Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel miles calculation?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Award travel miles calculation?

I am flying TXL-SFO. On the AA site, I saw an award ticket that was TXL-JFK on Air Berlin, then JFK-SFO on AA (AA163). The segment on Air Belin is in business, and the segment on AA is in first. On the site, this was listed as a 62,500 ticket. However, when I called to book it (I was changing abn award from a different date/class so I had to call), they only charged me 50,000.

What is the correct number of miles that should be deducted? I assume that it's 62,500. If I leave it as is, do I risk losing my ticket? I don't mind if on the AA flight I get bumped into business because I would rather save my limited miles, but right now I have a reservation in first (it was all that was available, and I needed that schedule).

I also just noticed that the same itinerary is now available in economy. If I switch to economy, will I need to pay $150 to change it? And is it worth doing to save 30,000 miles? I never know how much a mile is supposed to be worth.

As always, any suggestions appreciated!
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:32 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Int'l J with a domestic leg in F should price at 50k. If it's booked and ticketed don't touch it...I'm not sure what risk there is?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y
Int'l J with a domestic leg in F should price at 50k. If it's booked and ticketed don't touch it...I'm not sure what risk there is?
Why did it show at 62.5k on the site if it's supposed to be 50k?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Possibly because you were booked in F on the JFK-SFO segment. When you called, the agent corrected that.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
Possibly because you were booked in F on the JFK-SFO segment. When you called, the agent corrected that.
Sorry, I am obviously missing something. I thought mixed cabin awards price at the higher class level?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
It should be 62.5K, since your JFK-SFO is in 3 cabin F. However, I have been in your shoes where an agent probably thought you were booked in regular domestic 2-cabin F. If it has ticketed, I would leave it.

If you are interested, here is a thread that discusses a similar situation:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...r-f-award.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.