Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
Thinking more on this issue, AA should NOT be delaying ANY flights (whether fully booked or nearly empty).
[For the Thanksgiving period of 2015, AA cancelled most of their (AA metal) flts to EUROPE--while annoying, they did it a few weeks in advance.]
Weather they have NO control over, mechanical (better maintenance(?)) should be the exceptions.
What in the world do you mean? Are you saying that there never should be a delay due to maintainance?

Mechanical delays are going to happen, sure the airline should work to minimize them, but to say never is unrealistic. A world in which mechanical delays are considered completely unacceptable, is an operations culture in which safety is compromised.

And AA is hardly the only airline to have planned schedule reductions at periods of known low demand.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
What in the world do you mean? Are you saying that there never should be a delay due to maintainance?

Mechanical delays are going to happen, sure the airline should work to minimize them, but to say never is unrealistic. A world in which mechanical delays are considered completely unacceptable, is an operations culture in which safety is compromised.

And AA is hardly the only airline to have planned schedule reductions at periods of known low demand.
I am NOT saying that.
Weather and mechanical are in general out of AA's control. But in some instances mechanicals can be avoided with better care.
The pilots were holding a "job action" a few years ago. As just one illustration: my flight was delayed for a fire extinguisher issue, (the pilot probably would have found something else!) but the FE problem probably should have been noticed before we got to the take-off runway in DFW, only to return to the gate.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott Gold
Gate availability at O'hare

DCA to ORD AA324, 90 min delay upon arrival waiting for gate - is this typical of AA into ORD - usually in UAL which of course has more gates.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DCLoppy
DCA to ORD AA324, 90 min delay upon arrival waiting for gate - is this typical of AA into ORD - usually in UAL which of course has more gates.
No. I'd wager a 90-minute wait for a gate isn't typical of any airline at any airport.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:09 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by nrr
As a followup, I just got 5000 bonus miles (without my requesting); but these are NEW bonus miles...not as valuable.
As opposed to what other type of bonus miles?

They've never given EQM as compensation for delays...

Greg
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:34 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GregL
As opposed to what other type of bonus miles?

They've never given EQM as compensation for delays...

Greg
If I WOULD have gotten 5000 RDM before the "devaluation" [under the same circumstances], NOW I should get more (to factor in the devaluation).
[In some countries when a currency gets "devaluated", two parallel currencies exist; like France, I.e., there was a time when they had OLD Francs (100 of these =) 1 NEW Franc.]
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Potential delay - what would you do?

I received a notification late yesterday that DFW is under an advisory due to potential severe weather June 1-4, with a waiver for flight changes.

I'm flying PIT-DFW-LAX-SYD tomorrow with my family, arriving in DFW at 4:45 and departing at 6, leaving 3.5 hrs at LAX. There are 2 later DFW-LAX flights scheduled that would get me there on time. Weather shows "chance of T-storms", but only 25-35% through the afternoon and <45% chance all day.

The alternative I can see is through ORD, arriving at 3:30 and departing at 5, with one later flight. Unfortunately, ORD forecast shows "chance of T-storms", with a 50-80% change from 2p-7p, right in that flight window.

I looked at DFW flights last night, and it seemed 1/2 on the board were cancelled and another 30% with 2+ hour delays.

Any sage advice, local wisdom, etc., on which is a better option (of 2 airports notoriously bad for dealing with weather and congestion)?

I'm assuming I only get one chance to make a switch.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nrr
If I WOULD have gotten 5000 RDM before the "devaluation" [under the same circumstances], NOW I should get more (to factor in the devaluation).
[In some countries when a currency gets "devaluated", two parallel currencies exist; like France, I.e., there was a time when they had OLD Francs (100 of these =) 1 NEW Franc.]
Then after miles become more valuable a few months from now, will you argue that you should receive fewer comp miles?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:15 am

Maybe try for PIT-DFW-SYD or PIT-LAX-SYD? Remove the multi stops especially if you're worried about weather.

Otherwise you have plenty of options (with 1 really good option):
PIT-JFK-LAX-SYD (I would try for this one)
PIT-CLT-LAX-SYD
PIT-PHL-LAX-SYD
PIT-ORD-LAX-SYD
PIT-DCA-LAX-SYD
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CPRich
I received a notification late yesterday that DFW is under an advisory due to potential severe weather June 1-4, with a waiver for flight changes.

I'm flying PIT-DFW-LAX-SYD tomorrow with my family, arriving in DFW at 4:45 and departing at 6, leaving 3.5 hrs at LAX. There are 2 later DFW-LAX flights scheduled that would get me there on time. Weather shows "chance of T-storms", but only 25-35% through the afternoon and <45% chance all day.

The alternative I can see is through ORD, arriving at 3:30 and departing at 5, with one later flight. Unfortunately, ORD forecast shows "chance of T-storms", with a 50-80% change from 2p-7p, right in that flight window.

I looked at DFW flights last night, and it seemed 1/2 on the board were cancelled and another 30% with 2+ hour delays.

Any sage advice, local wisdom, etc., on which is a better option (of 2 airports notoriously bad for dealing with weather and congestion)?

What about routing through PHL, CLT, PHX, or MIA?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:17 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by CPRich

The nightly QF nonstop DFW-SYD is showing tons of availability for tomorrow, and it departs DFW at 10:15pm. Call AA and see if they'd switch you to that? Even if delayed PIT-DFW, you should have a plenty long connection for that, right?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm scheduled to be in DFW by 4:45p, so plenty of slack for delays to get on the Qantas flight. If I head to DFW and run into issues, would AA re-route us on Qantas direct, on an AA award (forgot to mention that up front - 4 sAAver awards)

JFK, PHL don't have seats. CLT, DCA are the other 1-stop options, but extra flying and non-MCE planes on some (though getting to LAX on time is more important).

There's also DFW-SAN-LAX and DFW-ABQ-LAX if things get desperate. So that provides lots of DFW options - 2 direct, 2 connect to LAX, plus Qantas direct to SYD. I'll keep my eye on how the forecast is looking in the morning.

Thanks for ideas and food for thought.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Had this happen to us on our ORD-DFW-AUH-MLE flights last month. Saw that there were severe weather alerts starting Thursday evening. Couldn't sleep at all and woke up at 4:30am Friday morning to an email from AA saying that there was the possibility of travel disruptions. Hopped on EF and EY's website and was able to see that JFK-AUH was available for F Awards so we just had to get from ORD to JFK. AAgent was able to route us ORD-BOS-JFK in Y then confirmed us in F on EY's JFK-AUH flight. There was no F availability (all flights were F0A0) but there was Y availability (but not T) so they just "forced us" onto the BOS and JFK flights. Good thing they did because our original ORD-DFW flight wound up being 4.5 hours late and the DFW-AUH flight was 3 hours late. If we would have had to connect out of DFW to get to a gateway to then connect to our EY flight, we would have been royally screwed.

Looks like there is availability in Y on AA3668/111 (PIT-ORD-LAX) tomorrow that will get you into LAX in time for the LAX-SYD flight and has some open seats in MCE. Don't assume that they will put you on the QF DFW-SYD flight if you miss your DFW-LAX connection.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Apparently a JFK-PHX flight today was met by law enforcement because a man stripped down naked and was running up and down the aisle of the plane. Who says AA doesn't offer free IFE entertainment for all?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Missed this
You can change your trip online if it was booked on aa.com or with American Reservations and you're traveling within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands.
ORD forecast is getting worse, DFW is looking same/better. With more options from there, I'm going to keep DFW at least until I get to the airport tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.