Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA
Wow, now I know how jonnyc feels. "major changes are coming" - think early 2017. Obviously CK's aren't automatically recognized right now (other than the "key" designation on the PNR that is manually input upon checkin which shows up on the PALL list). There are some other such major changes coming, which I think will be very favorable to the most frequent fliers.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DoctorORD
Wow, now I know how jonnyc feels. "major changes are coming" - think early 2017. Obviously CK's aren't automatically recognized right now (other than the "key" designation on the PNR that is manually input upon checkin which shows up on the PALL list). There are some other such major changes coming, which I think will be very favorable to the most frequent fliers.
Not sure I'm on the right track here, but did you mean to post this in the CK thread? Or simply that it would fit there just as well/better? If so, yes, certainly something I'm hearing as well.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not sure I'm on the right track here, but did you mean to post this in the CK thread? Or simply that it would fit there just as well/better? If so, yes, certainly something I'm hearing as well.
@:-)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
But are CK's the "most frequent fliers?" I didn't think that was necessarily the case...
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:27 am

SWU over Complimentary Upgrade on International Flight

So AA Exec Plat Desk has been giving me some trouble lately and raising an eyebrow at what I'm trying to do, and I wanted to make sure my understanding is correct.

I have a flight coming up on the 27th of November. ORD-LAX-HKG. I had applied a SWU to my direction of travel, and they said the way they do it now automatically, is that if the international leg clears (LAX-HKG) then the SWU will be applied, otherwise, only the "EXEC PLAT complimentary" upgrade will be used on the ORD-LAX leg. Well that's all fine and dandy in theory assuming that the domestic leg has availability in First and there's no other Exec Plats waiting on a complimentary upgrade.

However, My understanding is that SWUs have a Higher Priority on the ol' "Upgrade List" than do regular complimentary upgrades, because they're seen as revenue. At least, that's how it USED to be. Is that still the case?

The AA Exec Plat desk basically thought I was being goofy when I asked them to just apply the SWU to both legs and not be dependent upon the LAX-HKG leg clearing. There's literally 1 seat available on the ORD-LAX flight as it stands which is currently blocked (and unavailable for purchase), and if/when it opens, i'd like to up my chances of being first on the list for it. I figured that by using a SWU over the complimentary, this changes my priority on the upgrade list.

Is that correct?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by usafltg
So AA Exec Plat Desk has been giving me some trouble lately and raising an eyebrow at what I'm trying to do, and I wanted to make sure my understanding is correct.

I have a flight coming up on the 27th of November. ORD-LAX-HKG. I had applied a SWU to my direction of travel, and they said the way they do it now automatically, is that if the international leg clears (LAX-HKG) then the SWU will be applied, otherwise, only the "EXEC PLAT complimentary" upgrade will be used on the ORD-LAX leg. Well that's all fine and dandy in theory assuming that the domestic leg has availability in First and there's no other Exec Plats waiting on a complimentary upgrade.

However, My understanding is that SWUs have a Higher Priority on the ol' "Upgrade List" than do regular complimentary upgrades, because they're seen as revenue. At least, that's how it USED to be. Is that still the case?

The AA Exec Plat desk basically thought I was being goofy when I asked them to just apply the SWU to both legs and not be dependent upon the LAX-HKG leg clearing. There's literally 1 seat available on the ORD-LAX flight as it stands which is currently blocked (and unavailable for purchase), and if/when it opens, i'd like to up my chances of being first on the list for it. I figured that by using a SWU over the complimentary, this changes my priority on the upgrade list.

Is that correct?
Don't think there is any priority on SWU over comp at the gate. The main benefit is that a SWU could clear/be used if A (or C) opens up in advance of 500 miler windows. But for An EP, at the gate, they would be equal.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Don't think there is any priority on SWU over comp at the gate. The main benefit is that a SWU could clear/be used if A (or C) opens up in advance of 500 miler windows. But for An EP, at the gate, they would be equal.
At one point this was not true. a Cash / Points Upgrade was the same as an SWU, which SWUs and Cash / Points were shown to American as Revenue, where as complimentary upgrades were not. Therefore, on the priority list an SWU would trump regular EXPs already waitlisted on the upgrade list.

I used to use this method all the time if I had SWUs leftover if i found myself on the bottom of the upgrade list, and a quick way to shoot myself to the top of the list.

Can someone please confirm if this is still accurate?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What's the current upgrade priority like?

1) SWUs and Miles and Copy by date of request
-segmented by status (EXP first, Plat second, and so on)
2) Complimentary EXP upgrades for EXPs
-sorted by date of booking
3) 500 mile upgrades
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Hengilas
What's the current upgrade priority like?

1) SWUs and Miles and Copy by date of request
-segmented by status (EXP first, Plat second, and so on)
2) Complimentary EXP upgrades for EXPs
-sorted by date of booking
3) 500 mile upgrades
Thanks for the confirmation ^ It confirms I'm not as Bat $*#& crazy as I thought I might be

However, I think it's also important to note that apparently AA's EXP desk either doesn't understand this, or is confused about why someone would want to use a SWU over a complimentary on a domestic.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If anyone with PALL list access or has other wisdom can shed some light on my experience upgrading in 12/5 in flight 1088 from LAX to MIA. The date stamp on my upgrade request was 5/13. Yet I was way down the upgrade list, #12. I had the AAngel at the Admirals club
Check those ahead of me. All but one had a date stamp in the request later than me. Something was wrong.

I had an SWU waitlisted put pulled it. I also had a flight change due to reschedule but PNR and date stamp stayed the same. (and this has happened often without issue). The AAngel said that I had "O4" next to my name, she never saw it before. I cleared anyway, but would be keen to know what caused it so I don't do it again.

I think the same may happen on the return, open seats went from 25 to 12 in the last 6 hours for tomorrow's return, 275 Mia-lax.

I think the AAngel would have said something if it was all SWUs ahead of me (they would have a VIP notation, right? (She did call her support desk and they couldn't figure it out either),

Anyone know what the issue was?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
If anyone with PALL list access or has other wisdom can shed some light on my experience upgrading in 12/5 in flight 1088 from LAX to MIA. The date stamp on my upgrade request was 5/13. Yet I was way down the upgrade list, #12. I had the AAngel at the Admirals club
Check those ahead of me. All but one had a date stamp in the request later than me. Something was wrong.

I had an SWU waitlisted put pulled it. I also had a flight change due to reschedule but PNR and date stamp stayed the same. (and this has happened often without issue). The AAngel said that I had "O4" next to my name, she never saw it before. I cleared anyway, but would be keen to know what caused it so I don't do it again.

I think the same may happen on the return, open seats went from 25 to 12 in the last 6 hours for tomorrow's return, 275 Mia-lax.

I think the AAngel would have said something if it was all SWUs ahead of me (they would have a VIP notation, right? (She did call her support desk and they couldn't figure it out either),

Anyone know what the issue was?
If you had a flight change and are using a SWU, you received a new timestamp when the new flight waitlist was created. Only 500 milers maintain their time stamps. SWUs and miles and BE (basically anything with a true waitlist) do not maintain their original time stamp. some agents do not understand this and misquote to people that "your timestamp is preserved"
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant I withdrew my SWU request. It was just a 500 mile complimentary upgrade.

Given that the SWUs weren't clearing until the day off and the flight was wide open, I didn't want to waste a 2/18 exp SWU
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:10 am

[QUOTE=beachfan;27581092]Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant I withdrew my SWU request. It was just a 500 mile complimentary upgrade.

Given that the SWUs weren't clearing until the day off and the flight was wide open, I didn't want to waste a 2/18 exp SWU[/QUOTE

Was there ever a request for a 500 miler upgrade BEFORE requesting the SWU?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:23 pm

[QUOTE=AAExecPlatFlier;27582336]
Originally Posted by beachfan
Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant I withdrew my SWU request. It was just a 500 mile complimentary upgrade.

Given that the SWUs weren't clearing until the day off and the flight was wide open, I didn't want to waste a 2/18 exp SWU[/QUOTE

Was there ever a request for a 500 miler upgrade BEFORE requesting the SWU?
Yes, may 13, two months prior to SWu request. I'm thinking if you cancel a SWU request it doesn't pick up the upgrade request, I'm 20 on the list.

PS it's a bummer to have to do so, but I did miles plus copay which just opened up. 2 hours before flight.

Last edited by beachfan; Dec 8, 2016 at 1:12 pm
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:42 pm

I see OS1,OS2,OS3, defined above. What is OS4?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.