Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades / SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the LAX-SYD-LAX route. This flight began with three class Boeing 777-300ER, but has changed to a two class Boeing 787-9.

Inaugural flights:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 EADT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)

SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 EADT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT

General discussion of the LAX-SYD-LAX route is at:
AA to operate LAX-SYD with 77W (inaugural 17 December 2015) archived
AA LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Print Wikipost

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Well there are still 10 J seats open on the seatmap for tomorrow, and it's sitting at J7. I would guess that you have a pretty good chance. Unless you have an extremely busy day. Monday still have 30 J seats open on the seatmap, and is C0. So I think they are just keeping C inv pretty low until close to flight time.

You being PLT sure doesn't help, but I would guess that some EXPs already cleared, as MCE isn't that full and AA seems to be releasing inventory a bit at a time here 1-2 days before.

Please report back either way!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by corncob
Well there are still 10 J seats open on the seatmap for tomorrow, and it's sitting at J7. I would guess that you have a pretty good chance. Unless you have an extremely busy day. Monday still have 30 J seats open on the seatmap, and is C0. So I think they are just keeping C inv pretty low until close to flight time.

You being PLT sure doesn't help, but I would guess that some EXPs already cleared, as MCE isn't that full and AA seems to be releasing inventory a bit at a time here 1-2 days before.

Please report back either way!
While I was asleep in New Zealand, EF sent me an alert for C7. I woke up at 4am Auckland time to catch my AKL-SYD flight. I saw the C7 alert, and called right into AA US. First lady just said I was on the wait list and said to just wait. So I HUCA and this time told the agent I saw C7 inventory and to please process an upgrade manually. She puts me on hold, and 10 minutes later asks me what J seat I want. Yippee!

By the time I landed in SYD, it was C0. So I'm glad I called in. For the LAX-SYD leg it was C7 from ~T-64 to almost boarding time.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
congrats
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Cleared on a Friday (April 2016) SYD-LAX 36 hours prior from Economy to Business using a gifted SWU.

4/4 so far this year

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
Cleared on a Sunday (Feb 2016) LAX-SYD 36 hours prior from Economy to Business using a gifted SWU.

Cleared on a Wednesday (March 2016) SYD-LAX 36 hours prior from Economy to Business using a gifted SWU.

Cleared on a Saturday LAX-SYD (April 2016) 23 days prior from Economy to Business using a gifted SWU.

AA J is the best business product to SYD at the moment until Virgin Australia starts their new service next month. Inflight WiFi service is still going to make AA J a winner. Better soft product on the SYD-LAX leg.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Does oneworld status factor in to SWU priority for a gifted SWU?

10 seats for an upcoming flight. I'm EXP, she's oneworld Emerald (but no status on AA, Alaska MVP).

Is she a pleb, or will rank higher? ; - )

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:45 pm

No idea on the OWE part (you might post in the SWU master thread and ask).

Are y'all on the same reservation?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shuuy
Does oneworld status factor in to SWU priority for a gifted SWU?

10 seats for an upcoming flight. I'm EXP, she's oneworld Emerald (but no status on AA, Alaska MVP).

Is she a pleb, or will rank higher? ; - )

Thanks
Just to clarify, Alaska MVP is not a OWE, if that's what you were implying. So, unless she's on the same PNR as you, she's a pleb, using your designation
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Linked PNR's but different. (She has Qantas Platinum)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:06 am

Linked PNR's but different. (She has Qantas Platinum)
Linked won't help her, but I've heard that sometimes folks have had luck getting PNRs combined if you get a very experienced and willing EXP Desk agent involved. Maybe you should give that a try...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yngdiego
Looks like SYD-LAX upgrades will be more difficult. At <T-72 there were no C inventory, and looked at the flights between now and mine on Sunday and C0 as well. On the LAX-SYD leg they had C inventory up until a few hours before departure.
Sitting in the Qantas F Lounge now getting ready to board SYD-LAX in J. I was on the waitlist for the 6 weeks since my ticket was purchased. Did not get the upgrade until about 26 hours prior to departure. Got a note about 6 hours before that that C inventory was open but calls to the AU AA desk and the US AA desk both told me to just wait. It ended up working ok.

Right now EF shows about 8 open seats still in J.

Of note, coach only has about 50 seats occupied. I think everyone will get their own row on this flight.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Linked won't help her, but I've heard that sometimes folks have had luck getting PNRs combined if you get a very experienced and willing EXP Desk agent involved. Maybe you should give that a try...
Unfortunately not even same PNR helps anymore for SWU's.

There's only two codes VIP1 (if you are EXP) or VIP (non-EXPs, including those on the same PNR). So even if a traveling companion is Plat, as long as they are using gifted SWU's (or SWUs taken from the travel companion), they will be behind Golds that use mileage+copay (since they are UPG3 priority). Stupid policy I know but I learned it the hard way.

So the poster that got upgraded SYD-LAX using a gifted SWU must be very lucky -- the flight must not have had a long waitlist!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:34 am

Any tricks on getting agents to tell you how long the waitlist is?

11 open seats, 7 days out. we'll see what happens! (fingers crossed)
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Unfortunately not even same PNR helps anymore for SWU's.

There's only two codes VIP1 (if you are EXP) or VIP (non-EXPs, including those on the same PNR). So even if a traveling companion is Plat, as long as they are using gifted SWU's (or SWUs taken from the travel companion), they will be behind Golds that use mileage+copay (since they are UPG3 priority). Stupid policy I know but I learned it the hard way.

So the poster that got upgraded SYD-LAX using a gifted SWU must be very lucky -- the flight must not have had a long waitlist!
So you're saying that if there is an EXP and a non EXP on the same PNR, and the EXP requests upgrades for both and the EXP is the first to request the UG (say 331 days out), and then C2, or even C3 opens up, and 2 other EXPs who have each requested single UGs would get ahead of the original EXP and companion?

In effect the original EXP is inheriting the non status pax status for UG priority?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:35 pm

11 seats available @ T-24
Mrs was upgraded with 2nd last seat, notified at gate (not ckin!) on a SWU.

The SYD handling for AA is quite poor - single line for Explat/Plat/Emerald/Gold/F/J, and then a single line for "All other". Or maybe I'm just spoiled flying QF / SQ / CX / EK.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:33 am

11 seats available @ T-24
Mrs was upgraded with 2nd last seat, notified at gate (not ckin!) on a SWU.

The SYD handling for AA is quite poor - single line for Explat/Plat/Emerald/Gold/F/J, and then a single line for "All other". Or maybe I'm just spoiled flying QF / SQ / CX / EK.
They do only have one flight out of there, so it doesn't really make sense to have lines for every single status. The agents don't really look over at the Priority line though (since the agents are also the Assistance or whatever agents), so you have to keep an eye out when you're at the head of the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.