Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Android Pay & Citi AA Executive or Other Citi AAdvantage Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

Has anyone tried to use Android Pay with the AA Citi Card?

I had the card in my Google Wallet account and it worked fine for the last year or so. Per Google, you were supposed to be able to bring over any card that was in Wallet, regardless of bank support. But, that didn't work.. the app tells me to call the bank.

So a quick call to Citi, says that only 2 of their many cards are supported in Android Pay, and the AA card isn't one of them. Ok.. so now call Google to figure out why I can't use it since it was an existing card.. they say that not all existing cards would work, and to call Citi - BUT - they show my card is 100% eligible.

Anyone here had any luck with Android Pay and the Citi card? I'm not liking Android Pay.. I didn't like it when it was ISIS or Softcard, and I still don't like it now. There was nothing wrong with Wallet.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:07 am

I called Citi because I couldn't enroll. Lo and behold, the usual Citi incompetence. First tier didn't even know what Android Pay is. 2nd tier kept reading instructions to enroll in Apple Pay. Third tier said I need a new card issued... Hilton HHonors Reserve and an old Dividend card both failed.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I think you nailed it with "usual Citi incompetence".

Man, if Barclay would get a card to match the Exec card (club access), I'd dump Citi in a heartbeat.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loved Google Wallet. Had no problems with any of my cards on it. Cannot with Citi AA on Android PAy. Aaarrgggh.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:47 pm

Contact American Airlines

First, Android Pay has NOTHING to do with Isis/Softcard. That was a failed venture from Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T. Android Pay is almost identical to the contactless payment part of Wallet. It's even better, since you don't have to even open the app. Just unlock your phone and hover it over reader. Done.

As for the Aadvantage Card, I got confirmation from Citi that American Airlines hasn't approved it yet. I haven't gotten an answer from AA as to why they support Apple Pay but not Android Pay. It could be that it's making its way through the approval process, they have an exclusive deal with Apple, or no one has asked them to support it yet. But it's not Google's or Citi's fault for now...
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Pwsfinest

As for the Aadvantage Card, I got confirmation from Citi that American Airlines hasn't approved it yet. I haven't gotten an answer from AA as to why they support Apple Pay but not Android Pay. It could be that it's making its way through the approval process, they have an exclusive deal with Apple, or no one has asked them to support it yet. But it's not Google's or Citi's fault for now...
Why does AA need to approve a Citi card being used in Android Pay? AA doesn't "issue" the card. Was a reason given for that?

To add a data point, I've also not been able to add my card. My understanding of the situation is that "unsupported" cards are grandfathered in. But because Citi is a participanting bank, the card is not considered to be "unsupported" in the setup process, which you can see from the customized Citi terms and conditions. I'm not sure if its intentional or not, but that's what happens.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it was approved for Google Wallet but not for Android Pay? That really makes no sense.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pwsfinest
First, Android Pay has NOTHING to do with Isis/Softcard. That was a failed venture from Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T. Android Pay is almost identical to the contactless payment part of Wallet. It's even better, since you don't have to even open the app. Just unlock your phone and hover it over reader. Done.

It absolutely does have to do with Isis/Softcard. Google purchased their assets when it closed up shop. http://www.androidcentral.com/softca...take-its-place

Good info to know on why it isn't working yet.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
Why does AA need to approve a Citi card being used in Android Pay? AA doesn't "issue" the card. Was a reason given for that?

To add a data point, I've also not been able to add my card. My understanding of the situation is that "unsupported" cards are grandfathered in. But because Citi is a participanting bank, the card is not considered to be "unsupported" in the setup process, which you can see from the customized Citi terms and conditions. I'm not sure if its intentional or not, but that's what happens.
I suspect it has to do with the AA cards being a rewards program product - most rewards program credit cards involve some level of POS integration, for example having your AA member number recognized at POS when paying for a ticket at airport ticket counter. With regular credit cards, the POS device may need to use the card number to link to the member number but that requires jumping through some extra hoops with things like Apple Pay and Android Pay since the merchant doesn't see the "real" card number but instead a substitute token. In other words, may not be that American has to "approve" it but that they won't allow Citi to link your AA card to Android Pay until the AA systems are ready to support it.

Given that Android Pay is leveraging some of the same back-end capabilities the card companies put in place for Apple Pay, it seems like the fact that Citi and AA *do* support linking your card to Apple Pay that Android Pay would also be supported but I have an idea that there are still some differences, ones that American hasn't coded for yet. Hopefully, that'll change soon.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by NateEaton
I suspect it has to do with the AA cards being a rewards program product - most rewards program credit cards involve some level of POS integration, for example having your AA member number recognized at POS when paying for a ticket at airport ticket counter. With regular credit cards, the POS device may need to use the card number to link to the member number but that requires jumping through some extra hoops with things like Apple Pay and Android Pay since the merchant doesn't see the "real" card number but instead a substitute token. In other words, may not be that American has to "approve" it but that they won't allow Citi to link your AA card to Android Pay until the AA systems are ready to support it.

Given that Android Pay is leveraging some of the same back-end capabilities the card companies put in place for Apple Pay, it seems like the fact that Citi and AA *do* support linking your card to Apple Pay that Android Pay would also be supported but I have an idea that there are still some differences, ones that American hasn't coded for yet. Hopefully, that'll change soon.
Doesn't make sense here. Why would the merchant need to recognize the reward partner? That would be like every mom and pop shop out there need to have the facility to update AA that you made a purchase with them.

Really, all the merchant needs to do is ensure their business is in the right merchant category (service, gas station, food, etc...). One additional registration requirement for co-branded merchant is to have the names/business entities that are supposed to get the extra points registered within Citi's system properly.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And it WORKED with Google Wallet.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:50 pm

American Airlines/ Citi Aadvantage Not Enabled for Android Pay

If you search for Android Pay on Citi there is a descriptive page and down in the mouseprint

"Android Pay is only available when using Citi branded consumer credit and debit cards (except for ATM cards, American Express cards, AT&T Universal Cards and AT&T Access Cards from Citi, Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa® cards, and Citi® / AAdvantage® cards) issued in the United States (except for Visa cards issued in Guam). Citi cards excluded above that have already been added to Google Wallet will be available in Android Pay until 6/30/2016."

So, no Android Pay for us. My Aadvantage card used to work, but no more. Very disappointing. I made my displeasure known (politely) to Citi. I will be doing the same at American.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well my card that is excluded above was added to Google wallet and working perfectly but is not working now so I do not understand the annotation.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Same here. Per what they are saying, my card should have worked because it was already in Wallet.

It's basically a bunch of lies and misinformation from Google, Citi, and now possibly AA too.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:33 am

Google Wallet is different from Android Pay. Wallet gives you a virtual card number to use that abstracts the real card number. Android Pay on the other hand virtualizes the number similar to chip based card where the system generates a token to make the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.