Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 3Point
Mrs. 3Point (AAGold) was just delayed for four hours on a DCA-JAX flight on AA5524 late last night, scheduled with an 8pm departure time. They didn't depart until 12:27am, landing at 1:21am. Arriving at her hotel at 3am wouldn't have been so bad if she didn't have a work meeting at 6:45am, and she had been able to get more than 3 hours of sleep beforehand. Very disappointing on the part of AA; apparently the delay was due to waiting on the aircraft to arrive from Maine.

Four hour delays during the day are annoying, but when they ruin your sleep before a big meeting they're just terrible.
The weather in NYC was terrible yesterday afternoon. Not to excuse AA in any way (its ops have been very bad lately), but your wife would likely have been delayed to some extent on any airline.

Believe me, I know it sucks to have to go into a meeting on 3hrs of sleep, but I would also be glad the flight went instead of getting cancelled -- and at least now your wife has something to break the ice with.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: A3 Gold, UA, AA Platinum, DL, Amex Plat, Amex SPG, SPG Gold, AAdvantage Plat/Aviator MCs
Originally Posted by GregL
Considering the weather in the Northeast yesterday (All NYC airports had departure delays of over 2.5 hours due to thunderstorms), what were you expecting AA to do in this case?

The only other option was to cancel the flight...

Greg
Perhaps I hadn't gotten the full story, but she did not indicate to me that AA had told her weather was the cause. Our understanding was that this was an operational delay. Just as well, safety first. Annoying when it happens that late at night though.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GregL
Considering the weather in the Northeast yesterday (All NYC airports had departure delays of over 2.5 hours due to thunderstorms), what were you expecting AA to do in this case?

The only other option was to cancel the flight...

Greg
NYC airports constantly have departure delays of 2+ hours even when a small shower of rain moves through. It's becoming ridiculous. FAA needs to start pulling slots for domestic flights in order to force larger aircraft and less frequent flights at these already packed airports that aren't able to handle their traffic effectively. I would rather be on time than have the option to fly hourly between JFK and Orlando.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:24 am
Suspended

Last night was the most incredible lightning event at/near JFK that I've ever seen.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
The 787-8s are the newest hangar queens. Almost as bad as the A300s
Yep, I was at LAX a few weeks ago and AKL, GRU, and HND all had multi-hour delays. I am flying to AKL in a few months and I cleared my first days schedule just in case I encounter a serious 788 delay...
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Last night was the most incredible lightning event at/near JFK that I've ever seen.
Throughout the area actually - see the vid of the Empire State Building get hit? I heard the rumbles in NYC from the North Fork !
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:09 pm
IHG

Originally Posted by dls25
Yep, I was at LAX a few weeks ago and AKL, GRU, and HND all had multi-hour delays. I am flying to AKL in a few months and I cleared my first days schedule just in case I encounter a serious 788 delay...
I was at LAX Monday morning(7/25) after flying in from Sydney on AA72. In the lounge, I noticed the flight from LAX to Auckland for Sunday night(7/24) had still not departed. Just checked and saw it finally left after 15 hours. Yikes!! I wonder what was the issue. Saw a couple of guys wearing some shirts with New Zealand logos on them. They didn't seem to be in a good mood They'll probably not fly on AA again after this.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...lightNumber=83
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
BDL>PHL @ 5:55 today is canceled.

I've been traveling back and forth from Philly to Hartford a lot lately and this is the second cancelation for maintenance in 2 weeks. Canceleations >3 hours before departure.

This seems really odd. Never encountered this before.

I'm guessing these planes are at the end of their normal useful life...
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IHG
I was at LAX Monday morning(7/25) after flying in from Sydney on AA72. In the lounge, I noticed the flight from LAX to Auckland for Sunday night(7/24) had still not departed. Just checked and saw it finally left after 15 hours. Yikes!! I wonder what was the issue. Saw a couple of guys wearing some shirts with New Zealand logos on them. They didn't seem to be in a good mood They'll probably not fly on AA again after this.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...lightNumber=83
The DOT needs to implement something here in the U.S. like EU261. A 15-hour delay is absurd and everyone impacted should be compensated well. A delay of this length 10k AA miles don't cut it. Now $650 (or whatever the EU261 equivalent is) is a much better start. Europe obviously cares about protecting their consumers, just wish the U.S. did too.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
The DOT needs to implement something here in the U.S. like EU261. A 15-hour delay is absurd and everyone impacted should be compensated well. A delay of this length 10k AA miles don't cut it. Now $650 (or whatever the EU261 equivalent is) is a much better start. Europe obviously cares about protecting their consumers, just wish the U.S. did too.
100% agree. Europe is also an even more competitive environment than the US is.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
DEN-DFW diverted last night to ABI (Abilene, TX) due to weather at DFW.

Landed in ABI, several aircraft already on ground. Passengers being offloaded from one plane and consolidated onto another due to weight issues in ABI. We sat on the MD83 for 2+ hours waiting on a gate as we could not refuel with engines on. Finally got a gate, but ground crew couldn't get air cart hooked up. First Officer spent a half hour on ground working on it, finally got it hooked up and the air cart wouldn't start up.

Approaching the 3 hour mark, had to deplane. I'm sure they were handling it as well as they could - appeared to be less than 5 AA personnel trying to manage 4 mainline jets and an LAX Eagle flight.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by dubstyle311
BDL>PHL @ 5:55 today is canceled.

I've been traveling back and forth from Philly to Hartford a lot lately and this is the second cancelation for maintenance in 2 weeks. Canceleations >3 hours before departure.

This seems really odd. Never encountered this before.

I'm guessing these planes are at the end of their normal useful life...
My conspiracy theory is that they're cancelling these due to light loads on the mid day flights. They do 4x daily between BDL and PHL. Seems like too much tbh.

My only evidence is that I was rebooked on the las flight out and t wasn't full. If a full plane of folks were stranded. I'd expect ppl to be standing by
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by dubstyle311
My conspiracy theory is that they're cancelling these due to light loads on the mid day flights.
That's not just your conspiracy theory -- it's an extremely common, and utterly wrong, one.

In the event of severe weather or other interruptions, flights with light loads may be cancelled to repurpose the aircraft for other flights. But it's never, ever the sole reason for a cancellation.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:07 am

Aa211 man to jfk cancelled 27/07/16 - why?

Anybody know why AA211 cancelled today from Manchester to JFK??
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:24 am

1man/lx cancel man -jfk -crx-cxld due to crew availability*0022
7man/auto reaccom cxl flt completed see n*p1aa0211man27jul *0032*crcymg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.