FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: 2016 AA Elite Status Challenge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1736026-archive-help-desk-faq-2016-aa-elite-status-challenge.html)

JDiver Jan 2, 2016 10:41 pm

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK & FAQ: 2016 AA Elite Status Challenge

Note: if you have the wikipost option turned off, you may activate wikiposts by clicking on the [+] in the far right of the wikipost blue bar menu just at the top of this thread.

Until late 2015, American Airlines offered a status challenge, a shortcut, to AAdvantage Gold and Platinum status available to all AAdvantage members. (AA did not generally offer "matches" to status.) You can read the archived thread about the challenge here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ec-2015-a.html (link)

The Gold and Platinum challenges ended in September of 2015. AA employees stated then that a new AAdvantage status challenge was in the works for 2016.

At this time, we know there is a new AAdvantage elite status challenge for 2016; we do not know all the details yet. When we do, you will be able to read about and discuss it here.

Thank you for your patience.

/Your American Airlines | AAdvantage forum Moderator team

prs5117 Jan 4, 2016 9:38 am

Platinum Challenge Questions

Hi Everyone,

AA has announced the 2016 Platinum Challenge Requirements (you can get the info by phone 888-697-5636) as 12500 EQM in 90 days.

What is the cheapest way to reach this goal based out of Newark or Philadelphia?

JonNYC Jan 4, 2016 10:50 am

confirmed!

Originally Posted by prs5117 (Post 25959174)
Hi Everyone,

AA has announced the 2016 Platinum Challenge Requirements (you can get the info by phone 888-697-5636) as 12500 EQM in 90 days.

That's news right there, was just about to post it. 12500 EQM in 90 days, AA, AY, BA, QF, JL, IB

Gold Challenge is 7000 EQM

whimsey21 Jan 4, 2016 11:08 am

Any idea if they'll be offering an EXP challenge as well? I missed out on the linkedin one last year (foolishly believed the bit about "new members only") and have been kicking myself ever since.

JonNYC Jan 4, 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by whimsey21 (Post 25959796)
Any idea if they'll be offering an EXP challenge as well?

Let's hope not.

JDiver Jan 4, 2016 11:44 am

I began adding information in the wikipost at the top of this thread.

If people call, please share the details you receive. E.g.

Is the challenge period 90 days, or three months?

What are the signup fees?

What length is the challenge status validity? (Previously, sign up through 15 June, status good through the current status year, the last day of February of the following calendar year; sign up 16 June or later, status validity carried through the current and next status year - 31 Jan 2018, in this instance.)

Etc. The previous challenge was never publicly documented. Member FewMiles documented the details here and on his (defunct) website. With your participation, we can unofficially document the new challenge for our members.

JulienMSP Jan 4, 2016 12:17 pm

fee is 200 for platinum. I asked why there was a fee and was told that its because its not an a true "match"..they give you the status immediately upon completion of the challenge (not sure how that justifies a fee but whatever). I went ahead and paid. I have a biz class round trip ticket to CPH coming up on friday (from PDX). Total mileage is 13875 *1.5 class of service bonus so I'll def. make it.

prs5117 Jan 4, 2016 12:34 pm

Time period is 3 months. My challenge is going from 1/8-4/8. Also if you pay 200 for the platinum challenge (gold challenge is less expensive) and do not reach 12.5k miles, but do reach 7k miles, just call and they will give you gold status.

[Edit: 4/8. Not 3/8]

Sheep Jan 4, 2016 12:47 pm

This may not be the right thread to ask this question, but it is the most prevalent to me.

I have been waiting for this announcement, but have never done an AA status challenge before. Once you complete a challenge, is there a limit to when you can register for another? (ex. you can only complete x challenges within x years?) My issue is that all my business travel in the past has been short haul and my long haul personal vacations have been award based.

JonNYC Jan 4, 2016 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sheep (Post 25960430)
...Once you complete a challenge, is there a limit to when you can register for another? (ex. you can only complete x challenges within x years?)...

There most definitely are such limits in place.

WheelsFirst Jan 4, 2016 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sheep (Post 25960430)
Once you complete a challenge, is there a limit to when you can register for another?

The old program was once per lifetime, as is the rule with all other airlines, so I'd imagine you will never be able to do it again.

JDiver Jan 4, 2016 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst (Post 25960547)
The old program was once per lifetime, as is the rule with all other airlines, so I'd imagine you will never be able to do it again.

No, it wasn't.

For years it wasn't limited. Iirc, most recently it was five years; JonNYC would know.

JonNYC Jan 4, 2016 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst (Post 25960547)
The old program was once per lifetime...

Absolutely not the case.

355F1 Jan 4, 2016 1:29 pm

I told them I just finished the year with Delta with 303,000 MQMs. They offered Gold immediately while I complete my PLT challenge.

I have three MRs planned to JNB on BA next month.

EDIT: My status is now showing as GOLD on aa.com.

Geauxtigers Jan 4, 2016 1:47 pm