Wiki Posts
Search

DCA/IAD airport change on intl award

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
DCA/IAD airport change on intl award

I am booking ORD-DCA/IAD-AUH for an award tix and trying to figure out the best strategy here.

1. IAD/DCA are co-terminals to my knowledge for purposes of booking an award. Correct?

2. In normal circumstances, they don't allow SDC/standby between DCA/IAD/BWI (i have tried). Would they make exceptions if there was WX risking the over water segment? My travel is in Feb from ORD (a known trouble city from weather). I am just trying figure out my backup options if foul weather is risking my flights.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I am booking ORD-DCA/IAD-AUH for an award tix and trying to figure out the best strategy here.

1. IAD/DCA are co-terminals to my knowledge for purposes of booking an award. Correct?

2. In normal circumstances, they don't allow SDC/standby between DCA/IAD/BWI (i have tried). Would they make exceptions if there was WX risking the over water segment? My travel is in Feb from ORD (a known trouble city from weather). I am just trying figure out my backup options if foul weather is risking my flights.
Have you already determined that EY permits routing via WAS on an ORD-AUH award?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you already determined that EY permits routing via WAS on an ORD-AUH award?
I think you are confused with routing. ORD-WAS will be AA metal. Ofcourse, EY doesn't fly between those cities.

Since this is AA award, their award rules apply. Not EY's.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you are confused with routing. ORD-WAS will be AA metal. Ofcourse, EY doesn't fly between those cities.

Since this is AA award, their award rules apply. Not EY's.
No, I'm not confused.

On an AAdvantage award where a partner carrier flies the "over-water" segment, a particular award itinerary will price as a single award if and only if:

1) the over-water carrier publishes a through-fare from origin to destination; and

2) the routing rules of the published fare permit the particular routing.

It is AA's award rules that require reference to the over-water carrier's routing rules on published through-fares.

The fact that EY does not fly ORD-WAS is irrelevant. EY's published through-fares between ORD-AUH might -- or might not -- permit routing via WAS, and might -- or might not -- permit AA and/or UA to be used to fly the ORD-WAS component of ORD-WAS-AUH.

I suggest you call AA and ask whether ORD-DCA//IAD-AUH is a valid award routing before you invest anymore time on this issue.

And, of course, if it is a valid award routing and you ticket it, you can change the award routing to another (better) AA/EY permissible routing if and when award seats become available.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

No, I'm not confused.

On an AAdvantage award where a partner carrier flies the "over-water" segment, a particular award itinerary will price as a single award if and only if:

1) the over-water carrier publishes a through-fare from origin to destination; and

2) the routing rules of the published fare permit the particular routing.

It is AA's award rules that require reference to the over-water carrier's routing rules on published through-fares.

The fact that EY does not fly ORD-WAS is irrelevant. EY's published through-fares between ORD-AUH might -- or might not -- permit routing via WAS, and might -- or might not -- permit AA and/or UA to be used to fly the ORD-WAS component of ORD-WAS-AUH.
Hmm... I know about #1 and EY has a published fare between ORD-AUH.

As for #2, I have never seen any reference that overwater carriers needs to permit that routing (since there is no third region here). Would fare rules on EF have this information?

Also, I wasn't asking about changing award booking. I have desired flights available right now. My question was - will they make exception and re-route flights between co-terminals if there is WX?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Would fare rules on EF have this information?"

They should. But you can also just call AA and ask if the routing is OK. And you can hold an award booking for five days, if desired.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"My question was - will they make exception and re-route flights between co-terminals if there is WX?"

If the ORD-DCA flight is canceled or significantly delayed, it is AA's responsibility to get you to your final destination (AUH) eventually. That might involve routing you via IAD or BWI. But it might also involve routing you via LHR, CDG, AMM, DOH, JFK, etc. (and not necessarily on EY metal).
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

But you can also just call AA
I prefer to be better prepared than AAgent before I call in for an award booking.

Edit: I called AA and they said ORD-WAS-AUH not allowed on EY but I have done AUH-DFW-ORD in past. what fare basis do I need to look-up on EF? Little confused now.

Last edited by carsnoceans; Oct 4, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Update -

Couldn't find any rules around overwater carriers routing rules while doing the redemption. Everything directed to AA's routing rules, MPM and third region exception.
So I called AA again and got ORD-DCA segment added to IAD-AUH.

That's why I don't ask AA. More self knowledge = better.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update -

Couldn't find any rules around overwater carriers routing rules while doing the redemption. Everything directed to AA's routing rules, MPM and third region exception.
So I called AA again and got ORD-DCA segment added to IAD-AUH.

That's why I don't ask AA. More self knowledge = better.
Has your award actually ticketed yet?

AA does not publish all of their award routing rules, but the requirement that an AAdvantage award satisfy. the "over-water" carrier's published through-fare routing rules has been discussed many times here on FT, as well as on the TB website.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:40 am
Suspended

...As for #2, I have never seen any reference that overwater carriers needs to permit that routing (since there is no third region here). Would fare rules on EF have this information?
Update -

guv1976 is completely correct about this requirement. Only caveat might be that internally in some places instead of using "overwater carrier," most significant carrier or other language is used.

However, to reiterate, guv1976 is completely correct about this requirement.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

AA does not publish all of their award routing rules, but the requirement that an AAdvantage award satisfy. the "over-water" carrier's published through-fare routing rules has been discussed many times here on FT, as well as on the TB website.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
guv1976 is completely correct about this requirement. Only caveat might be that internally in some places instead of using "overwater carrier," most significant carrier or other language is used.

However, to reiterate, guv1976 is completely correct about this requirement.
Thanks both.

If I am trying to look this up on EF, what fare basis would be used for looking at rules?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Thanks both.

If I am trying to look this up on EF, what fare basis would be used for looking at rules?
That-- to me anyway-- had no real carved-in-stone answer. I usually go a fare or two from the full J/F and the see if there's any difference in allowed routing, etc., between a couple of different ones. Remember that if the fare says "YY" can't use that one. And, as alluded to, "constructed" does/can mean same.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As to SDC, all that matters is origin and destination. No such thing as a co-terminal for SDC purposes.

Doesn't mean that an agent hasn't ever done it at the airport, just that you can't count on it. If you do, I would not use jargon such as "SDC" and simply ask if it's possible to change to the flight you want. Sometimes agents focus on the rules of what you've asked for rather than simply doing a change and waiving the change fee.

Thus, plan on the DCA-IAD trek (which isn't bad if you do the timing right and is awful if you do it wrong).

Last edited by Often1; Oct 6, 2015 at 7:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.