Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades / SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the LAX-SYD-LAX route. This flight began with three class Boeing 777-300ER, but has changed to a two class Boeing 787-9.

Inaugural flights:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 EADT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)

SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 EADT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT

General discussion of the LAX-SYD-LAX route is at:
AA to operate LAX-SYD with 77W (inaugural 17 December 2015) archived
AA LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Print Wikipost

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Yes you could try to upgrade the lower status passenger but unlikely to work since they'd be jumping the waitlist (unlikely you're the only 2 on the waitlist).
If C shows up that should indicate that the waitlist is empty. And in this situation I would absolutely push the upgrade through for the non-status passenger first if at all possible if only 1 was available.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: Oneworld, AA Exec Plat
New To this thread - I fly this route RT 2x a year and send staff on it 2-4x more

So happy to have found this thread.

I fly on AA (Exec plat) on the LAX-SYD route at least 2x a year. We send people down periodically, so our office is probably taking 10-12 RT flights a year at this point.

Our strategy has been to book economy tickets and then get upgraded to business. This has been extremely succcessful so far, and we're probably like 11/12 for getting these cleared.

We've used ExpertFlyer, as others have, to set alerts and then call AA as soon as availability opens up. We've also booked refundable (or the flexible) tickets when it was economically feasible, and moved the flight a day or two if we didn't clear in advance.

----------

Now what I REALLY want to know from the experts here, is what is your plan going forward when they switch to the 787 and business class space is halved?

I had a flight previously scheduled for early NOV on the 777, but now that has been changed to the 787.

1) Should I be worried about getting upgraded as an Exec plat in this new, 787, world?
2) What if I have a companion with me attached to my ticket?
3) I don't know QF's upgrade rules or if that even makes sense - do any AA FF's have experience going this route?
4) I don't want to connect via HKG.

So what is everyone's strategy going forward here?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Maintain explat, book earlier than everyone else, and cross my fingers.
(or fly via AKL where I think there are far fewer business travellers on AA)

Originally Posted by denff
So what is everyone's strategy going forward here?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by shuuy
I've thought about doing the AKL route, as I would still see availability for that in the 777 days on expertflyer.

Has anyone considered
1) Some strategy via Qantas?
2) Switching allegiance to a different carrier? I have no idea how their upgrade processes works though, and I spent so much time learning AA's way. Perhaps I could leverage current Exec plat status though to switch w/ status. I'm in DEN and would be better served by United as this is a hub
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone considered
1) Some strategy via Qantas?
<snip>
You cannot upgrade on QF with AA miles.
QF frequent flyers refer to the QF upgrade system as lottery. Winning in a lottery has better odds.
QF (like other non USA airlines) will fly with empty business and first class seat having denied there own freq flyers an upgrade with ff miles/points.

But QF will happily sell you for full retail price a seat in premium economy, business or first class. Just give them your credit card.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by shuuy
booking early no longer helps, priority is based on EQD. In fact, I'd say it's best to wait until the flight loads can be evaluated. There can be a big difference day-to-day especially in shoulder seasons.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:39 am

booking early no longer helps, priority is based on EQD. In fact, I'd say it's best to wait until the flight loads can be evaluated. There can be a big difference day-to-day especially in shoulder seasons.
So picking the flights with:
1) Low business seat fill count
2) Low MCE seat fill count

Has always been part of the strategy. About how far out do you think it best to book a flight these days?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:35 am

So picking the flights with:
1) Low business seat fill count
2) Low MCE seat fill count

Has always been part of the strategy. About how far out do you think it best to book a flight these days?

About a month out, seems that relative seat availability among flights starts to become apparent. (up to that point, EF alerts can be used for the unlikely chance that C inventory becomes available)

Fares can start to increase 21 to 14 days out. Last trip to AKL, I set fare alerts on Google Flights and booked when fares started to uptick.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
About a month out, seems that relative seat availability among flights starts to become apparent. (up to that point, EF alerts can be used for the unlikely chance that C inventory becomes available)

Fares can start to increase 21 to 14 days out. Last trip to AKL, I set fare alerts on Google Flights and booked when fares started to uptick.
I'm guessing that the same advice would apply to destinations other than SYD/AKL, and for a Plat?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, QF, BA
Guys, need some advice here. This is for my Bday and both are expensive one way fares, looking to try and burn 2 SWU into J.

Tues AA73 Flight has
F6 A4 J7 R7 D7 I5 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7

Wed AA73 flight has
F3 A0 J4 R3 D2 I1 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7

However,

Seatmap for Tues shows 6 F seats, but only 7 J seats and 5 MCE left.
Seatmap for Wed shows 4 F seats, but 14 J seats and 12 MCE left.

So, Wed looks like the better option, but the booking classes point to more space on Tues? Have a lot of people just not selected seats?

Cheers!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by QPProletarian
Guys, need some advice here. This is for my Bday and both are expensive one way fares, looking to try and burn 2 SWU into J.

Tues AA73 Flight has

Wed AA73 flight has
F3 A0 J4 R3 D2 I1 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7

However,

Seatmap for Tues shows 6 F seats, but only 7 J seats and 5 MCE left.
Seatmap for Wed shows 4 F seats, but 14 J seats and 12 MCE left.

So, Wed looks like the better option, but the booking classes point to more space on Tues? Have a lot of people just not selected seats?

Cheers!
Update, checked again today, and spoke with agent.

Tuesday now showing (agent said 10 rev seats left)
Wed now showing (agent said 2 rev seats left)
F3 A1 J1 R0 D0 I0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7

Seatmap for Tues shows 6 F seats, 7 J seats and 5 MCE left.
Seatmap for Wed shows 4 F seats, 12 J seats and 12 MCE left.

Cancelled and rebooked for Tues, didn't get exit MCE, but row 17. Because J1 to me shows absolutely no chance.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:18 pm

Update, checked again today, and spoke with agent.

Tuesday now showing (agent said 10 rev seats left)
Wed now showing (agent said 2 rev seats left)
F3 A1 J1 R0 D0 I0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7

Seatmap for Tues shows 6 F seats, 7 J seats and 5 MCE left.
Seatmap for Wed shows 4 F seats, 12 J seats and 12 MCE left.

Cancelled and rebooked for Tues, didn't get exit MCE, but row 17. Because J1 to me shows absolutely no chance.
For this coming week? If so, SWU chances are very good I'd say.

Set seat alerts for MCE just in case.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:53 am

For this coming week? If so, SWU chances are very good I'd say.

Set seat alerts for MCE just in case.
Nah, this is for the end of the Month. I actually even saw C space on the preceding Sunday but want to do Nightswim at Wynn in Vegas.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely do not rely on the seat maps. The booking class information is generally correct (with wrinkles related to potential overbooking of certain cabins).

Also, generally, the more "I" inventory, the more likely an upgrade will eventually clear, all else equal.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:33 am

Upgrades skipping on the list?

Unfortunately, I my SWU didn't clear for LAX-SYD today, though as we boarded, I noticed something strange on the upgrade list. The first name on the list cleared, but so did two names much further down the list (below me and others). Anyone know what this means?
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.