FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: 2016 AA Elite Status Challenge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1736026-archive-help-desk-faq-2016-aa-elite-status-challenge.html)

josmul123 Jan 6, 2016 8:05 pm

I'm going for EXP this year. I've got 42K EQM booked already from now through April, and I've easily got another 60k I plan to book between April and October. With the front quarter of my year so loaded, I kind of wish there was an EXP challenge available, but I guess I'll just have to be happy hitting EXP at all. Will be the first time.

AdamNP Jan 6, 2016 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sheep (Post 25974855)
Anyone know the answer to this? I plan to call and register tomorrow.

I didn't get Gold when I signed up for the Platinum challenge yesterday, but I didn't ask. My first flight on AA is paid F and will complete the Platinum challenge, so I wasn't worried about being Gold for like 5 seconds, lol. From what I've read, if you mention having status at another airline, they may give you Gold.

Smiley90 Jan 6, 2016 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by AdamNP (Post 25975743)
I didn't get Gold when I signed up for the Platinum challenge yesterday, but I didn't ask. My first flight on AA is paid F and will complete the Platinum challenge, so I wasn't worried about being Gold for like 5 seconds, lol. From what I've read, if you mention having status at another airline, they may give you Gold.

it's not about being gold for 5 seconds... it's about being gold for the flight. So you're missing out on the gold benefits, 25% extra RDM and you won't start collecting 500-mile upgrades until after the flight...

AdamNP Jan 6, 2016 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 25975754)
it's not about being gold for 5 seconds... it's about being gold for the flight. So you're missing out on the gold benefits, 25% extra RDM and you won't start collecting 500-mile upgrades until after the flight...

Yes, I realize this, but being as it's paid F, most of the Gold benefits are irrelevant, at least the ones I'm concerned with. Yes, I'll lose out on some RDM and a few 500-milers, but I wasn't too worried about it. Not saying anyone else should be OK with it, just that I was :)

IRISHFLYER1 Jan 7, 2016 5:29 am

Originally Posted by honda654 (Post 25961064)
I am SO thinking of doing this. I have some BA flights late this month in O which net over 25K miles alone and literally sneak in at the end of the 100% earning rate on AA (while they only earn 25% on BA).
As long as my PLT post immediately after the flight, I could earn 100% bonus on the way home.

Don't you need 4 flights with AA?

Microwave Jan 7, 2016 6:19 am

Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1 (Post 25977117)

Do we know for a fact that the new challenge requirements include 4 AA flights?

JonNYC Jan 7, 2016 6:20 am

Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1 (Post 25977117)

Definitely no such requirement.

WriterGirlLinds Jan 7, 2016 6:22 am

Proof

Has anyone been asked to show proof before they did platinum challenge? I was going to call and see if they would give me the option... Just for fun lol. I have no status with AA yet. ***Edit*** I did see someone responded and said they were NOT required to show proof. Has that been the case for everyone? Thanks :)

355F1 Jan 7, 2016 7:58 am

Originally Posted by WriterGirlLinds (Post 25977308)
Has anyone been asked to show proof before they did platinum challenge? I was going to call and see if they would give me the option... Just for fun lol. I have no status with AA yet. ***Edit*** I did see someone responded and said they were NOT required to show proof. Has that been the case for everyone? Thanks :)

No proof for me. Yes, I know I replied way earlier with that info. :)

UCitiFlyer Jan 7, 2016 10:06 am

Can someone please confirm that this flight will clear the EQM requirement for platinum? LAX TXL is 5798 miles. I was going to have one segment be in premium economy, fare class W. The other would be discount economy but codeshare AA/BA.

So leg 1: 5798 EQM
Leg 2: 5798 EQM * 1.5 Premium Economy multiplier = 8697.

Total EQM should be 14,495. Is that the correct calculation? Thanks!

Smiley90 Jan 7, 2016 10:20 am

Originally Posted by UCitiFlyer (Post 25978459)
Can someone please confirm that this flight will clear the EQM requirement for platinum? LAX TXL is 5798 miles. I was going to have one segment be in premium economy, fare class W. The other would be discount economy but codeshare AA/BA.

So leg 1: 5798 EQM
Leg 2: 5798 EQM * 1.5 Premium Economy multiplier = 8697.

Total EQM should be 14,495. Is that the correct calculation? Thanks!

depends, the codeshare segment, what's the flight number? AA or BA?

scubadu Jan 7, 2016 10:34 am

Originally Posted by WriterGirlLinds (Post 25977308)

Proof of what? This is a "challenge" not a status match

Regards

UCitiFlyer Jan 7, 2016 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 25978545)
depends, the codeshare segment, what's the flight number? AA or BA?

AA flight number, but operated by BA. e.g.

AA 6186
- flight leg 2
Operated by
British Airways

Booking code W.

WriterGirlLinds Jan 7, 2016 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 25978639)
Proof of what? This is a "challenge" not a status match

Regards

So anyone could do it an you don't need to reference miles on another airline? I thought the "challenge" was only available to flyers who had status with other airlines.

Smiley90 Jan 7, 2016 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by WriterGirlLinds (Post 25979376)
So anyone could do it an you don't need to reference miles on another airline? I thought the "challenge" was only available to flyers who had status with other airlines.

Gold/Plat: Status Challenge (challenge for a status)
EXP: Status Match Challenge (challenge for a status match)

note the difference. ;)