Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
AA 73 & 72 LAX / Los Angeles <--> SYD / Sydney (as of 17 Dec 2015)
Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Including lounge, connections information

Initial schedule:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 AEDT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)
SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 AEDT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT
Inaugural flight AA73, operated by Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") N720AN:
2015-12-17 - AA73 - Los Angeles (LAX) STD 21:50 PST ATD 22:15 - Sydney (SYD) STA 07:55 AEDT ATA 07:30 AEDT

AA 73 Ar SYD 19 Dec 2015 - Seth Jaworski c/o Australian Aviation

From Source Aust BT
American Airlines will shift its Sydney-Los Angeles flights to a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner from November 8, 2017. The advanced jet replaces the larger Boeing 777-300ER and will see first class dropped from the trans-Pacific route, although business travellers on a budget will appreciate the introduction of American Airlines' new premium economy seating on the Boeing 787.

Link to Australian Aviation article

Older archived thread relating to announcement of new LAX-SYD-LAX flight (June 9, 2015) here.

Lounges: by oneworld status, or by class of service - and Admirals Club members flying out on AA (or an AA marketed flight) get to use the QANTAS Business Lounge.

Qantas First Lounge - spa, restaurant: First or oneworld Emerald passengers

Qantas Business Lounge: Business, oneworld Sapphire pax and Admirals Club members

On arrival
Link to Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport to FlyerTalk Oceania Forum SYD master thread with extensive wiki.

Connections:

International- no need to collect baggage if allowed by your airline(s), follow flight connections signs to immigration, flight connections desk. If you are not allowed to through check your bags you must process immigration, collect bags, process customs, proceed to the airline Check in areas and process security to get back airside.

Domestic: the domestic terminals 2 and 3 are 2.5 miles / 4 km away. Figure on a half hour at least to transfer, and if you use landside road transfers during high traffic times, longer (airside plan minimum half an hour). Talking about peak times, it can take two hours with queues waiting to board shuttle busses.

If traveling on via Qantas once you're landside after the Duty Free gantlet, follow the signs and go right. You'll eventually arrive at the baggage check facility, process security and take an airside shuttle that will end up with you're being at Gate 15 airside in the QF domestic terminal. It's called "Qantas seamless transfer".

If traveling with other airlines see Here

Link to SYD airport maps, etc.

Link to SYD airport FAQ.

If you wish to overnight close to international terminal 1, see here for a Rydges Sydney Airport stay report and tips.

Historical note: Pan American World Airways was the first American airline offering commercial passenger service to Australia, beginning Feb 1947 to SYD (with several stops), adding MEL in 1958. United acquired Pan Am's Pacific routes, operating them as of Feb 1986.

American Airlines initially operated to Sydney (and later also Melbourne between August 1970 through to March 1974. AA reestablished service with a DC-10 LAX-HNL-SYD return 4x weekly in Feb 1990, but ended that service March 1992.

Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

AA LAX-SYD-LAX AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:32 am
tt7

Originally Posted by marnold3
I believe (my memory is a little hazy on this) the PDB was served in a stemmed glass (not plastic). I had water and am unable to comment on the bubbly stuff.
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm glad they served a sparkler in proper stemware in F, but in J it was plastic and iirc not tasting like anything other than a sweetish bubbly plonk. (Once in the air, it was Charles Ellner Grande Réserve Brut Champagne, served in a stemless generic wine glass.)
Sounds inconclusive to me. We're flying LHR-DFW in F on a 77W next month so I'll be interested to see how it's served.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:57 am
tt7

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The staff on board are the same as on other routes and the items used will be the same - I am surprised that some would have expected AA to offer anything other than its normal service quality
AA is making a lot of noise about getting new planes, upgrading service etc.etc - plus it returns to flying to Oz for the first time in 20+ years. It's flying one of its new 777s which have been configured to have only 8 seats in F, compared with 16 on the existing 777 fleet. Clearly, one would expect the 77W F product to be designed to be a premium product that people are prepared to pay for - if it's not approached in that fashion, you might as well rip out out the F cabin and not bother.

You may be "surprised" that some would expect AA to make an effort to raise its game and deliver a truly first class experience but some of us continue to live in hope. If I was in any way associated or involved with designing/delivering the F service on a brand new long-haul route to Oz, I'd make damn sure that what was being delivered was top notch, and not simply the same old lacklustre product - and in addition to 'what' was being delivered, that would include the 'who' selection of the crew that were delivering it.

On this trip, we have flown/will be flying (long haul international) QF PE, AY J, AA F and QF J. When we get home, it will be interesting to reflect on how they compare. Clearly, you would expect AA F on one of its new planes with a small 8 seat cabin to be a clear winner. We shall see .....
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm holding my breath for SWU availability in mid-May! SWU dance!
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tt7
You may be "surprised" that some would expect AA to make an effort to raise its game and deliver a truly first class experience but some of us continue to live in hope. If I was in any way associated or involved with designing/delivering the F service on a brand new long-haul route to Oz, I'd make damn sure that what was being delivered was top notch, and not simply the same old lacklustre product - and in addition to 'what' was being delivered, that would include the 'who' selection of the crew that were delivering it.
AA doesn't afaik have a different method of crew selection for Sydney than for any other route and , ime, the cabin crew on AA are there primarily to read magazines.

I don't see how AA can improve its onboard service on a specific route but would require a systemic change
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
I'm sitting in the T4 AC at LAX after experiencing AA's J for the first time on AA72. My gifted SWU cleared (Y->J) at T-22 (as a PLT) and I think there might have been a seat or two empty in J when we left. I've got a few notes from my experience that I think might be worth sharing.

Check-in: At SYD, the check-in counter is B, which is the very left side of the terminal (I think the counters are A-H). So get dropped off on that side, or you're in for a walk from the other end. Many of the check-in agents were wearing QF colors, so I'm guessing for now they are borrowing QF staff. Either that, or the new uniforms weren't there yet. Check-in was going pretty slow, I'm assuming because they were training personnel on the system. My individual check-in was quick, but it looked like that wasn't the norm. F & J get "express" passes, which is basically the priority security lane.

Gate: I got caught up in work at the lounge, so I didn't get to the gate until about 40 min pre-departure. Anyone with a QF boarding pass was given a new AA one at the entrance to the gate area. Passengers were given the choice of bubbly (the same orange label stuff they stock in the AC), water, or OJ, and a cupcake. They also had a young lady dressed up as Santa's helper that was giving out gifts. There was a nice notebook and a strange scarf with mittens. The scarf was the same fleece as cheap Y blankets.

Flight: The service in J on this flight was excellent, at least IMO. But I'm not a DYKWIA type of traveler or anything close. I appreciate quick, attentive service, checking in when I'm awake and leaving me alone when it's dark and I'm trying to sleep. PDB was champagne (actual champagne, from France's Champagne region), as JDIVER mentioned. I can't comment on the quality of it though, and it was served in generic plastic wine stemware. Some sort of shaped white seat cover/pad accompanied the blanket, but I wouldn't call it a mattress pad by any stretch of the imagination. Pajamas were distributed as well. The beef filet wasn't the best I've ever had but it was sufficient. A second round was made for wine offerings, and dessert followed dinner pretty quickly. No offering of the sherry/port, as mentioned above, despite it being on the menu. The seat belt sign came on with some rough turbulence shortly after dinner and stayed on most of the flight after that.

Personnel: I've been taking QF back and forth between US and OZ for the past two years. I've done QF in Y and W, but not J, so it's a bit hard to compare. The QF crews can be overly friendly or self-absorbed sometimes, almost to the point of nose-up-in-the-air snobby. The AA crew I had on this flight was friendly, professional, and attentive. They weren't over-the-top polite like some of the Asian airline crews, but they weren't standoffish or reading magazines the whole flight (except perhaps in the middle when everyone was sleeping). During dinner, they would have fit in with an excellent wait staff in any semi high-end restaurant. I honestly wasn't expecting much, after flying AA to other destinations in Y and domestically in F. It was a very pleasant surprise. Perhaps I have a different expectation or perspective though, so I'll be interested to hear other's thoughts as well.

That's all I've got for now, maybe a bit more later.

Last edited by corncob; Dec 19, 2015 at 10:06 am
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tt7

We're flying LAX-MEL next month in QF J. We could have taken the LAX-SYD AA flight and then used SWUs to upgrade - obviously subject to availability but it's a RTW ticket that's changeable at will and we're time-rich these days (if cash-poor...) so probably not too impossible to find a day with upgrade space. We opted not to and to stick to QF J direct to MEL. From your description - and certainly from JDiver's comments - it sounds like we made the right call.
If you were thinking about using the SWU Y->J, you definitely made the right call. They aren't releasing any C availability until T-24 right now, from my experience. There are a few dates with A showing up though.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Sounds like a nice flight - but service appears same as the DFW-HKG flight.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Agree. It amazes me when individual passengers feel a sense of control over an airline's service levels. Collectively, yes. Individually, no. Otherwise smart people can be so naive.

With most US based international airlines the corporate goal is to provide average service at superior prices. Its calculated.
But given that AA actually publicly stated that they were going to upgrade their service standards, to match QF, which does not seem to have happened, this seems to be a service failure on the part of AA, given what they stated they would be doing.

Dave
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:08 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by hartlogan
If you were thinking about using the SWU Y->J, you definitely made the right call. They aren't releasing any C availability until T-24 right now, from my experience. There are a few dates with A showing up though.
Upgrade would be J -> F.

Flying to SYD instead of MEL is inconvenient for us but do-able if the flight experience is worth it. However, nothing I've read here suggests we made the wrong call in sticking with QF J to MEL rather than opting for AA F to SYD.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
JDiver...

Wow. Doesn't sound memorable at all. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't mattress pads suppose to be part of the changes to the J service lax syd?
That was bandied about, but I can't recall the source. We all received the standard packet of duvet and large pillow. I can sleep pretty comfortably in the 77W Business seat with or without a mattress pad. And ear plugs for the off-hours chatter, etc.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tt7
Upgrade would be J -> F.

Flying to SYD instead of MEL is inconvenient for us but do-able if the flight experience is worth it. However, nothing I've read here suggests we made the wrong call in sticking with QF J to MEL rather than opting for AA F to SYD.
IMO, this. I'd certainly not choose AA73 over a nonstop QF flight to MEL. I've taken USA-Aus perhaps twenty times and the worst Qantas service bested AA service 95% of the time, I'd estimate.

Even the SYD-PER transcon on a 738 had very decent soft product: very attentive FAs for the J cabin served us the entire 5.5 hour flight, plying us (or attempting to) with wines, a choice of five mains, dessert wines, coffee, tea, etc. up to 45 minutes out of PER. Not at all like an AA transcon, even on the 321T in terms of service.

Next week I'll compare by taking the transcon A332.

But don't waste your time flying AA73 to Sydney and add the International to Domestic terminal romp in addition if you have the QF nonstop to MEL available.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hartlogan
I'm sitting in the T4 AC at LAX after experiencing AA's J for the first time on AA72. My gifted SWU cleared (Y->J) at T-22 (as a PLT) and I think there might have been a seat or two empty in J when we left.
Awesome news, for those of us hoping to use an SWU in 2016 for Y ->J. Will certainly be wait listed. Just a matter of picking days with best odds.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Here's a video of the landing of inaugural flight 73 at SYD on 12/19/15. You can see the shadow of the plane in the video.

Old Dec 20, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EP
I saw the mention of mattress pads for J on View from the Wing -- the blog posting about the new food option on SYD. Wonder if you just didn't get it (a famous catering-type error lol) or if VFTW had some incorrect facts.

That was bandied about, but I can't recall the source. We all received the standard packet of duvet and large pillow. I can sleep pretty comfortably in the 77W Business seat with or without a mattress pad. And ear plugs for the off-hours chatter, etc.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K

But don't waste your time flying AA73 to Sydney and add the International to Domestic terminal romp in addition if you have the QF nonstop to MEL available.
I disagree. The Hard product is better than QF. On a 14-15 hour flight, the quality of your sleep and not being disturbed by someone trying to climb over you is important. I slept blissfully for 9 hours after the meal service ended.

Here's my quickie trip report, pictures will come when i get back to america with fast wifi or maybe the QF F lounge.

So the usual celebration at LAX. There was a photobooth, baby kangaroo, some strange lizards, an aussie DJ that started after the flight to LHR left. A local aussie bakery run by australians gave us samples of meat pies, croissants, and lamington. Overall meh but it was cool.

Shortly before boarding we had a speech from JC and the MD of Asia/Pacific about the significance of the route. Pretty sure i saw Hector Adler walking abouts too, but idk if he was on the flight or not.

Boarding, everyone got a big AA neck pillow and a keychain ornament, cool. Onboard, the standard PDB of OJ or champaigne or water. Once the flight took off, i hopped right onto the wifi which worked about 15 mins after takeoff. Meal service commenced, and overall the food did look like those pictures. That being said, the ice-cream was miscatered and was not the brownie chocolate, but a vanilla/caramel that you see on other routes. I had the beef and the lobster mac and cheese and it was good.

The bread was certainly a match to QF, as before you would just get a regular pretzel roll or dinner roll on AA but this time they were handing out loaves of bread like they do on QF. I enjoyed it. However after that, the FAs disappeared and we really didn't see much of them. Is that a negative compared to QF? certainly. But i'm not going to choose QF over AA for an inferior seat just for some friendlier flight attendants and the lack of international wifi. Then again take my opinion with a grain of salt as i have a personal stake in AA and i'm pretty biased. But everyone here will agree AA has the superior hard product, and the food service is nearly aligned. The only thing QF does better, and they do a lot better is the customer service, but meh i fly to travel somewhere comfortably, not chat up someone.

Upon landing we got the water cannon salute and a lot of the ground people outside were taking photos. Upon disembarkation (they used 2 jetbridges), there were Menzies people outside holding flagship signs, i think that people flying flagship first get 5 star treatment at SYD as well, not that it really matters. Americans can breeze thru immigration/customs with the express path card (for all J/F pax) and by using the smartgate. The 6-8am time is really crowded because that's when all the asia and america and some europe flights arrive so its basically a madhouse. Baggage took about 20 minutes to retrieve despite having priority tags (but then again i did arrive at LAX at 12pm so they probably just threw my bags in the back). Aussie customs is a breeze despite their strict quarantine.

However if people here decide they dont wanna fly AA, have fun with that. More SWU space for the rest of us. I think about ~10 people got upgraded to J because the J cabin was full, but there were still plenty of seats for sale as i checked it in the FL throughout the day. There were plenty of AA nonrevs as wel.

Last edited by Col Ronson; Dec 20, 2015 at 4:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.