FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1734392-archive-aa-oso-irops-irrops-delay-cancelation-etc-resources-thru-2019-a.html)

JDiver May 26, 2016 11:13 am

Executive summary:

DFW weather appears to have some surprises in store for us as the Memorial Day week end approaches.

France continues with multiple strikes. Please use the link to AA Travel Alerts in the wikipost to check current alerts and travel policy.

george 3 Jun 2, 2016 10:32 am

LaGuardia Parking

The parking garage known as P2 fronting Terminal B (Central Terminal) will be closed on July 8 in connection with the rehabilitation program. The LT open air lot next to it (to the west) has been closed and is not an alternative. AA uses concourse C and D in this terminal for legacy AA flights such as DFW, ORD, MIA. AA also uses Terminal C (the old USAir terminal) for shuttle flights to BOS and DCA and other smaller pre-merger USAir cities.

Parking will be a huge issue for the next few years - think cab/car service, public transit or EWR or JFK as alternatives or making your flight will be challenging. The LGA link of the announcement is --> http://laguardiaairport.com/getting-to-from/parking/

saltytheseagull Jun 9, 2016 5:51 pm

AA IRROPS Challenge (help for DFW-GRU misconnect)

Flight from TYR slid 2.5 hrs due to bird strike and it looks like I will misconnect.

Confirmed in J with SWU on AA963.

Due to GRU tomorrow morning.

Anyone got any ideas?

rjw242 Jun 9, 2016 5:53 pm

Rent a car right now, drive to DFW? (or Uber it)

saltytheseagull Jun 9, 2016 6:35 pm

En route to dfw now. Other suggestions would be appreciated.

JDiver Jun 9, 2016 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull (Post 26755515)

Descriptive titles that convey your needs clearly to members and adhere to the Rules? ;)

Thread retitled.

/Moderator

rjw242 Jun 9, 2016 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull (Post 26755515)

You could ask to be rerouted via LIM on the 10:20 PM flight; however, that won't get you into GRU until the afternoon. If that's not acceptable, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

SiempreBCNJFK Jun 9, 2016 7:16 pm

Driving to DFW would have been your best bet. Now that the opportunity has passed, there's no way you're making your connection.

You'd never make the Lima flight either.

Your earliest arrive to GRU is to route DFW-MIA-GRU and you'll get to GRU at 0515.

Honestly, I'd just take the 24 wait and fly DFW-GRU tomorrow at 2120, which puts you in GRU a day late a 0925.

ericgdukie44 Jun 9, 2016 9:37 pm

FWIW, I think in the future if this is an important trip (As opposed to leisure with no rigid timetable) I'd plan to fly from DFW direct in the first place. I have seen on occasion where starting in TYR can save you a little money, but seems like just doing the DFW-GRU would be easier, and can't honestly take much more time to drive to DFW than to fly...

saltytheseagull Jun 9, 2016 10:57 pm

Thanks for your help! We are currently sitting in our free Super 8 hotel room close to DFW. At least we got meal vouchers.

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26755561)
Descriptive titles that convey your needs clearly to members and adhere to the Rules? ;)

Thread retitled.

/Moderator

Sorry for the brevity. I was a little flustered at the time. :D

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK (Post 26755672)
Driving to DFW would have been your best bet. Now that the opportunity has passed, there's no way you're making your connection.

You'd never make the Lima flight either.

Your earliest arrive to GRU is to route DFW-MIA-GRU and you'll get to GRU at 0515.

Honestly, I'd just take the 24 wait and fly DFW-GRU tomorrow at 2120, which puts you in GRU a day late a 0925.

Made it to DFW at 2100. The D0 departure mantra hurt us because the flight was closed early and we were already offloaded. If I hadn't taken two wrong turns and found out about the issue earlier I think that we would have made it (probably arrived around 2000).

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44 (Post 26756170)
FWIW, I think in the future if this is an important trip (As opposed to leisure with no rigid timetable) I'd plan to fly from DFW direct in the first place. I have seen on occasion where starting in TYR can save you a little money, but seems like just doing the DFW-GRU would be easier, and can't honestly take much more time to drive to DFW than to fly...

You called my bluff, lol. It was a leisure trip, and I did it to save money. I was curious as to how long it would take me to get down to Tyler. Apparently UA pulled out 3-4 months ago. Lesson learned.

JDiver Jun 9, 2016 11:38 pm

Ouch!

What's your move now? Good luck!

ericgdukie44 Jun 10, 2016 12:46 am

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull (Post 26756395)

You called my bluff, lol. It was a leisure trip, and I did it to save money. I was curious as to how long it would take me to get down to Tyler. Apparently UA pulled out 3-4 months ago. Lesson learned.

Last summer I was flying to LHR and starting at TYR was $300 cheaper for a while. Eventually Dfw-LHR came down though.

Since its leisure I guess nbd on the missed day, enjoy Brazil.

saltytheseagull Jun 12, 2016 9:17 am

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26756508)
Ouch!

What's your move now? Good luck!

We ended up pushing everything 24 hours. I need to look at my Citi AA Visa insurance and see what's covered cost wise.

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44 (Post 26756646)
Last summer I was flying to LHR and starting at TYR was $300 cheaper for a while. Eventually Dfw-LHR came down though.

Since its leisure I guess nbd on the missed day, enjoy Brazil.

Thanks. It would have been nice to have the extra day but oh well. We went to the CR Smith Museum instead.

wrp96 Jun 13, 2016 1:25 pm

DFW ramp is currently shut down due to lightning. There was a long standby list for my flight from flights being cancelled yesterday and this morning. We are currently sitting on the plane so we will be ready to go once the ramp reopens.

ddutil Jun 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Most Outrageous Stranding at DFW

I'm just trying to get a sense of how bad my situation is compared to the average stranding. I'm Platinum, on a paid FRA-DFW-BHM. D fare transatlantic with First on the domestic segment, used miles to upgrade to old first because the old business looked a little sketchy to me.

I had a 90 minute delay or so but arrived in DFW with plenty of time to connect. There are 4 nonstops per day from DFW-BHM plus, being a hub, you could go through MIA, CLT, whatever. I could fly to ATL and rent a car. Nothing is working. I arrived at 2 PM Sunday and I'm still here, earliest possible flight out is Tuesday at 10:30 AM. I've been moved to flights which then had rolling delays, multiple cancellations, gate changed 10 times in 2 hours, you name it. Currently booked in coach on the second flight out Tuesday. For reasons that should be obvious, I'm starting to think this a bad deal. I'm out $800 for two nights at the tired Hyatts (one night at each).

I guess my question is, if this is how Platinum customers on a paid first class ticket get treated, what do they do to the rest of the world?

wrp96 Jun 13, 2016 5:39 pm

The same as you. I just got home from DFW. The standby list for my small regional jet was a mile long, with many waiting since yesterday. And with the ramp shut down again this afternoon it didn't help.

arlflyer Jun 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by ddutil (Post 26774094)
if this is how Platinum customers on a paid first class ticket get treated, what do they do to the rest of the world?

If it's weather-related? The same thing.

jordyn Jun 13, 2016 6:10 pm

I had a 90 minute delay or so but arrived in DFW with plenty of time to connect.

I'm missing what happened next. Was your original DFW->BHM cancelled or did something else happen?

muishkin Jun 13, 2016 6:11 pm

I guess my question is, if this is how Platinum customers on a paid first class ticket get treated, what do they do to the rest of the world?

No need to think that you are special. ;) They do this to EXPs also.

ddutil Jun 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by muishkin (Post 26774196)
No need to think that you are special. ;) They do this to EXPs also.

Glad to hear it. Suffering alone is the worst.

ddutil Jun 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 26774191)
I'm missing what happened next. Was your original DFW->BHM cancelled or did something else happen?

Yes, original canceled, next one canceled and then it's been canceled about 7 times over 2 days. As far as I know it has never taken off, just rolling delays followed by cancellation. Surely they eventually let you go home from here.

Dave Noble Jun 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 26774175)
If it's weather-related? The same thing.

Not true. In Europe, regardless of reason for a delay, the airline is legally required to provide accommodation and meals - even AA will be required to accommodate for a delay ex EU and cannot just wipe its hands of passengers

In Australia, ime, with Qantas, it will provide hotels to impacted passengers unless they live at the affected city

In Asia, I have also received accommodation when delayed due to weather

rjw242 Jun 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 26774230)
Not true. In Europe, regardless of reason for a delay, the airline is required to provide accommodation and meals

Which is still "[t]he same thing" that non-elite and non-premium passengers get. ;)

Dave Noble Jun 13, 2016 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 26774236)
Which is still "[t]he same thing" that non-elite passengers get. ;)

Indeed - this is for ALL passengers regardless of status and/or pretty coloured cards - the response I was posting in relation to was indicative that it was global that airlines provide nothing when there is a weather related issue

UAPremierGuy Jun 13, 2016 6:31 pm

Hopefully you have a credit card that re-imburses you for these types of expenses!

arlflyer Jun 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 26774230)
Not true. In Europe, regardless of reason for a delay, the airline is legally required to provide accommodation and meals - even AA will be required to accommodate for a delay ex EU and cannot just wipe its hands of passengers

In Australia, ime, with Qantas, it will provide hotels to impacted passengers unless they live at the affected city

In Asia, I have also received accommodation when delayed due to weather

I'm pretty sure OP was asking how other people would be treated in the same situation, not halfway around the world where different regulations and/or corporate cultures are in play. OP made the thread pretty clearly specific to his experience in DFW through the inclusion of said airport in the thread title.

Dave Noble Jun 13, 2016 6:43 pm

I misread it as what do they do in the rest of the world

eponymous_coward Jun 13, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm out $800 for two nights at the tired Hyatts (one night at each).

The walkup fare for WN out of DAL is $358 ($371 as Business Select). I would have probably done that by Day 2 of this nonsense and then worked out the service failure on the last segment with AA after I was home. Surprised that you can't get a better distressed traveler rate, either.

Often1 Jun 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Well OP is on a ticket departing the EU, so he is covered by EC 261/2004. While the delay is weather-related and he thus not receive any compensation for that (EUR 600 otherwise), he is entitled to a "duty of care" from AA. If AA is not providing vouchers for his hotel and meals, OP should simply keep his receipts and submit them to AA for reimbursement after he does make it home. He will need to specify that this was as part of a departure from the EU.

As to the greater question of why he can't make it to BHM, that has nothing to do with AA or his status and everything to do with the weather. While it is a pain to be stranded, I am not sure what he wants AA to do about it. Once there are 200 people who have been stranded by weather, it is going to take a bit to get them home.

If OP is prepared to drive from ATL, why not simply ask to be rerouted to ATL and do that?

Mr. Vker Jun 13, 2016 8:18 pm

We flew in to DFW from SJD on Saturday. FORTUNATELY, we had an overnight connection to BWI. It was just the best price option at the time for F. Needed 6 seats. However, if we were connecting same day we would have been in big trouble. Ground stop was just over. I had not seen lines worse at DFW in customs or immigration. My wife and I have GE, but the our adult kids don't. We might still be there! I want to say thousands of people streaming in every direction.

iadisgreat Jun 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 26774520)
The walkup fare for WN out of DAL is $358 ($371 as Business Select). I would have probably done that by Day 2 of this nonsense and then worked out the service failure on the last segment with AA after I was home. Surprised that you can't get a better distressed traveler rate, either.

What's the service failure on the part of AA? Not flying planes in, what are apparently, dangerous storms?

24left Jun 13, 2016 8:31 pm

Not to diminish the awful experience by the OP, I flew in and out of DFW on Saturday and Sunday. It was a mess. The Saturday afternoon weather delayed flights and I was lucky to get out even 2 hours late.

My return flight to DFW was delayed as the inbound aircraft was caught in that mess.

Arrived back at DFW Sunday, where it seemed more than half of the pax on my flight had missed their connections. When we landed, the FA started reading off a long list of every connecting flight destination where pax were headed, which had already been rebooked by AA and the gate numbers, and which pax had to go and deal with rebooking. It was both impressive and nuts.

JDiver Jun 13, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm just trying to get a sense of how bad my situation is compared to the average stranding. I'm Platinum, on a paid FRA-DFW-BHM. D fare transatlantic with First on the domestic segment, used miles to upgrade to old first because the old business looked a little sketchy to me.

I had a 90 minute delay or so but arrived in DFW with plenty of time to connect. There are 4 nonstops per day from DFW-BHM plus, being a hub, you could go through MIA, CLT, whatever. I could fly to ATL and rent a car. Nothing is working. I arrived at 2 PM Sunday and I'm still here, earliest possible flight out is Tuesday at 10:30 AM. I've been moved to flights which then had rolling delays, multiple cancellations, gate changed 10 times in 2 hours, you name it. Currently booked in coach on the second flight out Tuesday. For reasons that should be obvious, I'm starting to think this a bad deal. I'm out $800 for two nights at the tired Hyatts (one night at each).

Yes, in Texas they hold the worst weather for Platinum customers who upgrade to First from Business. Nt to mention everyone ese, from CK to plain white card. And as the USA has no consumer protection (such as the much maligned EU), we're all pretty much stuck. I'm headed into it tomorrow, as it seems.

Or, you could join the hordes spending the night on cots and use the Admirals Clubs for showers.

Seriously, I get your angst, but thousands are affected by the horrendous weather. In particular, lightning freezes everything, because more than one ramper has been killed by lightning. (My friends in the area have been trying to cope with floods.)

There's not much you can do; DFW has been a horrid weather mess.

ddutil Jun 14, 2016 5:35 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 26774520)

I considered going to Love Field but wasn't sure it would help much. Is WN more likely to make it out because they are flying 737s rather than an RJ? I assume the decisions of which flights go out and which don't have many factors and that this may be one of them. I'd prefer not to drive to BHM, it's quite far, but at some point I really do need to get home.

wrp96 Jun 14, 2016 6:34 am

Originally Posted by ddutil (Post 26775944)
I considered going to Love Field but wasn't sure it would help much. Is WN more likely to make it out because they are flying 737s rather than an RJ? I assume the decisions of which flights go out and which don't have many factors and that this may be one of them. I'd prefer not to drive to BHM, it's quite far, but at some point I really do need to get home.

Well, storms approach DFW from the west, and if they are heading northeast or southeast (typical) vs due east (non-typical), then yes DFW can be screwed and DAL can be fine.

eponymous_coward Jun 14, 2016 11:05 am

Originally Posted by ddutil (Post 26775944)

WN wasn't cancelling their flights. There were some delays, but no cancels.

cmn.jcs Jun 14, 2016 11:16 am

Standby lists

Been a while since I had an IRROPS situation with AA. Was going MSY-DFW-BOS yesterday evening. MSY-DFW gets delayed to the point of a misconnect. There were ORD and DCA flights going out earlier that were Y0, so I asked the GAs about standing by. First one said that I couldn't do that until my booked flight was actually canceled, since I was trying to change the routing. Second one said that if I wanted to stand by, I'd lose my seat on my current flight, and probably be SOL if I didn't clear onto the standby flight. Were the GAs correct?

Fortunately, noticed that there was availability through MIA and got home with no delay (and got the upgrade MIA-BOS :D)

ThreeJulietTango Jun 14, 2016 2:14 pm

Schroedinger's agents: correct and incorrect at the same time

You can be rebooked (including standby) once it becomes evident that the original itinerary is no longer viable, in this case due to an imminent misconnect.

However, it becomes trickier in practice. Going standby via ORD or DCA and thus changing the routing would require a ticket reissue. It's possible to reissue the ticket for the new standby routing and keep the original confirmed segments in the record, but then the ticket would need to be reissued a second time if you didn't clear standby and wanted to try for the original confirmed flights again.

IWontRegretThis Jun 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Had a pretty bad time in DFW this weekend trying to get back to MSO.

Original Itin, AA DFW-SEA, ASA SEA-MSO (AA does not serve MSO)

DFW-SEA canceled sunday night, rebooked (still in F yay) 7am DFW-SEA for Monday morning. Rebooked to the morning ASA MSO flight (cost me only $200 fare diff, yay for not 75k change fees). 7AM flight delayed first due to aircraft needing 2 new tires (had been sitting overnight... no one noticed till we were literally at the aircraft door to board), then waiting over an hour to be catered... took off a little over 2 hours late. Had to rebook on a 3rd MSO flight, now going SEA-PDX-MSO lol. All in all got in about 16 hours later, thank goodness I have family to crash with in DFW.

plinth857 Jun 14, 2016 2:42 pm

This weekend at DFW

Interesting experience this weekend at DFW.

Arrival at airport at 5:45 PM.

Originally booked on AA1582 - DFW-->CLE, departing at 8:15, which was cancelled. After about 1/2 hour wait in line, friendly ticket counter agent booked me on DFW-->ORD (in business class, an upgrade from my coach seat!) departing at 7:30 (it was originally going to depart at 6:45 but had been delayed (it was currently 6:15-ish at this point) and then on the first flight from ORD to CLE. At the DFW gate, the plane (777-200) was there, but no pilots - they were stuck in Tulsa. Rolling delays continue until about 11:30, at which time we board the aircraft; pilots are en route to the gate. Stop if you've heard this before; at 12:15, we all deplane due to some or all of the crew timing out. Rescheduled for 8:30 AM tomorrow morning. By the time I had confirmed rebooking of my ORD-->CLE flight, it was about 1:45. Instead of getting a hotel, I just overnighted in the airport. No big deal.

We are all at the gate at 7:30 waiting, and by 8:00, the rolling delays begin again! (plane has been parked at the gate all night) This time, the flight attendants had not arrived. Flight attendants arrive by about 9:45, but we are still not getting on the plane. Gate agents say, "We are missing one flight attendant!" Finally, at 10:15, we board the aircraft. Before we can depart, we have another delay waiting for fuel! After all was said and done, we pulled out of the gate at 11:45. Crazy!

No delays getting out of the gate from ORD-->CLE but there was a long line of aircraft waiting to depart.

What a weekend!