Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My plans for dealing with the 2016 AAdvantage changes:
I'm actually benefitting from this - good deal for me.
6.80%
I'm neutral - I gain some, lose some. I'll stay.
19.53%
I'm not happy, but stuck with AA / oneworld at this point.
26.04%
I'm unhappy & will use AA & other airlines opportunistically.
40.53%
I'm outta here! Bye, American.
7.10%
Voters: 676. You may not vote on this poll

AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by bse118
I dunno, based on this thread (*this thread, not FT in general) I would say that this audience is predominantly skewed towards those the value RDMs over all other elements of the program. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But hardly a representative or meaningful sample.
I think this audience is likely to complain about the place where they've been hurt the most. If the changes had left RDMs intact, but cut EQMs in half for cheap fares (a la BA) and put a spend limit of 12k to hit EXP, I'm going to bet that's what people would be complaining about

Originally Posted by mnscout
I can't even pretend to understand anyone who's happy with the AA changes in the poll. Even if you're a high roller, whatever you think you'll "win" in earnings, you are likely to lose in redemptions.
Some of the redemption changes are indeed harsh. And they weren't floated earlier. I think the people who are "happy", are happy because of the "it could have been worse" syndrome (personally not sure how much worse it could have been, since they took a LOT away from the redemption side of the house) and because of course they will be the least impacted.

No one with any sanity about them felt the changes were going to be net neutral. If you're coming out not completely trashed by this whole thing, as someone who makes plat flying LAX-DFW on cheap fares has been trashed, you're probably thinking you did well.

Originally Posted by Resident
A perspective from the margin of AA status.

I fly 20-30k miles per year all in deep discount economy for pleasure and a little work (not counting 1-2 award tickets per year). ~1-2 trips internationally, the rest domestic. ~400k LT miles in the MM program (~500k overall AA LT miles).

I've made GLD the last 2 years but will lose it as of 3/1/16 (and probably get it back mid-2016). I truly appreciate the GLD benefits for the airport/flying experience: better seats; priority boarding; the occasional domestic upgrade; the very rare checked bag. I find it makes a big difference.

From my standpoint on the margin:

- Elite status (airport/flying experience) has not changed too much: I will accumulate EQM at the same rate (I never purchase J or F) and get largely the same GLD benefits, with slightly longer wait for 500mi stickers.

- RDM, on the other hand, have taken a major hit: Accumulate at a much, much slower rate with my only deep discount economy tickets. On average, more "expensive" award tickets.

So, conclusions: I'll probably still aim to achieve GLD if within reach, but I am kind of writing off the RDM side; any accumulation I get in passing that is enough for an award or miles/co-pay upgrade is a bonus, but it will not be a focus of mine in any way.

And if 2017 brings the minimum spend for status, I'm toast.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that this is the trick AA is counting on. There's enough in being Gold for someone who flies every now and then that it might be enough to retain you as a reasonably regular, 2k a year customer even with negligible RDMs (you'd earn 14k RDMs, which is peanuts indeed).
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Resident
Thoughts?
On what? You've pretty well laid it out. This thread is at over 600+ posts, the other semi-related thread is at about ~300 posts. There is almost no scenario that has not been analyzed to death at this point.

The playing field has been established, make your next moves as you best see fit for your personal situation.

Regards
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
One thing that I've noticed just through my own behavior... I've started looking for cheaper F fares instead of only looking for cheap Y fares to take advantage of the multipliers, especially early in the year. Since I have a Trip in April that is about 21,000 BIS in J ( on AY so Only 1.5), That one trip puts me over half way to PLT and over a quarter of the way to EXP. Last night I was looking at some "multi-city" trips in F. One I found netted my about 15,000 EQM for about $1,000. So basically I can make a trip in all domestic F and get the same about of EQM as a Europe trip in Y would have been prior to the changes. For me that's a benefit as I would rather fly domestic F than intl. Y... I'm anxious to see what my fellow FTers begin to come up with!!

Long story short... My own personal metric has change from "CPM" to "CPEQM"....

Also, if they start imposing "minimum spend" requirements for elite status... I'll probably jump ship... So please AA don't do that!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JonNYC
apologies if this was already posted:
When asked if customer feedback influenced decision making in the recreation of the program, Ms. Rubin had a very Sunday morning talk show answer. She did not answer the question directly and went to the other why we changed aspects.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:38 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Isn't that "mutually exclusive"?
Yes - as I get more upset at what I read, the more typos that result....
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Other than a few pie in the sky FTs most expected the AAdvantage program to take a hit; the conventional wisdom being in the form of earning status. However, EQMs have remained unaffected. If you get EXP status by flying 100K miles of cheap fares that will not change. You will get only 4 SWUs and less RDMs. HVFs will earn status faster, earn more RDMs, and potentially more SWUs. Now it could be argued that HVFs have less value in SWUs (if they are already flying paid premium long haul) and maybe less RDMs. However on whole, the changes were far less draconian than originally expected.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by george 3
When asked if customer feedback influenced decision making in the recreation of the program, Ms. Rubin had a very Sunday morning talk show answer. She did not answer the question directly and went to the other why we changed aspects.

I actually appreciate that she did not try to claim that "customers asked for these changes" like BA always seems to suggest when they roll out one of their "product enhancements."
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Other than a few pie in the sky FTs most expected the AAdvantage program to take a hit; the conventional wisdom being in the form of earning status. However, EQMs have remained unaffected. If you get EXP status by flying 100K miles of cheap fares that will not change. You will get only 4 SWUs and less RDMs. HVFs will earn status faster, earn more RDMs, and potentially more SWUs. Now it could be argued that HVFs have less value in SWUs (if they are already flying paid premium long haul) and maybe less RDMs. However on whole, the changes were far less draconian than originally expected.

Down 50% on SWU's strikes me as pretty draconian... and I'm someone who qualified on EQP's, but with a lot of OW partner flying - meaning that I will still be stuck at 4 unless I play around with codeshares on every itinerary.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
One thing that I've noticed just through my own behavior... I've started looking for cheaper F fares instead of only looking for cheap Y fares to take advantage of the multipliers, especially early in the year. Since I have a Trip in April that is about 21,000 BIS in J ( on AY so Only 1.5), That one trip puts me over half way to PLT and over a quarter of the way to EXP. Last night I was looking at some "multi-city" trips in F. One I found netted my about 15,000 EQM for about $1,000. So basically I can make a trip in all domestic F and get the same about of EQM as a Europe trip in Y would have been prior to the changes. For me that's a benefit as I would rather fly domestic F than intl. Y... I'm anxious to see what my fellow FTers begin to come up with!!

Long story short... My own personal metric has change from "CPM" to "CPEQM"....

Also, if they start imposing "minimum spend" requirements for elite status... I'll probably jump ship... So please AA don't do that!
I'm in the same boat. I'm kind of hoping a thread pops up about getting EXP for the most cost efficient manner for next year, as I learn to keep adding acronyms to my ever expanding flying glossary.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I would say that EQMs-- the way to attain elite stautus-- has been enhanced. Currently, flying on an intlernational premium economy (or even a J or F ticket) ticket earns 100% EQMs and 150% EQPs. While flying on a G or Q domestic ticket earns 100% EQMs but only 50% EQPs. HOWEVER, after the change, a premium economy ticket (as well as the J and F) earns 150% EQMs. So when one does that kind of mixed flying, an elite status level will be achieved sooner.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:22 pm

The Points Guy is saying there are two AAward charts depending if your flying AA metal or not? Or are codeshares "AA metal"

"apply to flights from the United States operated by American Airlines"

" award chart for flights on AA’s partners, such as Cathay Pacific and Etihad."

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/aa-2...ntage-program/

Where is this second AAward chart. I don't see it at AA.com:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...-chart2016.jsp

I do see the 37,500 to Asia 2, but not the 35,000.

OK. So, if you fly AA metal to HKG, you at 35,000 AAmiles, but CX will cost you 37,500.

What if you fly AA to HKG, and CX to DAD? DAD is in Asia 2.

Last edited by zznoname; Nov 22, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are indeed 2 award charts both now and for next year

At http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...antage2016.jsp

there are 2 links

Changes to American award charts
Changes to other airline award charts
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:37 pm

However on whole, the changes were far less draconian than originally expected.
Just have to say... how can total annihilation, kaput, it's over, a shadow of it's former self, be in anyway described as less draconian?

Yes, the program is still there. Yes, some people will get some stuff, but the program, as it was known, does not exist. That's about as draconian as you can get.

Just saying.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are indeed 2 award charts both now and for next year

At http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...antage2016.jsp

there are 2 links

Changes to American award charts
Changes to other airline award charts
Thanks.

This is new correct? Something I missed. We used to have one AAward chart no matter which carrier we flew, and now the redemption amount depends on which carrier your flying, regardless if it's a codeshare?

OK. Two charts.

But still... What if you fly AA to HKG, and CX to DAD? DAD is in Asia 2.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by zznoname; Nov 22, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Email I just sent to AAdvantage:

"Wow, AAdvantage, from first to worst in 2016. So now you have a frequent flyer program that mirrors Delta and United but your operational efficiency is at the bottom, it routinely takes 45 minutes to an hour to receive bags (with no guarantee), your premium cabin food has been downgraded, your US Airways planes have no power, no AVOD, no MCE etc, etc.

"Tell me: why on God's green earth should I choose to fly with you? Understand that, based on increased mileage requirements for awards and massively decreased mileage earning, I will be looking very hard at switching carriers and will strongly encourage friends and business partners to book away from AA. After all, if AAdvantage is the same as all the others, then we might as well book with the much better airline - which, for the past several years, has been Delta."

Forgot to mention that, with a greater number of partners, availability is generally better when redeeming on UA and DL. Very dumb move by AAdvantage - no competitive edge remaining.
I'm considering writing a similar complaint. How did they respond?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.