Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS gate agents do not know AA standby rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS gate agents do not know AA standby rules

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cedric
Not only is it a new computer system that they are learning, but also a whole new set of policies. Give it time!
FYI - there really isn't much to learn for the LUS agents. They've place an overlay over the Sabre system that AA agents are using that looks and feels just like the Shares overlay they are used to. This made the transition much smoother for them.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The ability to use the overlay is different than understanding the difference in policies.

And ... I'm not sure I understand the difference between the pmUS and AA policies for standby. Last time I walked up to the gate in PHX a couple of months ago and asked to get on an earlier flight, the GA clicked away and handed me a boarding pass.

Also, the website allows you to do a confirmed change and that has worked well recently.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Cranky GA (potentially with learning disability or memory retention issues?), AA help desk expressly set up for these issues not used by GA, OP was calm, assertive and firm, ultimately prevailed, it all got handled.

But... there's never an excuse for a customer-facing person to express attitude. Never.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
First off let me say that there isn't really an excuse for the GA to give an attitude.

That being said, it's a pretty difficult time learning all the new rules and procedures for these agents. Like said before, most of these agents for pmUS learned all this new policy and procedures many months ago, then had to put it on hold and go back to the usual set up and policies until this past Saturday, so mistakes are going to be made, agents will get things wrong. Those saying that it's not that hard and all that have no clue what they are talking about from this situation. What there is no excuse for again is for an agent to cop an attitude.

Seems the policy is complimentary standby for EP Plat and gold, complimentary sd flight change for EP, $75 for plat and gold. Upgrades are complimentary to all 3 with flts less than 500 miles, over 500 miles Plat and gold have to use 500 mile upgrades. Am I getting this correct or am I a little off?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by txrus
Therefore I am not the least bit surprised to hear what happened to the OP. Given my experience with the staff there, he's lucky he got a seat at all.
Really? PHX pmUS employees are rude? Thought PHL was the winner for that. IME, PHX employees were always friendly, laidback, and very helpful/accommodating (obviously, with a few exceptions).

PHX employees being rude/unhelpful is definitely a new concept to me. PHL/CLT, wouldn't surprise me (and I've experienced both firsthand).
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by kettle1
There is NO reason the agent should have an "attitude". Learn your job before you cop an "attitude". Say the OP said no problem, I will pay the $75. How could the gate agent force that $75 into the computer?
GA pulled up the screen for a confirmed upgrade, which would have taken the $75 payment. I considered paying the fee, requesting a refund later, but decided against it.
1. Too much grief and hassle
2. As others suggested, I would only be reinforcing inappropriate behavior, issue would end up biting me again. Between the dust-up at the gate, complaints filed with AA Twitter and AA.com, providing my record locator and GA's identity, I would like to believe some further training will take place soon.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Really? PHX pmUS employees are rude? Thought PHL was the winner for that. IME, PHX employees were always friendly, laidback, and very helpful/accommodating (obviously, with a few exceptions).

PHX employees being rude/unhelpful is definitely a new concept to me. PHL/CLT, wouldn't surprise me (and I've experienced both firsthand).
PHX gate agents tend to be very cordial and friendly - until there is an issue. Many are not the sharpest crayons in the box, tend to get defensive when it becomes apparent a customer knows the rules better than they do, first experience with this level of attitude.

SAN LUS agents are also a pretty good bunch. When Parker had the ability to interline baggage removed from their systems - including with AA - they created manual tags for travel in Feb of this year. On the return flight (starting with LAA), the agent was stumped, impressed by the ingenuity of the SAN LUS agent.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Confirmed same day change is $75. Standby is free. Think the Gate Agent was confused with the two rules. No excuse for the attitude, but its less than 1 week after the integration. There will be learning pains.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flymonthly
While it may seem like there was a long time to train, any training before the last few weeks likely would not have stuck, especially policy changes. Think about it - you learn different policies last winter (or whenever), but you never actually have to put them into practice until last weekend. I would be very surprised if even 25% of what they learned really sinks in until they have to use it. So I'm inclined to cut them some slack, although they certainly shouldn't give pax any attitude. And they should be more willing to ask supervisors or a help desk when a frequent flyer asserts something different than the new policy they think they remember.
And many times a policy change is announced and then revised multiple times before it's implemented.

Originally Posted by arollins
You would think that maybe they could have some pmAA agent also working side by side pmUS agent, best way to learn is seeing others doing it and learning by example and practice. Unfortunately due to other circumstances the "full" integration won't occur. Does UA agents are working with CO agents, I doubt it. Heck, HP/US are not fully integrated.
I believe AA/US airport agents will be fully integrated once the new contract is voted on by the union membership. They should be the first group since the TA was already reached.

Originally Posted by cedric
Seems like the agent was trying quite hard to learn the new rules and system. If they didn't have their heart in it, it's unlikely that they would have studied the manual to the point where things were highlighted and underlined. Not only is it a new computer system that they are learning, but also a whole new set of policies. Give it time!
But didn't elites get free standby under LUS policies to begin with? This is something that didn't change, unless the agent got the standby and same-day flight change products confused.

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
FYI - there really isn't much to learn for the LUS agents. They've place an overlay over the Sabre system that AA agents are using that looks and feels just like the Shares overlay they are used to. This made the transition much smoother for them.
^ It may even be more difficult for AA agents to transition. Whereas native Sabre has quick text entries to get something done (once an agent is familiar with the system), QIK requires hitting a bunch of F-keys and selecting options from a menu. It's more user-friendly but also slows down the experienced agents.

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369

PHX employees being rude/unhelpful is definitely a new concept to me.
^ Agreed, nothing but good experiences to report at PHX.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:12 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster (so hopefully I do this right). I've been waiting for someone to post about this, as the exact same thing happened to me this week in CLT. Gate agent and customer service rep stated that a $75 fee would apply for standby. I tried to keep sweet and asked for a supervisor who reiterated the fee. After politely arguing my case and showing them the policy on aa.com, they finally allowed me on the flight, but gave me a stern warning about how it was against "the new American's policy" and that I shouldn't expect such allowances in the future. Growing pains, obviously, but frustrating nonetheless!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
KattFlyer welcome to FT. Great first post. Keep it up.

The merged AA needs training. Especially the Supervisors. They need to know the rules in lockstep.

Happy travels.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by KattFlyer
Long time lurker, first time poster (so hopefully I do this right). I've been waiting for someone to post about this, as the exact same thing happened to me this week in CLT. Gate agent and customer service rep stated that a $75 fee would apply for standby. I tried to keep sweet and asked for a supervisor who reiterated the fee. After politely arguing my case and showing them the policy on aa.com, they finally allowed me on the flight, but gave me a stern warning about how it was against "the new American's policy" and that I shouldn't expect such allowances in the future. Growing pains, obviously, but frustrating nonetheless!
Welcome aboard! Do you have elite status? If not, the agent and supervisor were correct.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:40 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by arollins
There is going to be growing pains. You got on the early flight, you got the upgrade, took some drama, but you managed. That the agent was not pleasant and cordial and had an attitude, seems par for the course.
I don't like your forgiving attitude - the fact that the EXP had to jump through hoops and at last second achieved the result is not what his write up is about.

There is no growing pains - the $75 charge for the standby of the highest elite was pure invention of the agents. They could not confuse with any rule - they invented it and mishandled it after they learned that they were wrong.

Regardless - elite standby should not be above (on the upgrade list) same elite who were on their original flight.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Welcome aboard! Do you have elite status? If not, the agent and supervisor were correct.
Yes - I'm just a Gold, but it was always my understanding that voluntary same day standby was complimentary. I may have another opportunity to try for standby next week - we'll see how it goes!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Why would something listed on aa.com not be in their manual?

Get complimentary same-day standby with:

◾Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets

◾American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status and companions in same record

◾oneworldŽ Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record

◾AirPass membership

◾First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets

◾AAnytime award tickets

◾Choice Plus fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.