FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: 2016 AA Elite Status Challenge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1736026-archive-help-desk-faq-2016-aa-elite-status-challenge.html)

355F1 Jan 4, 2016 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Resident (Post 25961159)
It was not clear if the GLD status was due to your Delta miles or for all comers. No need for attitude; we are all friends here.

Not sure either. I just offered up info to try and maximize my offer. :)

btatting Jan 4, 2016 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25961141)
Huh? AA does not have PQDs (United's premier qualifying dollars) or any equivalent. In the past, AA's challenges have been based on elite qualifying points, which no longer exist; 2016 EQMs are more like 2015 EQPs than like 2015 EQMs. AA has never offered a segment challenge (at least not to the general public).

That is what I figured, us segment flyers always have to work a little harder. I fly four segments a week starting next week (new job), but they aren't long flights. So if I did the challenge for Plat, it would take me 9 weeks to hit 12,500 miles. But 6 more weeks after that I would earn Plat using segments, so it doesn't seem worth the fee. Oh well, will keep grinding it out.

AAmericanFlyer Jan 4, 2016 4:00 pm

Is there any trick (extra fee or whatnot) to getting PLT status during the challenge period?

aabrad Jan 4, 2016 4:04 pm

Just signed up for the Plat challenge. There is no offer for ExPlat, they would not give me gold benefits off the bat, and FWIW the gold challenge costs $120.

24left Jan 4, 2016 4:23 pm

Just signed up for the Plat.
Agent said 2 emails are sent within 24 hours - one with receipt for fee, second one with the challenge info.
He confirmed that the 4 AA segments are not required for this challenge.
He confirmed status will run until Feb 28, 2017. (Should I fly to achieve EXP prior then, status will be updated.)

Thanks aabrad for your suggestion to sign up. For those of us with tickets/routes that will earn well past the minimum EQM requirement, it is well worth it.

Just a suggestion - make sure to get your receipt # anyway and confirm your start date. He set mine at just prior to my first flight.

jazzmailman Jan 4, 2016 5:11 pm

I just called CS today (before reading this thread) and was informed:

Gold Challenge: $120 to enter, 7000 EQM

Platinum Challenge: $200 to enter, 12500 EQM, instant Gold status for the duration of the challenge

Both challenges can be backdated to 1/1/16 or postdated 2 weeks.

andy1022 Jan 4, 2016 5:13 pm

What is the fee? Just would like to clarify, because two different messages were there.

jazzmailman Jan 4, 2016 5:25 pm

I do have a dilemma though..

I currently have Alaska MVP Gold:
- Equivalent of AA Plat
- Free preferred/MCE seats access
- 100% miles bonus
- AS miles is worth at least as much as AA miles

AA Plat (Gold for duration of challenge):
- Free preferred seats access (Gold), MCE access (Plat)
- 25% miles bonus (Gold) / 100% miles bonus (Plat)
- oneworld Sapphire (although i just signed up for the Airberlin match so i should have that status anyway)

I will easily qualify for AA Plat through the challenge since I'm flying at the very least 3 more transcon in 90 days for work (LAX-RDU). However, I will likely not be able to make it to EP since i'll only fly short flights afterwards. LAX-PHX/SFO/SEA/SLC.

My main concern for not signing up for the challenge:
1) $200 extra since i already have status with AS
2) 25% bonus miles (instead of 100%) for the duration of challenge
3) Lack of early MCE selection (since i fly popular routes anyway LAX/DFW/ORD/SFO).
4) I don't really care for complimentary AA first class upgrades (since i fly out from LAX)

What would you do? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

jazzmailman Jan 4, 2016 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by andy1022 (Post 25962016)
What is the fee? Just would like to clarify, because two different messages were there.

$120 for Gold Challenge, $200 for Platinum Challenge.

MilesMath Jan 4, 2016 5:51 pm

How do the EQM multipliers work for a discounted business class on an AA-operated flight booked under a BA codeshare number? Would I get the 2xEQM or is it just 1.5x because I booked a flight with a BA number?

enviroian Jan 4, 2016 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by jazzmailman (Post 25962010)
instant Gold status for the duration of the challenge

Well that's a bummer and also a first. They've always granted the status you were shooting for during the trial period.

FWIW I called the Advantage desk earlier today (before actually seeing this thread) and they said there is no information currently about an EXP challenge but to periodically call back to check.

I'm a 1K with UA and will most likely do the plat challenge for a few reasons:

1. I moved to PHX last year
2. My company just announced AA is the preferred carrier (if UA is even $1 higher I still can't choose it).
3. I hate United.
4. Look forward to more non stops
5. I hate United.

JonNYC Jan 4, 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 25962207)
Well that's a bummer and also a first. They've always granted the status you were shooting for during the trial period.

No, that's definitely not true.

Zylatis Jan 4, 2016 6:15 pm

Apologies if this has been answered: can flights booked and paid for before the initialization of the challenge be counted towards it?

Thanks,
-Z

24left Jan 4, 2016 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Zylatis (Post 25962276)
Apologies if this has been answered: can flights booked and paid for before the initialization of the challenge be counted towards it?

Thanks,
-Z

Yes. I bought one of mine months ago, but the flights are in 2016
I also gave the agent my record locators/booking ref #s and he accessed those tickets.

enviroian Jan 4, 2016 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25962222)
Quote:

Originally Posted by enviroian

No, that's definitely not true.

Well three years ago when I did the EXP challenge as a 1K I had EXP during the challenge period. Definitely did.