Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the Deal with 1A?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:30 am
Original Poster

What's the Deal with 1A?

Forgive me if this is an old question, and soon to be obsolete, but I am curious...

I only started flying pmUS post-merger, and I understand the phenomenon of row 1 being blocked as handicapped accessible or such; this is well-documented. The threads I can find discussing this refer to the whole row collectively as being open for release at T-24. However, in my experience, using ExpertFlyer, it seems that 1A in particular often remains held after T-24, showing as blocked on EF. Then, at some point, it gets released. To whom? I don't know. I'm often #1 on the upgrade list, see it blocked, then it gets released, but never to me.

So the simple question is...when is 1A actually released, and to whom?

Just curious. Most of my flights are on 319s and I'd rather sit in my 10A/F seat than 1A due to legroom and overhead issues.

Again, apologies, I am sure there must be a definitive explanation in a thread somewhere, but even with much searching I cannot seem to find it.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
What's the Deal with 1A?

To whom? To the last person ticketed/ upgraded into F. If I receive the last upgrade I may not initially have a seat assignment. Typically receive seat assignment at the gate after GA confirms that no one needs special accommodation seating.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments
To whom? To the last person ticketed/ upgraded into F. If I receive the last upgrade I may not initially have a seat assignment. Typically receive seat assignment at the gate after GA confirms that no one needs special accommodation seating.
Right, but that's what I'm curious about. If ExpertFlyer is to be believed, 1A often goes from blocked to occupied sometime after T-24 but often well before the flight goes over to gate agent control. At that time there is an upgrade list visible, but no one moves off of it when that 1A goes to occupied. So are you saying that someone received an F upgrade outside of the T-24 window but that said upgrade did not come with a seat assignment? I don't think I've ever seen that happen.

Also, many times I have received that last seat, but have never had to confirm anything with a GA.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
If ExpertFlyer is to be believed, 1A often goes from blocked to occupied sometime after T-24 but often well before the flight goes over to gate agent control. At that time there is an upgrade list visible, but no one moves off of it when that 1A goes to occupied. So are you saying that someone received an F upgrade outside of the T-24 window but that said upgrade did not come with a seat assignment?
This is exactly what happens. It just happened today to me on a flight in 48 hours. Segment changes from coach to upgrade confirmed with no seat assignment. Ticket inventory changes to X class. Unless someone changes seats in F or cancels, the seat I will receive will be 1-A.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastflyer
This is exactly what happens. It just happened today to me on a flight in 48 hours. Segment changes from coach to upgrade confirmed with no seat assignment. Ticket inventory changes to X class. Unless someone changes seats in F or cancels, the seat I will receive will be 1-A.
Very, very interesting. Numerous times I've been the "last man in", but have always received a seat assignment at the time (even if it is 1A).

Seems, then, like that's the answer. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Cuz of US great IT system it is easy to jump the upgrade list. Let's say they release 1A at T12 hours. All someone has to do is recheck in and they can snag the upgrade even if they are number 10 on the list. I always check every couple hours or so and more often then not have been able to snag an upgrade. Was great when I was gold now that I'm CP I'm upgraded 4 days out 99% of the time.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by william142
Cuz of US great IT system it is easy to jump the upgrade list. Let's say they release 1A at T12 hours. All someone has to do is recheck in and they can snag the upgrade even if they are number 10 on the list. I always check every couple hours or so and more often then not have been able to snag an upgrade. Was great when I was gold now that I'm CP I'm upgraded 4 days out 99% of the time.
That is definitely true as well. Have had luck with that myself. The mobile site is great for that.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Actually you're EXP now. CP no longer exists.

Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
When a seat opens up in first class within the 24 hour window, its because a seat (not a specific seat number) is being released for an upgrade or its because someone has cancelled or changed off that flight. When 1A gets released (if not already assigned), the block on that seat is being removed, thats it. It has nothing to do with first class inventory.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage
^ I love US and Shares for this but overall I'm very relieved that they're going to be keeping Sabre as the reservations system for the combined carrier.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If a seat is reserved for someone with limited mobility, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to block the aisle seat, for easier access?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A few weeks ago I was flying RDU-CLT-EWR. At T-48, upgrades cleared for both flights but I couldn't pick a seat for RDU-CLT. I called US who said the only seat available was 1A but because it was a limited mobility seat, I needed to be prepared to relinquish it if someone who was disabled needed it. So it seems it can be given out before T-24.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:25 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I have 1A on a flight later this month and again on a flight in August (both outbound and inbound legs). Ive had that seat booked for months now.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Don't know how relevant it is, but I was flying LAS-PHL redeye two days ago (A320) and the entire row 1 was blocked off. There were maybe 8 of the remaining 12 F seats occupied. Pre-takeoff I tried to move from 2F to 1F so that I wouldn't have to disturb my seatmate if I had to get up, and the FA told me (nicely) to get back in my seat.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
I have 1A on a flight later this month and again on a flight in August (both outbound and inbound legs). Ive had that seat booked for months now.
Online or over the phone?

Originally Posted by redtop43
Don't know how relevant it is, but I was flying LAS-PHL redeye two days ago (A320) and the entire row 1 was blocked off. There were maybe 8 of the remaining 12 F seats occupied. Pre-takeoff I tried to move from 2F to 1F so that I wouldn't have to disturb my seatmate if I had to get up, and the FA told me (nicely) to get back in my seat.
Weird. Expecting VIPs or FAMs maybe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.