Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's happening to my EXP complimentary domestic upgrades??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold

Last 3 flights into ORD have not been upgraded as an EXP. Others have been upgraded but not me. Don't understand. 2 of flights were booked months in advance so can't imagine everyone else had requested upgrades earlier.
Could it be fare basis? Thought that wasn't criteria anymore?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by anandrag
Last 3 flights into ORD have not been upgraded as an EXP. Others have been upgraded but not me. Don't understand. 2 of flights were booked months in advance so can't imagine everyone else had requested upgrades earlier.
Could it be fare basis? Thought that wasn't criteria anymore?
1. More people buying F. F fares are low relative to Y fares.

2. It's the time of year when people start using their award miles. I've requalified, so I don't need to spend money to earn status. I can use the miles I've accumulated, so I do - either for F awards, or for miles-based upgrades to F.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by BSBD
1. More people buying F. F fares are low relative to Y fares.

2. It's the time of year when people start using their award miles. I've requalified, so I don't need to spend money to earn status. I can use the miles I've accumulated, so I do - either for F awards, or for miles-based upgrades to F.
3. People burning SWUs that they don't expect to use otherwise.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Question

Originally Posted by rjw242
Unlikely people using that for ORD-LGA sector. Also, understand that instrument (SWU vs sticker) didn't matter and it was time of request.

In terms of people buying F, I see other people getting upgraded so that's not whole answer
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:57 am

Unlikely people using that for ORD-LGA sector. Also, understand that instrument (SWU vs sticker) didn't matter and it was time of request.
SWUs trump all sticker or complimentary EXP upgrades.

They're also good for up to 3 segments. So perhaps nobody's using them on ORD-LGA, but plenty of people might be using them on LAX-ORD-LGA, DEN-ORD-LGA, ...
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

SWUs trump all sticker or complimentary EXP upgrades.

They're also good for up to 3 segments. So perhaps nobody's using them on ORD-LGA, but plenty of people might be using them on LAX-ORD-LGA, DEN-ORD-LGA, ...
Maybe on multi sector journey.
Thought wiki said instrument doesn't matter anymore in new AA structure
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:01 pm

Maybe on multi sector journey.
Thought wiki said instrument doesn't matter anymore in new AA structure
SWUs and miles/copay upgrades are equivalent in principle. But a non-status member upgrading with miles/copay will beat an EXP trying for a complimentary upgrade.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
That's what I'm wondering. Just made EXP on Tuesday and my flights today did not get upgraded.

ETA: I'm EXP on flight today and number 15 on upgrade list!

Seriously, why bother!

Last edited by badjuju; Nov 19, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
4. Late in the year, more EXPs around the later you get in the year, theoretically speaking.

OP, don't discount the number of people booking flights months in advance.

Upgrades are highly YMMV. I cleared sticker upgrades on 2 of my 3 eligible flights this week (DEN-DFW, IAH-PHX) and think I would have cleared the 3rd but for a ticketing snafu that caused the request to be dropped.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

I'm just annoyed that 4-5 others seem to get upgrade and I'm left as number 1 or 2 on list. As EXP didn't expect would miss that many upgrades on short sectors like ORD-LGA and vice versa
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Could be....

I was at DFW yesterday and saw people on the bottom of the waitlist get upgraded over people at the top. Not sure if that was because they volunteered to pay or use an upgrade instrument. Didn't have the presence of mind to ask. As for me, I've been paying for F this year. Versus years past its quite reasonable cost wise. That way I"m guaranteed a seat in the front. Also, been very lucky, I've flown the 788 the last few trips. Very nice plane. F is very very very cramped. I would not be happy on that flight to Shanghai. But for a domestic run, great plane.
So in sum, I think people paying is one way complimentary upgrades are not as frequent. I think time of year and people burning thru SWU's as well.

May OP have better luck next time or pick routings where the likelihood of upgrades is higher.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by badjuju
That's what I'm wondering. Just made EXP on Tuesday and my flights today did not get upgraded.
Very likely there were CKs and other EXPs ahead of you.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I'm just annoyed that 4-5 others seem to get upgrade and I'm left as number 1 or 2 on list. As EXP didn't expect would miss that many upgrades on short sectors like ORD-LGA and vice versa
You do realize this is both an elite and business heavy route, lots of EXPs and CKs on these flights regularly, many on high fares too.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I think we are in one of the most unique "perfect storm" settings for upgrades that we have seen in years.

Yup, more people buying first
Yup, people burning SWU
Yup, end of year with newly minted EXPs

and lastly, thousands of USAir elites also joining into the system.

If you combine those factors with the airports mentioned - DFW, LGA, and others of that ilk (AA elite centers), it is not unusual to see the upgrade list well into the thirties.

I recently had a case where I bought the ticket 8 weeks out (BDL DFW) and I was fourth on the upgrade list.

Annoying for now, but this too shall pass.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by badjuju
Your new status might not have been reflected in the reservation. Often you have to call AA and have them manually "refresh" your existing reservations for the new status to "take."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.