Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Original Gold / Plat Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. Speculation: New program to come?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Gold / Plat Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. Speculation: New program to come?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Iirc, three members signing up for challenges have been told information that is consistent: the challenge ends September 23 (last enrollment) and remains closed the remainder of 2015.

This thread title began with a question mark, but the information given has been consistent and appears definitive.

It will be interesting to see what might take its place.
Definitely agree on both counts; a) that it's all but confirmed at this point (not by me-- no one tells me nuthin' ) -and- that-- very, very speculatively-- the "shape" of the new challenge might, potentially, possibly give **some** "window" into the shape of things to come, AAdv Elite status-wise. OR, very possibly not.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely agree on both counts; a) that it's all but confirmed at this point (not by me-- no one tells me nuthin' ) -and- that-- very, very speculatively-- the "shape" of the new challenge might, potentially, possibly give **some** "window" into the shape of things to come, AAdv Elite status-wise. OR, very possibly not.
They tell you sumthin', just not this apparently. Different silo?

I agree - it might, putatively, theoretically, potentially give us a window into the innards of whatever changes might be coming - or not.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:00 pm

More members have been told the last day for signing up for the longstanding Gold / Platinum challenge will be September 23, 2025.

After that, no more challenge for the remainder of 2015. A new challenge, requirements unknown, is rumoured for 2016.

The original challenge thread has been retitled, and can be read here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ep-2015-a.html
Well, if "September 23, 2025" is the last day, then why is this a problem LOL!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:50 pm
Suspended

They tell you sumthin', just not this apparently. Different silo?

I agree - it might, putatively, theoretically, potentially give us a window into the innards of whatever changes might be coming - or not.
I can tell ya this; the proverbial door is shut pretty tight on this change to challenges a'comin. Not to say that means much, but it's piqued my curiosity a bit.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Even now, with a five year wait for signing up again, it has reduced the gamers who challenged for Platinum, send it until they "soft landed" to Gold, used that a year, then began the cycle over again.
Where is a "five year wait for signing up again" documented? Unless I'm staring right at it or something, I don't see that mentioned in the Wiki re: challenges.

Regards
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I can tell ya this; the proverbial door is shut pretty tight on this change to challenges a'comin. Not to say that means much, but it's piqued my curiosity a bit.
I'll hazard a guess that a new system will be published on the website with clearly defined parameters.

Kind of like changing the old Million Miles (from any source) unpublished award of LT Gold or LT Plat to the documented defined Million Miler (BIS) program.

Or the Boost/Renew to elite levels for those who fall a "little bit short" instead of fielding zillions of calls from people wanting their own special exception to the published rules.

But then what do I know?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Where is a "five year wait for signing up again" documented? Unless I'm staring right at it or something, I don't see that mentioned in the Wiki re: challenges.

Regards
Several members in the challenge thread post about enrollment denials because of the five year limit.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

I'd guess the door might open a crack once something has been decided. But, we'll see.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:44 pm
int

Originally Posted by kauppias
Ba themselves only grandfathered their own flights to baec, not aa flights...
BA grandfathered other flights as well so long as you were able to prove that they were booked before the transition day
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:35 am

Several members in the challenge thread post about enrollment denials because of the five year limit.
YMMV?

Just enrolled a friend yesterday for the 2nd time in two years. Paid $240 and immediately received confirmation via email.

I did not mention a previous enrollment and neither did the agent.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:14 am

Im curious-- and have NO reason to doubt it-- but have there been more than one post on the 9/23 thing? Again, I do NOT doubt it, just was curious if there have been multiple reports.
Jon, I called to start a challenge in October. Agent got my card information but could not process it. She went to her supervisor and was told September 23 was the last day to start a challenge. That does not work for me, so I declined. I was advised to call back in early 2016 and ask for retroactive credit for flights taken within 2 weeks of that call. Of course there is no guarantee that the two week rule will survive either.

For the record, I have never had status of any sort. My flight patterns are changing and I expect to fly >50k miles in 2016. About 2/3 of that is already booked and easily visible an AA agent if they care to look.

Thought I would add that data point.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Jon, I called to start a challenge in October. Agent got my card information but could not process it. She went to her supervisor and was told September 23 was the last day to start a challenge. That does not work for me, so I declined. I was advised to call back in early 2016 and ask for retroactive credit for flights taken within 2 weeks of that call. Of course there is no guarantee that the two week rule will survive either.

For the record, I have never had status of any sort. My flight patterns are changing and I expect to fly >50k miles in 2016. About 2/3 of that is already booked and easily visible an AA agent if they care to look.

Thought I would add that data point.

We really have no idea what a new challenge might look like. Sep 23 plus three months would give you Sep 23 - Dec 23; sorry that won't work for you.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 466SHH
...I was advised to call back in early 2016 and ask for retroactive credit for flights taken within 2 weeks of that call. Of course there is no guarantee that the two week rule will survive either.
I think you can safely rule that out as even possible. Take the challenge now, if you at all can.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
What exactly is the difference between starting the challenge on Sept 23rd vs in October? you have 3 months from the start date to get 10,000 points?

i doubt AA is going to be making a new challenge program. They have enough Elites and dont need the ranks swelling.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
...i doubt AA is going to be making a new challenge program. They have enough Elites and dont need the ranks swelling.
They'll have something, I'd bet. One could -always-, at any given time, use "they have enough Elites and dont need the ranks swelling" but it's considerably more complicated than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.