include IB segments if they are available. You will, however, need to phone AA to check IB availability and book the flight; when IB flights are involved, neither of these things can be done online. Remember as well that IB imposes a surcharge on award flights.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392
Yes, you can include IB segments if they are available. You will, however, need to phone AA to check IB availability and book the flight; when IB flights are involved, neither of these things can be done online. Remember as well that IB imposes a surcharge on award flights.
Thank you
Sounds like it may be easier for me to book my own Avios booking on IB later on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.