Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I Fare have Residual Value after Outbound?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis

Next year there are 3 of us traveling to the UK and Ireland. After weeks of searching for a specific date 2 C savers came up DUB-PHL-LAX so I grabbed them for my wife and son. Then wanted to book a refundable revenue Y ticket so I would a) at least be on the plane and b) could move to an award should it come open later or maybe even use an upgrade award (miles or BXP2). Unfortunately lowest refundable fare was more than $3k one-way.

This was a little surprising because refundable tickets on non-PHL AA routings are about half that price. And you can by one-way business class fares on this route for around 2k on Aer Lingus and others right now.

Just to see I searched round-trip and not only does the refundable fare come in around $1900, but you can book a restricted business class fare for $1800. So I am probably going to do that as I am willing to pay that much for a one-way business seat.

Question is once I travel the DUB-PHL-LAX portion, will the ticket (which is an I fare) have any residual value less the change fee? I am putting the return out as far as I can in case we do want to return to Europe late summer, but most likely will only use the one-way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.