Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best way to maximize travel ORD-Australia w/ AA (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to maximize travel ORD-Australia w/ AA (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: QF PS, AA
Have you considered Etihad? They seem to have Business class for about 5,300 usd from JFK to MEL if you can leave from there on 1st to 3rd December and as an AA partner you would be able to earn AA miles.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by leuraflyer
Have you considered Etihad? They seem to have Business class for about 5,300 usd from JFK to MEL if you can leave from there on 1st to 3rd December and as an AA partner you would be able to earn AA miles.
But not-- importantly-- elite-qualifying AA miles.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Is this thread any different to your other threads on the same topic?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-aa-metal.html (AA forum)...
definitely seems some consolidation is in order.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by JDiver
You can see the Cathay Pacific Premium Economy seat (photo above) DOES have leg and foot rests.

[CENTER]
Cathay Pacific Premium Economy
It only has leg rests in the front row of the cabin. The rest of the seats have a foot rest that drops from the seat in front and kind of sucks.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AA exp
Originally Posted by usafltg
No, I have 0 status 0 points on we. First time taking either QF or CX. Only EXP on AA.

Is there anything I can do with the confirmed business on Cathay ORD-HKG? As far as flights go the PVG-ORD and DFW-HKG have a good chance of upgrading as it stands. Everything else kinda sucks though.

Not exactly sure why I should scrap the itinerary and start over but willing to do so if I can find something better. Premium economy is basically the same as economy. Same seats and maybe some more leg room, which I could care less about. I need to sleep. I have short legs and unless my legs are being elevated via a foot rest or something, the leg room doesn't do much for me.
Be careful assuming the DFW routes to HKG, PEK, or PVG are open. I have travelled these routes several times this year and business almost always fills up even if it looks empty several days prior to departure. IF the SWU clears it usually will be T-24 if not closer.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
OP, if you are an EXP flying on a OW airline its the same as flying on AA. Same types of bennies. What are you expecting, CX or QF to see EMERALD printed on your BP and throw you in the cargo hold. E+ is not the same as MCE on AA-its a whole different class of service as J Diver has shown. You are making this much more difficult on yourself than it needs to be.

A few years back flying in Y on QF as an EMERALD the purser came up to me to thank me for my business and request that I call upon him if I should need anything. Even got an expedited card to get me through customs at SYD quicker. A few years before that on an empty JFK/LAX/SYD flight on New Years Eve the GA moved me from Y to Y+. Can't get any better than that.
Thanks for all the advice! I'm now re-booked in a W Class (Premium Econonmy Seat) on Qantas. Basically my itinerary is now as follow:

Dec 4th - ORD-LAX (AA)
Dec 4th - LAX-MEL (QF) - Premium Economy
Dec 10th - MEL-LAX (QF) - Premium Economy
Dec 10th - LAX-ORD (AA)

This was a much "friendlier" option on the ol' company pocket book ($4500 vs $7500 and confirmed Prem. Econ)

Would be nice if I got an extra "bump" up to ol' Business, but lol, completely not expecting that as I have absolutely 0 points with QF nor have I ever flown them before.

Question though, what's the boarding priority for me? I was trying to google / find this on Qantas site, and all I could find was it just stating "I get Prioirty boarding." As an Emerald, am I supposed to line up with the First Class folks? Business? A separate line altogether?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
It only has leg rests in the front row of the cabin. The rest of the seats have a foot rest that drops from the seat in front and kind of sucks.
Is QF the same? or do all of them recline and the Footrests go up like that?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the advice! I'm now re-booked in a W Class (Premium Economy Seat) on Qantas.
<snip>
Question though, what's the boarding priority for me? I was trying to google / find this on Qantas site, and all I could find was it just stating "I get Priority boarding." As an Emerald, am I supposed to line up with the First Class folks? Business? A separate line altogether?
OK:- Good you are now on QF Premium Economy. A simple solution and reasonable seat (for the companies money) compared to economy/coach.

With QF long haul priority boarding means you can stay in the lounge longer.
Many people in the USA assume boarding non USA airlines is like in USA with a scramble for over head space. This will not be case with QF PE.

Note that with QF (and many to most non USA airlines) have lower carry on limits (size & weight) compared to common practise on USA airlines

Enjoy the trip & Melbourne.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 27, 2015 at 8:06 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: QFF
Question though, what's the boarding priority for me? I was trying to google / find this on Qantas site, and all I could find was it just stating "I get Prioirty boarding." As an Emerald, am I supposed to line up with the First Class folks? Business? A separate line altogether?
As an AA EXP, you have access to the QF F lounges in both LAX and MEL. Simply stay in the lounge until they announce the flight is boarding. By the time you get to the gate, you'll be able to walk right on via the priority line.

If possible, select a window seat for QF93 and QF94. PE is on the upper deck of the A380. The window seats on the upper deck have side storage bins between the seat and the window. Not big enough for bags, but more then enough for travel docs, shoes, tablet, phone, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Great info in this thread.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Enjoy your trip usafltg. MEL should be a sunny 25-27 degrees C on the day you arrive but be aware that in December MEL weather can have maximum temperatures anywhere between 18-40 degrees.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Just a report back on this trip. The Qantas First Class lounges were amazing. Best part of the whole trip! The Premium economy seats, although QUITE an upgrade over economy, I actually found a bit "less than" desirable. IMO these are equivalent to AA First Class Domestic Seats (could find no difference in pitch) with a leg rest. The leg rests themselves I felt did not extend far enough to provide real usefulness. There is a footrest attached to the bottom of the legrest that is adjustable, but even with that.... I constantly found my legs / feet sore from usage. Sleeping was difficult, although again... quite an upgrade over regular old economy, I found it lacking comfort. Every hour I would wake. The one "biggest" thing I was really trying to ensure was that I was able to get plenty of sleep. Other than waking every hour from being sore, or my legs / feet / arms being numb... I was able to sleep, but it was less than desirable.

The seats themselves, I agree that the best seat in the house is the bulkhead Window in premium economy. You have an extra "very useful" storage compartment for just about everything, and since there's nothing in front of you, unlimited leg room plus basically an aisle seat since you can just get up and go.

The food - Less than desirable. Breakfast was decent, but both flights dinners were mediocre at best. The snacks they tell you you have access to were also not all that great. One of my flights on the way back, I held off on my dinner, but later when I awoke I asked for it and they said it was too late and they had already given it away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.