Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MQ (Envoy Air) airline code on an AA regional flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Weird. Did OLCI for a flight this evening, regional between ORD-YYZ. Made the booking with Avios but the process up until now showed an AA flight number until I did OLCI. The boarding pass issued shows the MQ(3220) designation and not AA(4359). I've never experienced this, where the operating contractor's airline code shows. Is this new, or all that rare?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I thought this was common? Was that just Europe where I've seen it?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
This is a bug with Avios bookings on Eagle flights (at least to/from Canada, not sure if it also affects domestic flights). The boarding pass from the AA app shows an MQ flight number and will not actually work at security. If you check in on the AA website and print a boarding pass, that will work (and will give Precheck if you're eligible).
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by SJC AA
The boarding pass from the AA app shows an MQ flight number and will not actually work at security. If you check in on the AA website and print a boarding pass, that will work (and will give Precheck if you're eligible).
I'm curious why the BP will not work at security, and I'm assuming from your statement that you have personal experience with this.

Does the scanner at the TSA doc check reject the BP, and if so in what way?

I cannot imagine the TSA doc check drone knowing, noticing, and caring that "MQ" is not an airline (well, not one that has their name painted in the largest font on the airplane) as long as the BP is for a flight that day, from that airport, and in the name of the person whose ID is presented.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I was connecting from a MIA flight (separate ticket) so didn't have to go through security at ORD so can't confirm. It did scan properly at the boarding gate though. Used the mobile boarding pass on my iPhone. (It was registered under my BA account, so did not show my TSA PreCheck coded of course.)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I'm curious why the BP will not work at security, and I'm assuming from your statement that you have personal experience with this.

Does the scanner at the TSA doc check reject the BP, and if so in what way?
In my experience
- the MQ boarding pass from the app never gets Precheck
- the TSA doc check scanner rejects it, but not sure in what way

I have only seen this happen on Avios award flights to/from Canada (but then that's the only time I fly Eagle, so who knows?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.