Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Rover75
But I was going to take a shot at EXP in 2016— I had already booked over 30,000 EQMs in travel for 2016 (2/3 in discounted coach on BA) when the news hit. Under the new rules my BA ticket EQMs will be worth a small fraction of what they would have been worth under the rules in effect when the ticket was issued. For me, one of the most painful changes has been the loss of 100% EQM credit for discounted BA flights.
This is the way in which AA's changes, particularly the short notice, are very much . Personally, I would write a concise letter to AA saying that this change is affecting your bookings on a joint venture partner after you made them and request 100% EQMs for the BA flights you ticketed before the announcement.

I doubt AA will accede to the request, but it would be entirely reasonable in my view. At the very least, it's worth making the inarguably-justified complaint.

That said, you're losing out on ≈10,000 EQMs on the already-booked flights (2/3 of 30k is 20k, and 20k BIS miles on BA will now earn 10k EQMs). It sucks, but not the end of the world. And if BA offers paid upgrades to W, my experience this year was that they credited at the 1.5 EQP rate; I assume the same will be true for EQMs in 2015. In the future, can you book those BA flights with AA codes? Most trans-Atlantic BA flights can be booked with the AA code for the same price.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Well, this response may very well be different, as
1) this was very likely due to actions BA wanted AA to take
2) this may affect routes that are not joint venture routes i.e. suppose OP has booked 2x LONHKG v.v.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by brp
And, as EXP, say we fly 100K miles each per year. At $11/mile, we should get about 110K miles each per year. That's about half what we had gotten, but still more than we typically use. We fly mostly AA flight numbers, even on partners, so I think those numbers are correct.
You get 11 miles per dollar spent, not $11/mile. I'm not sure I understand the calculation.

You would get 110K miles if you spent $10K before taxes on AA tickets. I assume that's what you meant to say.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
One of the things that confuses me is what will happen to the elite bonus and the minimum mileage guarantee on partner airlines in 2016.

I'm not sure whether this reference on the AA website means that it will go away on all flights from all airlines, or just AA marketed flights?

Will the 500-mile minimum for elite members on all flights and for non-elite status members on shuttle flights for award miles continue to apply under this new methodology?

No, the 500-mile minimum for elite members on all eligible flights and for non-elite members on shuttle flights will be removed when the changes to award miles are implemented in second half of 2016.
If the minimum mileage guarantee goes away on partner airlines, this represents a significant reduction in value for partner airlines.

Also, is the 30%/60%/120% RDM bonuses going to be applied to partner airline crediting too?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn
You get 11 miles per dollar spent, not $11/mile. I'm not sure I understand the calculation.

You would get 110K miles if you spent $10K before taxes on AA tickets. I assume that's what you meant to say.
Yeah, that is what I meant to say, and we spend around $9K - $10K, so my final number was correct (which is all that really matters in the end )

Thanks for the catch.

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc
My rant to AA Customer Service.......

"I recently read the email about what's new for the AAdvantage program. I don't think I've ever written to an airline to complain, but but feel compelled about the direction of things. Have to say I'm disappointed with the "benefits" and direction of the program. The second sentence of your email reads "We're evolving to build a rewarding program for all members while giving our best customers access to our most exclusive benefits."

After reading about the changes, it's all spin and I only see less rewards. I am a legacy US Air flier and have been less than thrilled about the move from US to AA. The upgrades are much worse.... Let's be honest, that's why status matters. To get the upgrade. I flew up front on US on most flights (as Gold or Plat). On AA, it's 50% if not lower. Notification about upgrades frankly sucks compared to US... I used to get email updates about upgrades days in advance. Most of the time, nothing from AA. Most of the time, if an upgrade happens it happens at the gate 10 minutes before boarding. That never, never happened on US.

One thing I was looking forward to with American was the Systemwide upgrades that were offered because US did not have those. Well, now your "more rewarding" program only gives out 4 per year instead of 8. That is not more rewarding... especially for Exec Plat fliers. AA will have some spin about this, but it really is frustrating.

And I'm sure I'm not the only loyal flier that is upset. I go out of my way to fly AA. I avoid cheaper, direct flights on Delta, Southwest and United to fly AA and hope for an upgrade and keep my status. I have left for Europe a day earlier to get a lower fare that is cheaper than United on flights to Frankfurt, otherwise I am forced to fly United by my company. That is time away from my family so I can fly my "preferred" airline. I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth it based on these "rewarding" changes to the program....

Rant over......"
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Rover75
AA has lost most of my business going forward.

I retired young and I love to travel. AA (together with TWA until they sold their LHR operations to AA) was my primary airline of choice for the past 35 years. I have well over 3 million lifetime miles on AA. I earned EXP most recently in both 2013 and 2014 by spending $10,000 to $12,000 a year on air travel: all for leisure, almost all in discounted coach. Roughly 25% of my revenue travel in each year was not on AA but on a oneworld partner airlines where I could earn 100% EQMs, primarily BA.

I won’t earn EXP this year because (thank goodness) I made a decision to use 2015 to spend down the miles I accumulated over the prior two years. But I was going to take a shot at EXP in 2016— I had already booked over 30,000 EQMs in travel for 2016 (2/3 in discounted coach on BA) when the news hit. Under the new rules my BA ticket EQMs will be worth a small fraction of what they would have been worth under the rules in effect when the ticket was issued. For me, one of the most painful changes has been the loss of 100% EQM credit for discounted BA flights.

I earned life platinum status at least 15 years ago. The double miles that accompanied that status had been a major factor in my sustained loyalty to AA. That is now gone. Indeed, the bonus for platinum status is reduced more than for any other status category.

Even when I was working full time, I was always an aspirational flyer: by which I mean, I would put up with crummy domestic itineraries to earn international business and first class travel. I have never used miles for a domestic coach award and almost never internationally. The only reason I have suffered the steady decline in the quality of coach travel was that aspirational expectation for upgrades on long flights.

No more.

I am based in Boston which was once an AA hub. But excepting the seasonal summer service to CDG, we’ve lost the nonstops which I used to fly regularly, nonstops to: SJU, SAN, SJC, SFO, SEA, LHR, MAN, DUB. So over the past few years I have spent hundreds of hours at JFK in order to fly AA to their European destinations (and to take their domestic transcon services). This was worth it when I was earning lots of miles and had access to SWU’s for upgrades on AA metal traveling internationally. Under the new rules: no way.

I am lucky: My flying is 95% discretionary. I realize most folks aren’t in that situation. Part of what this means is that I am simply going to scale my flying way back since the effective cost structure (after giving effect to the changes in earning and redeeming AA miles) just makes it a very expensive (and hence inefficient) use of my travel dollar.

I dumped my AAdvantage Credit Card a few months ago after I realized that I was no longer getting my best value by accumulating additional AA miles. I now carry two hotel branded cards (Hilton and Hyatt) plus a Chase Sapphire. (It’s this last credit card which is my travel workhorse and which I’ve combined with a Chase Freedom card to maximize my earning of Ultimate Rewards points.)

In summary, my plans going forward are as follows:

(1) To reduce my air travel to two to three trips a year at most (one or two to Europe and one domestic);
(2) To fly AA domestically (UNLESS an alternative carrier has a price competitive nonstop versus an AA connecting flight);
(3) To fly price competitive nonstops to Europe (where-ever possible) and to avoid LHR (when-ever possible). (Excepting a possible summer trip to CDG, this means no flights on AA or BA metal out of BOS.)

I anticipate using EI for travel to the British Isles (and some of western Europe) and hope that their rumored return to oneworld actually happens. (If it does my life platinum status on AA— assuming it endures— may give me some seat selection advantages.) But Dublin— with its US customs pre-clearance— is infinitely better for connections than the out of control shopping mall called LHR. I also expect to fly LH and LX and FI, all of whom have one of more nonstops from BOS to their European hub(s).

Gone will be the opportunistic trips to Europe or the Caribbean where I would take off for three or four days because I saw a fantastic fare on AA and grabbed it. Gone will be the willingness to suffer horrible connections (either because they were too short or too long) at airports like DFW and LHR because I knew I was earning a solid amount of miles. Gone will be the mileage runs to faraway places I never would have otherwise visited because the value was too good not to go.

I have had a great time flying around the world. But only because of the upgrades and awards that I knew I was earning and often using. Now that they will be substantially diminished, I am retiring from active flying. But it was great while it lasted.
Customers like you who grab cheap MR flights and side trips are exactly the ones that AA and the other airlines want to fire. It looks like you will both be happy with the new arrangement. What you did in the past has no bearing on the ability of AA to run their business in 2016 and beyond.

Its not personal, and it never was. Its just business.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ronniefastback
...One thing I was looking forward to with American was the Systemwide upgrades that were offered because US did not have those. ...
FWIW - USAIR did have SWU. Hard to remember now what i got, but I think it was 2 upgrades a year for up to 2 passengers each time.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
FWIW - USAIR did have SWU. Hard to remember now what i got, but I think it was 2 upgrades a year for up to 2 passengers each time.
They weren't true SWUs. You got 2+2, and were only permitted to use them on international flights or to Hawaii. Couldn't even confirm upgrade space on a domestic flight ahead of time with them.

If you weren't leaving the country or going to Hawaii, it was a useless benefit. Also useless if you didn't have a companion traveling with you - you couldn't "save" those other 2. I don't think I ever used my CP certs. My international travel at the time was TPAC, and they didn't go there. And you couldn't use them on UA, so ...
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by Superguy
They weren't true SWUs. You got 2+2, and were only permitted to use them on international flights or to Hawaii. Couldn't even confirm upgrade space on a domestic flight ahead of time with them.

If you weren't leaving the country or going to Hawaii, it was a useless benefit. Also useless if you didn't have a companion traveling with you - you couldn't "save" those other 2. I don't think I ever used my CP certs. My international travel at the time was TPAC, and they didn't go there. And you couldn't use them on UA, so ...
Agreed Superguy... All the years I was CP, don't think I ever used them either.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:52 am

Got a reply from AA..... quick reply... but useless.....

As one of our valued AAdvantage® customers, you are well qualified to judge the changes to our program.
I'm sorry for your disappointment with the changes coming in the number of systemwide upgrades in our new AAdvantage program. In addition, we regret the difficulty you have encountered securing upgrades on flights. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your comments to our AAdvantage team for internal review. While I cannot guarantee a change in our upcoming policy changes, your comments matter to us and are always appreciated.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Got a reply from AA..... quick reply... but useless.....

<snip>
What exactly were you expecting?

Do you think they didn't anticipate that many folks will be unhappy with these changes?

Regards
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My rant to AA Customer Service.......

After reading about the changes, it's all spin and I only see less rewards. I am a legacy US Air flier and have been less than thrilled about the move from US to AA. The upgrades are much worse.... Let's be honest, that's why status matters. To get the upgrade. I flew up front on US on most flights (as Gold or Plat). On AA, it's 50% if not lower. Notification about upgrades frankly sucks compared to US... I used to get email updates about upgrades days in advance. Most of the time, nothing from AA. Most of the time, if an upgrade happens it happens at the gate 10 minutes before boarding. That never, never happened on US.
Not sure if you are aware of AA's sticker system for Gold's and Plat's on flights over 500 miles. Much of the discrepancy in upgrades could be explained by that.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by beardoc
One of the things that confuses me is what will happen to the elite bonus and the minimum mileage guarantee on partner airlines in 2016.
I don't think we know yet what will happen to the minimum mileage or the elite bonus for redeemable miles on partner-coded flights.

Originally Posted by beardoc
Also, is the 30%/60%/120% RDM bonuses going to be applied to partner airline crediting too?
I'm not sure what you're asking, since there really isn't going to be a "30%/60%/120% RDM bonus." What there will be is a redeemable miles per dollar earning rate for AA coded flights. We know that partner-coded flights will earn redeemable miles based on flight miles and a multiplier based on the fare code. We know the multipliers for partners, those are published. We don't know if there will be elite status bonuses or minimum mileage.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
What exactly were you expecting?

Do you think they didn't anticipate that many folks will be unhappy with these changes?

Regards
I was expecting them to completely change the program to fit my needs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.