Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Significant Short Haul Latin American / Caribbean Expansion 2015-2016 coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

Been leaked details (that I'm not allowed to post specifically) of 22 new routes into Latin America and the Caribbean starting within the next 11 months. They fill some very nice business holes in the system and add some nice leisure options as well. From all the hubs as well as focus cities and two random odd balls that have never seen international service on AA. All are narrow-body equipment of varying types. A couple CR9s in there too.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting, particularly in view of the withdrawal of many American Eagle Caribbean flights and codesharing initiation with Seabourne (e.g. SJU-EIS).

Thanks for sharing what you could.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:07 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This is certainly exciting if AA follows through with their plans. I assume PIT is not one of the "oddballs" as they used to have international service through US Airways in the past

The Caribbean has lost quite bit of AA presence since the dehubbing of SJU, so this will be a great "restoration" of some sort.

Thanks for sharing, I will keep my eyes peeled
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
More snack basket flights!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:40 pm

Cartagena?

My first thought is Miami-Cartagena; it sticks out as the biggest missing shorter haul out of MIA. Along with that, perhaps another city in Colombia like Bucaramanga as Colombia's been an economically bright spot in the neighborhood of late.

I could see them taking a stab at PIT-PUJ/CUN, which Delta has done seasonally in years past, and the new AA probably has a stronger FF base. Also connecting some of AA's existing Carribean destinations to CLT/PHL (example: Puerto Plata and La Romana).
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Is this all ex-MIA or from other hubs as well?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Is this all ex-MIA or from other hubs as well?
OP says all hubs if you re-read.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:48 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GSP flyer
My first thought is Miami-Cartagena; it sticks out as the biggest missing shorter haul out of MIA. Along with that, perhaps another city in Colombia like Bucaramanga as Colombia's been an economically bright spot in the neighborhood of late.
Plenty of competition into CTG from SoFlo, JetBlue, Spirit, Avianca.

Previously when AA FTers have been asked "What LatAm route would you like to see?" BAQ has been a popular option. Lots of commerce up there, mining companies etc.

Amazed that all these tiny airports have international capability, BAQ, BGA, PEI, so plenty of options if they are expanding Colombia ops.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anything not through MIA please.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Plenty of competition into CTG from SoFlo, JetBlue, Spirit, Avianca.

Previously when AA FTers have been asked "What LatAm route would you like to see?" BAQ has been a popular option. Lots of commerce up there, mining companies etc.

Amazed that all these tiny airports have international capability, BAQ, BGA, PEI, so plenty of options if they are expanding Colombia ops.
I've been looking at taking a trip to CTG using American/LAN and it's a small nightmare if your airport isn't connected to MIA; you have to change planes thrice (once in CLT/PHL/DCA, MIA, and BOG); the DFW-BOG flight gets in too late to make any connections off it.

AA just started BAQ again from MIA with a daily 319 flight, so that's covered.

An intriguing route might be a Miami-Paramaribo-Cayenne-Miami route; neither city is served by a US major, though the demand might not warrant daily service.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:52 pm

I've been looking at taking a trip to CTG using American/LAN and it's a small nightmare if your airport isn't connected to MIA; you have to change planes thrice (once in CLT/PHL/DCA, MIA, and BOG); the DFW-BOG flight gets in too late to make any connections off it.
Out of interest, which AA hub would be handier for you? Avianca already makes JFK to CTG work with a great schedule that continues on to Pereira.

I think LAN Colombia's international expansion has been less than expected. We've got GRU, AUA and CUN added to MIA. No more destinations in the USA and the code share deal with AA isn't really offering value for money.

AA just started BAQ again from MIA with a daily 319 flight, so that's covered.
I didn't know this, that's good news. You could of course fly to BAQ and get a taxi
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:23 pm

Out of interest, which AA hub would be handier for you? Avianca already makes JFK to CTG work with a great schedule that continues on to Pereira.

I think LAN Colombia's international expansion has been less than expected. We've got GRU, AUA and CUN added to MIA. No more destinations in the USA and the code share deal with AA isn't really offering value for money.
Sadly, you can't earn AAdvantage miles on Avianca, else I'd have no problem taking them from MIA or JFK. The biggest problem in general is that my airport isn't connected nonstop to MIA, which would make access to second tier Carribbean/South American destinations MUCH easier. Honestly, I'd be thrilled if I could cut GSP-CTG down to a double connect with decent timings rather than a triple connect, either through a GSP-MIA nonstop, a CLT-BOG nonstop, or an AA/LAN MIA-CTG nonstop.

The other annoying schedule quirk, as mentioned is that DFW-BOG departs in the evening and arrives at midnight, which leaves you with a 5-7 hour wait overnight for connections to anywhere else in the country. I wish they would go back to the old timing, which was a DFW-BOG redeye with a morning BOG-DFW return that allowed onward LAN connections both ways.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:36 pm

Sadly, you can't earn AAdvantage miles on Avianca, else I'd have no problem taking them from MIA or JFK. The biggest problem in general is that my airport isn't connected nonstop to MIA, which would make access to second tier Carribbean/South American destinations MUCH easier. Honestly, I'd be thrilled if I could cut GSP-CTG down to a double connect with decent timings rather than a triple connect, either through a GSP-MIA nonstop, a CLT-BOG nonstop, or an AA/LAN MIA-CTG nonstop.

The other annoying schedule quirk, as mentioned is that DFW-BOG departs in the evening and arrives at midnight, which leaves you with a 5-7 hour wait overnight for connections to anywhere else in the country. I wish they would go back to the old timing, which was a DFW-BOG redeye with a morning BOG-DFW return that allowed onward LAN connections both ways.
I was not suggesting that you fly AV, of course there is nothing stopping you flying AV but I was just making the point that they make JFK CTG work so would be nice to see AA/LA put in some more routes.

Just had a look. GSP is not particularly well connected to anything is it? Personally I'd be of the opinion that certain routes are not logical regardless of which alliance I favour. You can get GSP CLT FLL with sensible itineraries and then JetBlue has a good schedule out of FLL to CTG, it costs as little as $80 each way. Trouser the balance of your AAdvantage miles, redeem to FLL then hop on JetBlue. Just a thought, and completely off topic of course.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:56 pm

I assume several will be seasonal and/or less than daily.

Perhaps PBM or (less likely) GEO, now that they have the A319s available. (No more than 3 or 4 weekly, though)

I could see them trying a 1 weekly BON flight as well.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they added a third MIA-CUR flight a couple of days a week, but that wouldn't be new route.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:56 pm

I was not suggesting that you fly AV, of course there is nothing stopping you flying AV but I was just making the point that they make JFK CTG work so would be nice to see AA/LA put in some more routes.

Just had a look. GSP is not particularly well connected to anything is it? Personally I'd be of the opinion that certain routes are not logical regardless of which alliance I favour. You can get GSP CLT FLL with sensible itineraries and then JetBlue has a good schedule out of FLL to CTG, it costs as little as $80 each way. Trouser the balance of your AAdvantage miles, redeem to FLL then hop on JetBlue. Just a thought, and completely off topic of course.
GSP actually does okay for most things on AA/US, just not so much anything slightly obscure that involves MIA or JFK; I think we're the largest metro area in the Southeast not connected to MIA (either us or Knoxville). I'm leaning towards just sucking it up and hopping on the OMG O'Clock GSP-CLT-MIA-BOG-CTG. Coming back is better as one can make reasonable connections CTG-BOG-DFW-GSP.

Oh, and if you haven't heard, DL is starting a thrice weekly ATL-CTG in mid December. I'm planning on going before that, so it's not so much of a help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.