Wiki Posts
Search

AA policy on missing legal connection??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
AA policy on missing legal connection??

I am looking into a MR with following routing ord-mia-gru. However, MIA connection is only 46 mins. Plenty of time if nothing goes wrong. Small delay and i would miss the over water connection.

It is a weekend only MR with quick turnaround at GRU (roughly 4hrs). Unfortunately, i cannot add another day to the trip. It needs to be a Sat-Sun MR.

If things don't workout my way and i miss outbound international flight, what are my options?? Well AA allow me to rebook for different dates?? Or they will try to put me on next flight (which will be 10hrs later)? If they change my outbound, it will change my return as well (assuming there will be space in same fare class). Any thoughts?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you miss the outbound MIA-GRU flight, and you cannot extend your trip, then it sounds like a trip in vain, and AA should be willing to fly you home to CHI and allow you to rebook the trip for another time. If that's the case, find someone at MIA who is willing to listen and get you on a flight back to ORD, after having noted in the record that your trip was in vain.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
You can ask for ORC for the flight from MIA. not sure you will get it, particularly if its outside of AA's control like weather. Can you try to standby for an earlier flight out of ORD, particularly if weather is an issue that day? A sympathetic agent might allow you to do so.

Also a little OT, do you have a Visa for Brazil. Others might chime in but I don't think you can do a turnaround at GRU without it. Others please opine if you know for sure.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
You can ask for ORC for the flight from MIA. not sure you will get it, particularly if its outside of AA's control like weather. Can you try to standby for an earlier flight out of ORD, particularly if weather is an issue that day? A sympathetic agent might allow you to do so.

Also a little OT, do you have a Visa for Brazil. Others might chime in but I don't think you can do a turnaround at GRU without it. Others please opine if you know for sure.
It's a 5am flight from ord. I don't think there is anything sooner unless i fly the night before. And i looked into that already as well. Even disregarding hotel cost for the night, the fare doesn't make sense.

It doesn't even have to be weather. 20 min wait on the tarmac or long takeoff queue would greatly increase chances of missing it. AA schedules boarding time 45 mins prior to take off on international flights.

Already got BR visa from another trip.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sounds like a trip in vain would be possible.

I'd have a note added to my PNR in MIA as I'm arranging to fly home for possible rebooking or so it's more likely to be granted Original Routing Credit.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
At least a 5AM flight is likely to leave late unless there is a mechanical issue. The problem might be on the MIA end waiting for a gate. I would assume you would need to be at the GRU gate no later than T-15 and of course you might be forced to check a bag (if you have more than two items) causing more hassle at GRU. Try to get to the front of the a/c on the ORD flight. At worst you would have to return to ORD from MIA, hopefully with ORC. Let the agent know you were doing it for a MR. Good luck, hope it works out, let us know how it went.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver

I'd have a note added to my PNR in MIA as I'm arranging to fly home for possible rebooking or so it's more likely to be granted Original Routing Credit.
Do you mean there is a chance will not allow me to rebook and force me to fly on the re-routed flight (even tho it will impact return)? Because that would be the worst case scenario and most likely i will need to give up the flight.

Do AAgents feel less inclined to give orc if they figure the trip was a MR?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I am looking into a MR with following routing ord-mia-gru. However, MIA connection is only 46 mins. Plenty of time if nothing goes wrong. Small delay and i would miss the over water connection.

It is a weekend only MR with quick turnaround at GRU (roughly 4hrs). Unfortunately, i cannot add another day to the trip. It needs to be a Sat-Sun MR.

If things don't workout my way and i miss outbound international flight, what are my options?? Well AA allow me to rebook for different dates?? Or they will try to put me on next flight (which will be 10hrs later)? If they change my outbound, it will change my return as well (assuming there will be space in same fare class). Any thoughts?
If you haven't booked it yet, and it sounds like you haven't, personally I wouldn't.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Originally Posted by JDiver

Do you mean there is a chance will not allow me to rebook and force me to fly on the re-routed flight (even tho it will impact return)? Because that would be the worst case scenario and most likely i will need to give up the flight.

Do AAgents feel less inclined to give orc if they figure the trip was a MR?
Why would you say youre on a MR? Ive had many trips of a few hours to deliver my kids or drop of work stuff or an hour meeting. Ive actually had more <4 hour layovers for legit reasons than MRs.

Theres zero reason to say why you went on trip. If you are EXP i would wager near zero risk AA would not grant ORC. Chances rise quickly with less status especially if weather or ATC delay. Ive never been denied ORC in the ~6 times ive asked.

You should have option to rebook or just ask for ORC.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Considering you *really* have to be back so quickly and cannot handle being rebooked onto the next service I'd be a bit careful. They *should* either give you ORC, or refund ticket cost and take you back to point of origin [as the purpose of the trip was defeated] - but arguing the purpose was a MR might not be in your favour!

How are options of flying via DFW or JFK? Also, any chance of flying out the night before and taking a cheap hotel night anywhere?

edit: This is written from GRU lounge and I just had an IRROP on my original connection in MIA but got reaccomodated on direct DFW-GRU flight so still made it in time here. Only other option would have been a re-reoute MIA-BOG-GRU which may or may not have been granted for me...
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You do not have to tell AA why it is a trip in vain, only that the trip is in vain. Even if you do, there is nothing wrong with MR's. Some agents may not understand them, but that is irrelevant.

It is highly unlikely that you will obtain both ORC and a TIV refund. But, a careless agent flipping through ORC requests might miss it. Just don't count on it.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skba1
Considering you *really* have to be back so quickly and cannot handle being rebooked onto the next service I'd be a bit careful.
That's my thinking as well.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Do you have to be back by a certain time on Sun? I believe there is a midday flight from GRU (both TAM and AA), so even if you do miss the connection Sat morning and have to take the redeye to GRU, you could still make it back to CHI by Sun night.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by Often1
You do not have to tell AA why it is a trip in vain, only that the trip is in vain. Even if you do, there is nothing wrong with MR's. Some agents may not understand them, but that is irrelevant.
Ok, it might be sufficient to just say it - although in Europe I've had to at least outline (not prove) why it would be in vain. (And MR may not be understood or not deemed 'proper' - hence them trying to force you to take the next flight)
Just say you were signing some documents or whatever and it should be fine.
It is highly unlikely that you will obtain both ORC and a TIV refund. But, a careless agent flipping through ORC requests might miss it. Just don't count on it.
Yeah this shouldn't happen - either you get ORC and get flown home (no refund), or you get full refund and flown home with no additional credit.

The main worry is if they are reluctant to do a TIV refund; you'll have no problems in being rebooked, but if you absolutely must be home Sunday evening it is always risky.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Original routing credit is typically issued when you complete a journey but you're involuntarily rerouted to a shorter, more direct itinerary that wouldn't earn as many miles.

ORC for ORD-GRU is not likely (like practically zero chance) if you fly from ORD to MIA and then fly back to ORD because missed connections would render the trip in vain. Doesn't matter if you re-book the GRU trip or not.

Years ago, techgirl encountered a similar problem with a trip to SIN (I think it was SIN), and struck a deal with the UA agents to return her home but grant ORC, as it was near the end of the year and she needed the qualifying miles. UA balked once she returned home - and I don't think UA relented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.