Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Any thoughts on how they got access to your account in the first place? Did you use a guessable password, or one used for another account?
Certainly not a guessable password; however, it is one that I use for a few different accounts across the internet.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Question

Wow, this is scary. Thanks for posting the detail and I hope resolution of the remaining issues proves easy for you!

ETA: sorry, did not mean to post an icon in the title of my message, but can't delete it
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Rossodio
Certainly not a guessable password; however, it is one that I use for a few different accounts across the internet.
OP: You might also want to contact the Investigations Division or Airport Division of the Salt Lake City Police Department to make a formal complaint. If the car was in fact picked up, the SLCPD might be interested in having a chat with the renter.
ZenFlyer and DASRTR like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
OP: You might also want to contact the Investigations Division or Airport Division of the Salt Lake City Police Department to make a formal complaint. If the car was in fact picked up, the SLCPD might be interested in having a chat with the renter.
I called Payless back a few minutes ago and a number was associated with the rental request that basically confirms it was picked up. I will contact the Salt Lake City PD - good idea.
DASRTR and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
OP, sorry you had to go through this. Thank you for the detailed notes. I hope it gets resolved soon. Keep us updated.
DASRTR and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
You are warned against doing this by the FBI, Norton, AARP many organizations. It still surprises me that some people still do this. I would like to suggest that you immediately start using a password vault.
mrow and masmadrid like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Too bad it wasn’t a Hertz rental … they have an expedited and automated process of getting the rental reported as stolen.

Jokes aside, I can only imagine that the actual renter doesn’t know the vehicle was “paid for” with stolen miles. They just got an “awesome deal” for a three month rental.
AAway, mrow, masmadrid and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Jokes aside, I can only imagine that the actual renter doesn’t know the vehicle was “paid for” with stolen miles. They just got an “awesome deal” for a three month rental.
That's possible. On the other hand, this was a three-month rental apparently booked less than 24 hours before pick-up time.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, TrueBlue, Marriott Bonvoy, Amtrak Rewards
My guess is, you had credentials stolen from a data breach which shared the same username/email and password as your AAdvantage account. Have I Been Pwned is a great service that will check your e-mail address against data breaches. https://haveibeenpwned.com/
notquiteaff and DASRTR like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by guv1976
That's possible. On the other hand, this was a three-month rental apparently booked less than 24 hours before pick-up time.
Agreed, I don’t know too many people who make three month rentals at short notice. But I also don’t know many hackers smart enough to steal the miles who then pick up the car (with their own ID and credit card? Or stolen one?) and then expect to drive around for three months in what is essentially a stolen vehicle.
In any case, weird. I thought most of the stolen miles end up getting redeemed as gift cards or go to ticket brokers.
DASRTR likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Sorry this happened, OP. This is helpful information, so thank you. Hoping it all works out, and that SLCPD nails the thief. Said thief is obviously not too smart. Three months? That's a pretty long rental. It's like a "Catch Me Window."
moondog and DASRTR like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Agreed, I don’t know too many people who make three month rentals at short notice. But I also don’t know many hackers smart enough to steal the miles who then pick up the car (with their own ID and credit card? Or stolen one?) and then expect to drive around for three months in what is essentially a stolen vehicle.
In any case, weird. I thought most of the stolen miles end up getting redeemed as gift cards or go to ticket brokers.
Hackers sell information on the dark web. This is the new big industry. It does not mean the hacker is the one that used it. It could have been sold to someone.
DASRTR likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Exactly. Some Tom's Dick's Hairy.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:11 pm

I have updated the above with an e-mail I got from AAdvantage security. The most interesting thing about the e-mail to me is that AA values their miles at 2.95 cents apiece. I really do hope that one of the two police departments I have contacted can give me a report that meets AA's somewhat strict criteria in the next 30 days so that AA can do their investigation, or else I'm up the creek and will never see the miles back.

I did contact both Salt Lake City and my local jurisdiction's police departments and have filed a report with both and gotten them in touch with one another and with AA's security division. I was told after I filled out a victim notification form that I will be told if/when anyone is arrested/booked and if/when they are released and will update here if I get more info from that space. The person who did this obviously had access to my address among other information accessible from aa.com in my account so if they wanted to make it personal and go after me after they are released (presuming they get caught) I guess they could. I doubt fully that this was a personal/vendetta based crime.

I spoke casually with the police from both jurisdictions a bit about this case. One mentioned that the car being in Salt Lake City means it may have been rented in order to be driven to California or somewhere else in Utah to be stripped and parts sold, or the whole vehicle fenced. They both said that people rent cars with fake ID's with some frequency and with fake credit cards for deposits, or have a way to get around all of that stuff. I am sure the rental counter had a camera, though. It was explained to me that many rental car companies have trackers on their cars but surprisingly the higher end or larger companies often don't which surprises me. The 3 month rental may have been meant to make the rental car company not go sniffing around for the car until they noticed it was gone months later. The car may well already be gone, effectively.
ZenFlyer likes this.

Last edited by Rossodio; Jan 12, 2024 at 8:12 pm
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
This is scary, and the fact they are now adding the email of the victim to several databases to flood the victims inbox to bury the one legit email takes some thought, and time.
I guard my boarding passes, even my old ones like they are cash. I shred them. When I see ones dropped or just laying around in airports I cringe. Yet, every trip to the airport I see a handful. The criminals can hang around outside of the secured area, baggage claim, etc and probably find a few dozen within an hours time during a busy time.
Have you flown recently where a printed BP could have been dropped or such? I don’t even put one in a trash can, even at home without shredding them. But I’m sure people drop them in trash cans in baggage claim, outside, car rental centers, etc all the time.
The fact it’s a 3 month rental, and they did indeed pick up the car, crazy! I’m hoping that Payless did report the vehicle as stolen. Makes me kind of wonder if it was an “inside job”, which happens! I had it happen with my Wayfair account a few months ago. Being that 3 of us use it, it’s a professional account as I have short term rentals, I at first did not think twice when I saw a mattress that was ordered by one of the 3 people. It was the headboard that was ordered a week later that got my attention! And then saw the address it was being delivered to. Thankfully, my CC did refund me for the mattress when I reported that it was fraud. Was able to cancel the order for the headboard. The thief had their phone number on the order, one of our friends called it and actually spoke to the person as if they were a Wayfair rep to confirm the order and the address for the delivery, that call was hysterical! Hoping the SLC police can get this person. Can AA see the IP address for the redemption?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.