Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight departing one year, arriving or returning next year - when will miles credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight departing one year, arriving or returning next year - when will miles credit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I agree with calling the EXP desk (if you are entitled) instead of desk/gate agents.

If you are at a lounge in the USA, the AAngels are very helpful; definitely talk to them. However, I don't have the similar impression of foreign lounges like LHR and would probably not bother there; I'd call the EXP desk as soon as I could.

In all such situations, be prepared for your luggage not to arrive with you if you have already checked it. If that would be unacceptable for whatever reason, stick it out and hope for the best.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Technically, rebooking wouldn't be initiated until the MCT was actually violated.

I second the suggestions to contact the EXP desk in the future. As zebranz stated, there is no obligation for airport agents to rebook from what is still a legal (if unlikely) connection, and it technically shouldn't be done without being processed as a voluntary change.

Originally Posted by 869
I think the 2 hour delay should have been cause to allow your requested change. Poor form on their part.
I want to say that it's actually a 60-minute delay that allows initiation of rebooking for elites, but I don't recall if that's a 60-minute departure delay or a 60-minute arrival delay. If the latter, then there was no obligation since the arrival time (at the time of the initial request) would have remained the same since the connection was still technically viable.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
No one suggested that AA has an obligation to rebook OP. If they show up on game day with a 105 minute delay at the outset, however, they should accommodate reasonable request for re-routing for the EXP OP. Of course, flyer's best move is to contact EXP desk when possible for this request. 2nd, reroutes on AA metal are more easily granted, of course, but I don't think this was an outrageous request.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:24 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Eh, I kind of understand why they declined to rebook you - even at the time of departure, there was plenty of time to make the connection.

Of course given the rampant delays, AA should be bending over backwards to accommodate its passengers, particularly its most loyal ones, before they become extinct.
You're kidding, right?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Originally Posted by mmgm
You're kidding, right?
I think poster meant it's not guaranteed, but should happen given the current situation (of AA driving away it's loyal members with its operations decline)

I second the AAngels or Exec deck. They've been able to help me during irregular ops when the ticketing or gate agents could not/declined
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
The only reason I didn't call the Ex Plat desk was because I had an irrational fear they would botch my ticket with less then 2 hours til takeoff, either it wouldn't issue properly or something else, and I'd have to go back to the same people who told me no and then have them fix a possible mistake.

In the end it worked out. But I was lucky - every other shown connection on the flight entertainment screen (San Jose, San Francisco, Fresno, and Las Vegas) had already departed by the time we got to the gate.

I don't travel internationally much so I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmgm
You're kidding, right?
About what?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's question was when it was "appropriate" to ask and the answer to that is that it can never hurt. But, the 2-hour scheduled connection was a sellable connection well over MCT and agents who do fee-free changes these days do get asked to justify their change fee waivers, especially, as here, where there is a carrier change to BA (yes, I understand that both are OW and that some routes are under a JV).

There is also a tendency to push these things off to the connection point as aircraft make up time enroute and connecting flights get delayed. In this situation, unless the LAX flight was overbooked and at risk of oversale, there is real revenue on the table.

On the other hand, this was a departure from the EU and EC 261/2004 delay/cancellation compensation would have applied. It would have been measured at OP's final ticketed destination, e.g. DEN. I have no idea what a misconnect at LAX would have meant, but if it had pushed the DEN arrival back sufficiently, that would have cost AA EUR 600.

I would try everything. Ask at the AC, call, and as a last resort at the gate. Don't bother if you have checked luggage as this was a connection from VIE and the chances that AA would manually pull luggage for a voluntary change at the gate were slim.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by ty97
Each individual leg of this itinerary that you fly will credit to the year in which the flight departs.

For example if I was flying LAX-JFK-BOS and the LAX-JFK leg was a redeye departure the evening of 12/31 (arriving the morning of 1/1 and connecting to BOS) then the LAX-JFK flight would credit to 2015 and the JFK-BOS leg would credit to 2016.
Are we confident this is still accurate for the upcoming new year? I'm planning to fly JFK-LHR depart 12-31-16 arrive 01-01-17 and I need the flight to get me over the line for EXP.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure that for as long as there have been frequent flier programs, miles have posted based on the time/date of departure, local time.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm pretty sure that for as long as there have been frequent flier programs, miles have posted based on the time/date of departure, local time.
Even if it isn't automatic, the AA elite desk is good at forcing these sorts of things through; the agents are highly empowered.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by driveswith
Are we confident this is still accurate for the upcoming new year? I'm planning to fly JFK-LHR depart 12-31-16 arrive 01-01-17 and I need the flight to get me over the line for EXP.
If your boarding pass is scanned and you board your flight on 31 Dec 2016 it will credit this year. (There generally is no way for the airline to prove your arrival, only your departure.)
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
If your boarding pass is scanned and you board your flight on 31 Dec 2016 it will credit this year...
I'd go further and say even if it's scanned after midnight (so Jan 1)-- due to delay or irrops, etc-- it will -still- post on the scheduled departure date regardless, and member is entitled to that even if reaccomodated in some way.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Thank you all for the prompt responses
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'd go further and say even if it's scanned after midnight (so Jan 1)-- due to delay or irrops, etc-- it will -still- post on the scheduled departure date regardless, and member is entitled to that even if reaccomodated in some way.
Thanks for adding that valuable information. And of course there's always the Original Routing Credit recourse if the reaccommodation offers fewer EQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.