Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Looking for someone travelling 10/30 LGA-YYZ Fl#4280

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:47 am
Original Poster

I recently realized that my 14 yr old son is likely to run into trouble because he is booked to fly alone on AA this Friday.

(When I booked him I was not aware that AA will not allow a 14 yr old to fly unless we use their "Unaccompanied Minor" service. As I will be flying out of a different airport at that time I cannot accompany to the airport which would be required.)

Any willing "adult" (16 or older) on the flight would theoretically be able to help me. If you are, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I'm quite curious what would happened if he just showed up to the airport and when confronted about his age said, well I'm solo, my Dad is already in the air from JFK, etc. The airline would be in an interesting dilemma of violating their own policy and allowing him to fly to YYZ or stranding him in New York without supervision. That said, I don't exactly suggest you try this.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I'm also curious, and would love to hear from anyone with experience, but I will (obviously) not put my son in that position.

A travel agent I know (sort of) suggested that my son could theoretically approach anyone (over 16) on that flight and ask them to "accompany" him. While I think this is technically correct, I can't send him to the airport relying on this because if it doesn't work I won't be able to do much about it, because our plan is for the rest of the family to be flying from a different city and meeting in YYZ.

So I decided to try this, even though it's a long-shot, because if someone were to respond we may be able to arrange it in advance.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by sts603
The airline would be in an interesting dilemma of violating their own policy and allowing him to fly to YYZ or stranding him in New York without supervision.
I would imagine they would release the UM into the protective custody of law enforcement, from whom the father would then be hearing shortly, no?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Good luck with the request.

I would like to know from an AA agent if their system will flag travelers based on age. I suspect that once the booking is made and the "UM screening process" has been avoided by that booking engine, their system may never bother to look after that point.

While I assume their systems flag UMs, I dont know if it flags 'every under age kid' (then every family traveling would need for each kid to be 'cleared' etc etc..I havent observed this extra activity.)

Quick story- a friends 14 YO daugheter ran away, stole moms CC and booked a UA flight SFO-EWR. Got onto the plane and flew to EWR. No ID. Police in EWR found her (using CC activity) UA refused to fly her home, even as a UM, as no parent or guardian was there to sign her in. Friend had to fly to EWR to get her. Friend sued UA in small claims for his fare, and settled on day of trial for full amount plus costs. For UA it was a decision driven by publicitly concerns, according to their counsel.

So, no matter what feedback you get, you need a 100% backup:

Is there a later flight on an airline that hs no age restriction that he can buy a cash fare as a back up?

How is son getting to the airport? Is there a friend/relative that could get him past check in, let him board, flight departs, then cancel their ticket?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA does not have a UM policy for 14 YOA.

This is OP's second thread on the same issue. In the other thread, it was pointed out that the son can travel on WS or AC. WS flies the route for as low as $74.

There is no need of a backup plan here. The backup ought to be the primary. Or just bite the bullet and pay the UM fee (which is high, but that's AA's choice).
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Often1
UA does not have a UM policy for 14 YOA.

This is OP's second thread on the same issue. In the other thread, it was pointed out that the son can travel on WS or AC. WS flies the route for as low as $74.

There is no need of a backup plan here. The backup ought to be the primary. Or just bite the bullet and pay the UM fee (which is high, but that's AA's choice).
Paying the UM fee to AA will not solve the problem here. From the OP:

"As I will be flying out of a different airport at that time I cannot accompany to the airport which would be required."
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sts603
I'm quite curious what would happened if he just showed up to the airport and when confronted about his age said, well I'm solo, my Dad is already in the air from JFK, etc. The airline would be in an interesting dilemma of violating their own policy and allowing him to fly to YYZ or stranding him in New York without supervision. That said, I don't exactly suggest you try this.
My guess is that airport police are well-trained in the appropriate response to an unaccompanied 14 year old. Quick phone call to the child welfare/child protective services authorities and their problem is solved.

The parents' problems, on the other hand, are just beginning.

I agree with you - it isn't a wise suggestion.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
My guess is that airport police are well-trained in the appropriate response to an unaccompanied 14 year old. Quick phone call to the child welfare/child protective services authorities and their problem is solved.

I was unaware that 14 year old US citizens are subject to detention when not accompanied by an adult in any public setting.

Way to be hyperbolic...
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
To the OP: I think this plan sounds a little bit creepy, whether your son approaches someone at the airport or you find someone on an Internet discussion board. Granted, it's FT, but still ...

Let's say you get a volunteer. What are you going to do to check that person out? And what will that person do to check you out? There's a risk to them too. Who would volunteer to accompany a minor/stranger across an international border?

Last edited by SJOGuy; Oct 25, 2015 at 11:18 am
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Any Canada immigration issues with a 14 yo showing up alone? I don't know, just asking.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
This situation may concern more than AA's rule regarging minors traveling alone, since this is international flight and have to also consider Canadian rule considering minors traveling alone into Canada.

Government of Canada website indicates:

▼ If a minor child is travelling alone

The child should present:
•his own passport
◦a parent’s passport, even if the child’s details are included in it, cannot be used
•a copy of his birth certificate, and
•a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, and signed by both parents or by their legal guardian which lists:
◦the parents’ (or legal guardian’s) address and telephone number, and
◦the name, address and telephone number of the adult who will look after the child in Canada.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Many airlines allow 12 year olds to travel "unaccompanied". (AC, AF, BA, Lufthansa, Qantas, SW, UA all allow 12 year olds.) Should we direct "the child welfare/child protective services authorities" to their check-in counter with a paddy wagon?

Do parents really hover over 14 year olds, not letting them out of their sight? In my estimation an airport is not a very dangerous environment for a mature 14 year old. Would you really prohibit a parent from making that judgment themselves?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
To the OP: I think this plan sounds a little bit creepy, whether your son approaches someone at the airport or you find someone on an Internet discussion board. Granted, it's FT, but still ...

Let's say you get a volunteer. What are you going to do to check that person out? And what will that person do to check you out? There's a risk to them too. Who would volunteer to accompany a minor/stranger across an international border?
Like I stated in my original post- I didn't plan it this way! And it won't happen again.

A 14 year old can travel with anyone 16 or older. It does not require the person to take "custody" of the "minor". Objectively speaking, (again- depending on the individual "minor") I don't think it is a dangerous arrangement for the minor if his "company" is a fellow passenger. Remember- this individual is not flying the plane to the destination of his choice. The minor only has a ticket for that flight. Upon arrival, probably the moment he steps on the plane, (or past the gate agent) he no longer needs to interact in any way with his "company".
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:13 pm

re: Canadian 'rules' and letters, etc...

I think "my dad (or mom) is on the other side of that door" would be adequate...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.