FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1734392-archive-aa-oso-irops-irrops-delay-cancelation-etc-resources-thru-2019-a.html)

olouie Feb 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Got same email, which is nice they are trying to get out ahead of things. Looks like since rain hasn't started yet they are very limited with changes (mostly date and times). I bet once it hits and things start going wrong they will allow more changes to avoid LAX altogether.

golfingboy Feb 17, 2017 6:42 am

AA is delaying a ton of LAX bound flights from the east coast.

Most ORD-SNA flights were cancelled. All DFW-SNA is still operating. I presume this has to do with SNA's short runway potentially having some difficulties with the strong winds for longer flights.

SAN does not seem to be impacted by any delay yet, but the storm doesn't hit SAN until the evening.

burtonmadness Feb 17, 2017 11:25 am

I have SFO-LAX-HKG tomorrow (Sat) flying SFO-LAX at 7pm.

EF shows all SFO-LAX flights tomorrow blocked out and I called the EXP desk to see if they could move us up to an earlier flight in case of more IRROPS. The EXP desk said they couldnt as so many flights planned to be cancelled today.

golfingboy Feb 17, 2017 3:57 pm

All things considered LAX seems to be holding up well. The only airport thus far that had significant cancellation is SNA.

SAN is supposed to get the brunt of the storm soon, hopefully my flight in 2 hours won't have any issues.

I am starting to think this travel waiver is more about those originating their trips from socal rather than those going there or operational issues. From what I gather it is very dangerous to drive to/from the airports given the drainage system on the roads isn't really designed for storms like this one.

JDiver Feb 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Expect Northern California - especially SFO - to have problems Monday 20 Feb.

ssbmoro Feb 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I was on AA4674 DCA-JFK which was canceled. I was rebooked on AA2117 DCA-LGA, which gets in at 11:12pm. On a separate ticket, I am going JFK-HKG-AKL on CX845 to CX197. CX845 departs at 12:45 am, so I'm very concerned about being able to change airports in time.

Do I have any other options? Will AA get me to my final destination of AKL if I miss CX845? Would AA rebook me on an AA flight to HKG so I can catch CX197 or would that not work because they are separate tickets? The AC agents at DCA are sympathetic but don't seem to know any way to help other than rebooking me on DCA-LGA. Is that my only option? I thought AA still had protection on separate OW tickets.

edit to add: the incoming flight for AA2117, AA2153 is delayed 1hr15 so I don't expect to make the connection as booked.

BThumme Feb 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Is there any DCA-EWR or DCA-BOS or DCA-YYZ flights open? I think those three have late night flights (145am ish) to HKG. Kinda a log shot asking AA to rebook you on those but might be worth a shot, unless missing a day is an option and flying to AKL via LAX is an option on AA metal.

EDIT: Can you get on AA4154 DCA-YYZ (in at 1144pm) and maybe see if AA will rebook you YYZ-HKG-AKL? That could connect to CX829 (1:20am-506am)

ssbmoro Feb 28, 2017 7:39 pm

So I just had the most bizarre turn of good events... I asked the DCA AC to call the JFK AC, to see if they could speak with the CX agents since the CX hotline is closed. All I can say about the agent at JFK is "wow!" She got my information from the DCA AAngel and then asked to speak to me. In a thick Brooklyn accent, she told me I have nothing to worry about and she would watch my flight and make sure LGA gives me the fastest ride to JFK and is speaking with the CX agents to accommodate me tomorrow morning if I don't make it. I breathed a sigh of relief and went to have another scotch while I waited.

A few few minutes later, the DCA agent ran to get me. "Mr ssbmoro! AA104 is uncancelled!" "AA104? That was the 5:30pm! Uncancelled?" I gasped. "Welcome to the new American", she said, dripping with sarcasm.

So so now I have a seat in business direct to JFK that should get there on time. It feels like AA was incompetent for 3 hours and then hypercompetent for 10 minutes, like me at work procrastinating for a deadline.

I'm nowhere near my final destination but I feel like AA cares about getting me there now, and that is such a relief.

MADPhil Feb 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ssbmoro (Post 27972451)
So I just had the most bizarre turn of good events... I asked the DCA AC to call the JFK AC, to see if they could speak with the CX agents since the CX hotline is closed. All I can say about the agent at JFK is "wow!" She got my information from the DCA AAngel and then asked to speak to me. In a thick Brooklyn accent, she told me I have nothing to worry about and she would watch my flight and make sure LGA gives me the fastest ride to JFK and is speaking with the CX agents to accommodate me tomorrow morning if I don't make it. I breathed a sigh of relief and went to have another scotch while I waited.

A few few minutes later, the DCA agent ran to get me. "Mr ssbmoro! AA104 is uncancelled!" "AA104? That was the 5:30pm! Uncancelled?" I gasped. "Welcome to the new American", she said, dripping with sarcasm.

So so now I have a seat in business direct to JFK that should get there on time. It feels like AA was incompetent for 3 hours and then hypercompetent for 10 minutes, like me at work procrastinating for a deadline.

I'm nowhere near my final destination but I feel like AA cares about getting me there now, and that is such a relief.

That is a quite amazing turn of events. I hope that your revived good luck continues and that you have a good trip. Thanks for letting us know.

DenverBrian Mar 6, 2017 8:52 pm

My DEN-LAX-SFO was delayed (winds in Denver, but also some WX in other parts of AA world) and I called the irrops number to see about options, including endorsing me over to UA for a nonstop DEN-SFO.

"Well, we've already booked you DEN-PHX-SFO, Mr. DB, and first class on both legs - it's only a 29-minute later arrival at SFO." So I said sure, that sounds fine. Book me on that.

Literally five minutes after getting off the phone, the DEN-PHX segment went delayed by 90 minutes, breaking the PHX-SFO connection. Had to call back; this time, no good SFO finals until 9:30 PM, so I more urgently suggested interlining me. "OK, Mr. DB, but I have to call them. Hang on." Which I did, for about 10 minutes.

"You're all set - here's your locator number." I confirmed I could pull up the res on United, which said "ticketed," so thought all was OK.

Off to DEN/DIA and the UA counter. "See agent." "Mr. DB, AA only put the res in, they didn't ticket it. Go see AA." Trudge, trudge to the AA counter. Many people in the Priority line. Back to the phone. "Oh, I see, Mr. DB, they didn't un-check you in. Hold on. Five minutes; AA's live line for Priority moved two peeps in that time. "OK, Mr. DB, you're actually ticketed now."

Trudge, trudge back to UA. "See agent." "Hmm, Mr. DB, they didn't actually complete the transaction, so let me see - oh, yes, I can access it." Type, type. Boarding pass finally emerges.

The UA DEN-SFO flight ended up delayed about 90 minutes, but got me in to SFO about 6 PM, not a horrible delay. But man. The patience, teeth you have to pull, and forgiveness for AA errors that it takes.

JDiver Mar 7, 2017 6:52 pm

Unfortunately, it's not unusual for an AA agent to say they have booked you on another airline, but fail to go through all the steps.

ty97 Mar 10, 2017 11:27 am

It's very early and the forecast could change for better or for worse. If this turns into a true Nor'easter with high winds and a foot or more of snow, I expect hierarchy won't matter: basically nothing will operate.

That is a HUGE *if* at this point though.

JJeffrey Mar 10, 2017 11:33 am

That A330 does a PHL-MCO-PHL turn, arriving back in PHL around 4:30pm, where it will then go across the pond. Today the plane is operating the PHL-MUC flight.

If anything, AA might cancel the PHL-MCO flight for fear of the return flight not being able to make it back to PHL. They will at least try to get most of the Europe bank off.

Of course, this is just mindless speculation on my part, which is all anyone around here will be able to do until the gravity of the storm is better known. If it's bad enough then everything will get cancelled...if your meeting is critical, I would do whatever I could to try and get out on Monday.

MCOGUY Mar 10, 2017 11:40 am

I fly MCO PHL return a fair bit and occasionally on the nice 330. Typically it's down to MCO and back to make up some time prior to its evening international flight out of PHL. I think the issue would be more for the 330's evening international obligations (i.e. If there is a chance of it getting out of PHL due to weather)than the MCO round trips, but I'm not a weatherman.:cool:

Often1 Mar 10, 2017 1:26 pm

AA's practice is no different than other major carriers. In a major storm, it will fly its aircraft away from the affected stations. In other words, AA won't risk having a widebody stcuk for 2-3 days in a storm system, so this is not a question of whether the MCO or MUC flights go.

On the other hand, there is no suggestion as of yet that this is one of those situations and since there is no such suggestion, trying to figure that out is not even worth a second's thought.

The only solid thing to do is to leave Monday, but you say that you can't do that. So, barring a Monday departure, just hang in there and be ready to be flexible.

GNRMatt Mar 10, 2017 1:31 pm

I've been told by PHL operations in the past that they DO prioritize the European flights getting out over everything else. Other than that, there is no other prioritization based on destination.

pinniped Mar 10, 2017 2:13 pm

I just switched our flights from the 14th to the 12th to beat the blizzard to D.C. So thank you, AA, for issuing this advisory far enough in advance that we could actually reschedule a few things and take advantage of it. ^

But one minor question: why did AA charge me 20 cents per person to make my change? :) This is obviously not a real complaint: more of a curiosity than anything. Ticket was originally booked in December: did some tax change between now and then? Routing/segments stayed exactly the same.

I had to fish out a credit card and go through the whole payment page. Really wanted to click on that 6-month financing option just to see what would happen :p, but really didn't want more pages of web forms...

deeruck Mar 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 28019874)
I just switched our flights from the 14th to the 12th to beat the blizzard to D.C. So thank you, AA, for issuing this advisory far enough in advance that we could actually reschedule a few things and take advantage of it. ^

But one minor question: why did AA charge me 20 cents per person to make my change? :) This is obviously not a real complaint: more of a curiosity than anything. Ticket was originally booked in December: did some tax change between now and then? Routing/segments stayed exactly the same.

I had to fish out a credit card and go through the whole payment page. Really wanted to click on that 6-month financing option just to see what would happen :p, but really didn't want more pages of web forms...

Is it an international flight? I'm guessing a currency difference on some airport or foreign government charge.

washeelers747 Mar 10, 2017 2:49 pm

Argh, can someone tell AA to check on weather around DC area... Storms will hit DC area on Monday night, but AA only allow WX-related changes for people who fly on March 14-15 (cross my finger that AA will include March 13 asap!).

dwei Mar 10, 2017 5:34 pm

I am scheduled to fly on an award ticket, JL3 (JFK-NRT), on March 14. Is there anything I can do at this point proactively? I see some availability on JL5 on March 13 but is there a chance it will not get ticketed in time since it is the weekend and so close to departure? Thanks.

JJeffrey Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by dwei (Post 28020595)
I am scheduled to fly on an award ticket, JL3 (JFK-NRT), on March 14. Is there anything I can do at this point proactively? I see some availability on JL5 on March 13 but is there a chance it will not get ticketed in time since it is the weekend and so close to departure? Thanks.

Ticketing runs 24/7. If you want to change to the day prior then I would do so. I've booked a JL award with AA miles about 4-5 hrs before departure and it was ticketed fine on a Sunday.

saaveraward Mar 11, 2017 12:20 am

JFX WX 3/14, how bad does it look?, intl rebooking

How's the weather looking for Tuesday for an AM arrival? Does it look like operations will be shut down?

I'm on a saaveraward MLE-AUH-JFK-XXX on EY/AA.

Happy to avoid JFK, but AA won't even contact EY about changes because O class is not available. Do I really have to wait for a cancel to rebook even though AA has put out an advisory? And then won't I be stuck in AUH for days?

What's the best play here?

JonNYC Mar 11, 2017 7:54 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward (Post 28021498)
How's the weather looking for Tuesday for an AM arrival? Does it look like operations will be shut down?

I'm on a saaveraward MLE-AUH-JFK-XXX on EY/AA.

Happy to avoid JFK, but AA won't even contact EY about changes because O class is not available. Do I really have to wait for a cancel to rebook even though AA has put out an advisory? And then won't I be stuck in AUH for days?

What's the best play here?

I'd say you're more likely to get delayed at JFK rather than AUH, but, at least to my way of thinking. not much you can really do at this point unless award inventory opens up on another EY flight

tlm_83 Mar 11, 2017 2:56 pm

If this turns into a big storm, how late after it will flights be affected? Snow should stop on Tuesday night based on current models. I have a flight Wednesday MCI>LGA scheduled to arrive at 4:30 p.m. If travel gets disrupted on Tuesday, will flights Wednesday also be canceled?

The fact that AA is allowing changes for Wednesday 3/15 flights tells me there may be some disruption. I just don't know how concerned to be.

Spyder Mar 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Flights are cancelled into Westchester from ORD tomorrow.

Got a notice that my itinerary was cancelled, called into EXP desk and rerouted through LGA.

EXP agent informed me that although the new ticket is less money than the original into HPN, I am not entitled to the difference.

flyerCO Mar 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 28027094)
Flights are cancelled into Westchester from ORD tomorrow.

Got a notice that my itinerary was cancelled, called into EXP desk and rerouted through LGA.

EXP agent informed me that although the new ticket is less money than the original into HPN, I am not entitled to the difference.

Correct. flip side is if it was more expensive you wouldn't have been charged.

JDiver Mar 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 27894118)
Post to attempt resetting the database entry for this thread.

/Moderator

ibrandsguest May 1, 2017 1:05 pm

In case of IRROPS such as flight cancellations due to weather, when AA is trying to figure out who gets a seat another flight:

Is rebooking priority based on status? Or cabin (first class vs. coach)? Or fare paid? Or some, or all of these criteria?

All other things being equal, if there are 3 seats, and 4 passengers (following), who would NOT get a seat:

* Paid FC passenger
* Status-upgrade FC passenger
* Mileage-upgrade FC passenger
* Status coach passenger

Thanks.

josmul123 May 1, 2017 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter (Post 28253036)
In case of IRROPS such as flight cancellations due to weather, when AA is trying to figure out who gets a seat another flight:

Is rebooking priority based on status? Or cabin (first class vs. coach)? Or fare paid? Or some, or all of these criteria?

All other things being equal, if there are 3 seats, and 4 passengers (following), who would NOT get a seat:

* Paid FC passenger
* Status-upgrade FC passenger
* Mileage-upgrade FC passenger
* Status coach passenger

Thanks.

If my understanding is correct, the PALL list for this flight will dictate the ordering.

As per:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ter-thd-2.html

All four passengers would be listed as involuntary standby passengers (RI#, where # is the passenger's status-- 1 for CK to 5 for Gold, no number for no status).

Assuming both status passengers are the same status (EP), they would both be RI2, with their order within the group being based on check-in time.

Both non-status passengers would be just RI, with their order again based on check-in time.

Status-upgrade FC passenger and Status coach passenger would have top priority based on check-in time. Paid FC passenger and Mileage-upgrade FC passenger would have lowest priority again sorted by check-in time.

The person who doesn't get on the flight would therefore be the last person to check in between the Paid FC passenger and Mileage-upgrade FC passenger

I'm sure JonNYC or someone else more knowledgeable than myself will be along to tell me why this is wrong, though.

JDiver Aug 25, 2017 10:57 am

Tropical Storm Harvey has become Hurricane Harvey, and has already begun affecting south / coastal Texas. CRP is closed, IAH and HOU are expected to have flight cancellations.

AA travel policy for Texas (and HKG) currently exists through 29 August. See here.

In part, 25 Aug:

If you’re traveling to/through/from:

Austin, Texas (AUS)
Beaumont / Port Arthur, Texas (BPT)
Brownsville, Texas (BRO)
College Station, Texas (CLL)
Corpus Christi, Texas (CRP)
Houston, Texas (HOU)
Houston, Texas (IAH)
Lake Charles, Louisiana (LCH)
McAllen / Mission, Texas (MFE)
San Antonio, Texas (SAT)

The change fee may be waived if you:
  • Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket by August 23, 2017
  • Are scheduled to travel August 25 - 27, 2017
  • Can travel August 23 - 30, 2017
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference
  • Change your trip online

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements.

Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

CloudCoder Aug 25, 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 28735202)
Tropical Storm Harvey has become Hurricane Harvey, and has already begun affecting south / coastal Texas. CRP is closed, IAH and HOU are expected to have flight cancellations.

AA travel policy for Texas (and HKG) currently exists through 29 August. See here.

Early Wednesday, I wanted to change my flight from IAH to Thursday instead of Friday. AA.com said it would cost $454 to do that. Later on Wednesday, their travel policy was published. Now the price to change (from Friday to Thursday) was zero dollars, so I jumped all over that deal.

On day of travel, AApp couldn't check me in. It said I had to check in at airport. At airport they wanted to see my credit card. As it ends up, I got a $12 refund.

I'll take good news in any format or dosage.

CloudCoder Aug 27, 2017 11:16 am

Practically all flights to/from IAH cancelled for August 27.

ty97 Aug 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 28742168)
Practically all flights to/from IAH cancelled for August 27.

IAH is now closed until at least Noon Monday (and I predict longer than that). HOU is closed until at least 8am Wednesday.

wrp96 Aug 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 28742366)
IAH is now closed until at least Noon Monday (and I predict longer than that). HOU is closed until at least 8am Wednesday.

The runway at HOU is under water, as are all the access roads.

JDiver Aug 28, 2017 9:10 am

East Coast watch. As Harvey diminishes, Irma is building. The Carolinas may be the ne t trouble spot.

GoPhils Aug 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Has there been much impact on DFW?

scnzzz Aug 28, 2017 6:44 pm

OK I'm impressed

In recent times I've been less than impressed by Discount Dougie's approach to customer service. However, a pleasant surprise today.

AA276 SFOJFK, delayed >3 hours thanks to Mx followed by a further delay in recatering for lunch instead of breakfast.

So I get it, these things happen. Didn't have a connection to miss, nor dinner plans that couldn't be moved. So I go about my merry way. Not twenty minutes after the doors open, I received an email from CS with an apology and 5000 miles.

Not expected, and more than the gesture itself, I am impressed by its timing.

Nicely done AA CS!

johnsw1988 Aug 28, 2017 6:45 pm

IROPS on Separate PNR - Same Airlines (AA)

Hi,

I purchased AA tickets on separate PNRs.

1. DCA-ORD (AA metal)
2. ORD-DFW-NRT//HND-SGN (AA metal except HND-SGN leg on JAL, but AA codeshare/AA Flight Number)

If there is IROPS, say winter storm, and flight from/into ORD are canceled. Am I protected? How would they rebook me since these are two separate PNRs?

Another case is if the DCA-ORD is delayed, thus misconnect in ORD. Am I protected? Will they rebook me on my ORD-DFW-NRT//HND-SGN segments?

Thanks!

JDiver Aug 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils (Post 28747442)
Has there been much impact on DFW?

Yes, there has. Three hour ground stop yesterday, iirc, due to thunderstorms and lightning. And of course concatenating problems with flights to / from affected areas.

scnzzz Aug 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by johnsw1988 (Post 28747871)
Hi,

I purchased AA tickets on separate PNRs.

1. DCA-ORD (AA metal)
2. ORD-DFW-NRT//HND-SGN (AA metal except HND-SGN leg on JAL, but AA codeshare/AA Flight Number)

If there is IROPS, say winter storm, and flight from/into ORD are canceled. Am I protected? How would they rebook me since these are two separate PNRs?

Another case is if the DCA-ORD is delayed, thus misconnect in ORD. Am I protected? Will they rebook me on my ORD-DFW-NRT//HND-SGN segments?

Thanks!

My understanding (and I could be wrong on this) is that with separate PNRs, you are not officially protected. Meaning if your DCA-ORD flight is delayed enough that you miss ORD-DFW, you are at the mercy of their goodwill for the onward journey. I would give that a good long layover (at least 4 hours, or better get there the day before) for peace of mind.

If you make it to ORD on time, but your ORD-DFW goes south, you should be protected by AA on subsequent connections. So if you can't make DFW-NRT-SGN, they should be responsible to book you on the next available itinerary DFW-SGN (if I had to bet - DFW-HKG-SGN would be most likely). I'm not sure how they handle the NRT//HND change on a single ticket - did you have a stopover, or a very long layover there? Or if it's obvious in ORD before you board that you'll miss ORD-NRT, they would likely book you ORD-SGN on the next available flight(s).

To others with a better understanding of the matter, please correct me as appropriate :)